Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mountain Beasts

Poster: A snowHead
What's the best creature you've seen on the monutains ?

On a Chocolate stop on Morzine this Jan, my lad was making a snow ball and uneathed this little fella !

It was very fast, but once we'd grabbed him, he was quite happy to sit on a glover and nibble a loose fibre.

Also a black squirrel there and mountain goats in Saas Fee a couple of years back.

Anyone seen bear from a chair ? Or a stag from a drag ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's a shrew of some sort. I've seen alpine choughs (who hasn't), black redstarts, squirrels, marmots (both fooled by last January's warm weather).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Usual wildlife

A really helpful friend Smile

Just had to be included wink

Very Happy

Good ole Rocky the Raccoon

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The 'Beast of Milton Keynes' is sometimes spotted on the high slopes above this famous ski resort. Close friend of mine.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A small black bear in whistler....

Kramer, tell us more... we need pictures Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rabbit

How about a small white rabbit.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wombats - lots of them.... on the slopes, under the chairs, crossing the road...

Broad Toothed rats (not rats but a marsupial so named because they looked like rats to the european settlers)

Antechinus

Flame Robins - masses in the spring time of course - they herald the demise of snow

Emus (with snow on their backs they look kind of silly)

Echidna

Wolf Spiders(they grow up to 6 inch in diameter in the alps)

Foxes - rangers try to bait them so notify rangers if spotted....
Feral cat - ditto notify ranger so it can be exterminated

Wallabies

Kangaroos

Black Cockatoos - Will fly ahead of you when skiing through the trees

Currawongs - in their throngs.... although i do enjoy training them to take it in turns to be fed... line 'em up on the balcony railing and point at the next "feedee" who will then catch the offering on the wing and return to his post...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lammergeier ( Bearded Vulture ) seen from a chair lift at Le Grand Bornand a massive bird being mobbed by Alpine Choughs.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_p/2113612892/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currawong

http://www.abc.net.au/goulburnmurray/stories/s1439616.htm

http://www.wombadilliac.com.au/photoalbum.php

http://photogallery.canberrabirds.org.au/emu.htm

http://photogallery.canberrabirds.org.au/robins.htm

http://photogallery.canberrabirds.org.au/cockatoos.htm

http://photogallery.canberrabirds.org.au/woodswallows_butcherbirds_currawongs_magpie.htm

http://www.treknature.com/gallery/Oceania/Australia/photo27765.htm
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh and of course I forgot the Crimson Rosella - feed them too and there are always lots around...

and the Wedge Tailed Eagle....

Bogong moths - do they count as beasts?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
little tiger, They certainly do...I remember being in the Sydney Opera House when a cloud of them were immolated by the stage lights
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stoatsbrother, yeah .... you have to experience them to understand the concept of moths as beasts though I think Wink

I'm not too keen on the idea of eating them although I'm assured they are tasty and nutritious Toofy Grin
snow report
 brian
brian
Ptarmigan, hare, reindeer (the cairngorm ones, not sure if you'd count them as wild but they are allowed to roam, they used to do a fair bit of picnic scavenging in the car park), snow bunting.

I've seen chamois, marmottes, black bears, but all in summer.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lots of Marmottes, but I've only seen them in summer due to the fact that they hibernate.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh well if I can add the ones I've seen in summer... The list would be huge!!!!!!
snow conditions
I've seen deer, antelope and squirrels in Colorado.... also wolves (but they were in a sanctuary)...

Still no sign of bears, moose, mountain lions...

Oh also in australia see brumbies regularly.... there is a big stallion likes to take his bunch into one of the road passes.... he will try to fight your car if he thinks you are after his girls and kids.... Always pays to drive quite slowly through there in case they are around...
latest report
I've seen loads of nice beasts whilst skiing - some I would like to take home NehNeh wink
latest report
jb1970, Bunnies wink
snow report
We saw the black squirrels in Lenzerheide Valbella 10+ years ago. I've often wondered are they closer to our greys, i.e. considered a pest or closer to our reds - rare and worth having around?

It wasn't rare, but last Feb the whole ski slope stopped to watch a large corvid which was flying across the pistes and then dropped a large ball of snow it had been carrying - at that height, verging on leaving the tree line a large bird was an out of the ordinary sight
latest report
Apologies for my earlier post which I've now deleted. Don't drink and type kids.
snow conditions
Kramer, go on, let yourself go, you know you want to! (Takes one control freak to recognize another, I think. wink )
ski holidays
Hurtle, I think I was trying to be funny, but it was just offensive.
latest report
Kramer, it was funny and not at all offensive.
snow report
Kramer, it was very funny,

Forgot about Moose - seen a few of those.
ski holidays
cute family of wild boar on the road just below L2A, and 2 wolves Shocked in the same location. Gypiate (spelling?!) vulture bigger than my dog down on the piste in Val d'Isere (looks like an eagle not a vulture)..
snow conditions
I could see the white rabbit (just!), but what are we meant to be seeing in the shot of the lesser spotted ski poles appearing from centre right?
ski holidays
Megamum, I think the idea was I was not supposed to see him.
Weird thing was I was lost at the time, but I did not follow him...

What can you see here-

IMG_0059
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jbob, Something like a large python going up the tree?

I'm still baffled - see who?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, I'm guessing, but think it was a reference to the rabbit's camouflage, followed by a reference to Lewis Carroll.
latest report
...or Monty Python Laughing
snow report
Hurtle, Thank you snowHead I never even considered Lewis Carroll - I didn't ever read Alice in wonderland.
snow conditions
Megamum, sorry Hurtle, is spot on.

I am always fascinated by the tracks I see in the snow from lifts, what made them and what are they eating?
snow conditions
Megamum, Sorry Embarassed thats added in jest, look for the bearcub on the tree wink Just right of centre Toofy Grin
latest report
I've copied it enlarged it and yes, I can see a lump on that tree with a pale 'bottom', but bearcub? I haven't a clue what it is, but I've got my doubts that its a bearcub!!
snow conditions
Came face to face - within 20 feet - with a cougar in Canada two years ago. It crossed my path, then stopped to stare at me for 20 seconds before disappearing into the softly falling snow. The beast was very big and very scary; it was uphill from me and could easily have killed me with a single pounce.

Cougars are pretty rare and I wouldn't have trusted my identification, but it left plenty of very large footprints behind. A cougar's presence on that day was definitely confirmed by resort staff, so I certainly wasn't mistaken. It was a very impressive and very humbling experience.
snow report
That vole I started with this thread with, did have a certain look in it's eye and I'm sure it could have given that cougar a run for its money Very Happy
latest report
A 3 legged dear on a dry slope in Dublin! Sprightly fellow all the same. Also had a run un wiht a bear in Maine and a few wolves long story that ended well for all thankfully!
snow report
Saw a moose walking across a frozen lake by the hotel we stayed in in New Hampshire.
ski holidays
I read a "how not to get eaten by a bear" book when canoing in Canada, the section on cougars was quite scary, the advice was let the cat know you are coming ie be noisy, wear bright clothes etc (the maasai wear red for a reason). Standard anti cougar equipment is apart from a piece, is 2X pepper spray, and knife. Apprantly cougers see far more people than people see cougers.

IMG_0105
This is a leopard! but he has just had his dinner so quite safe, no helmet required.
ski holidays
Bones wrote:

Just had to be included wink

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

If you'd just panned to the right a bit you'd have got a much better shot of that dalek.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy