Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sauze d'Oulx / Milky Way - Lift Closures?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're flying off to Sauze d'Oulx for a week tomorrow, and have noticed online that there are a lot of lift closures at the minute - depending on where I look maybe over 50% of the lifts (12 of 22) are apparently closed.

Just wondering if anyone who's there / been recently knows why? Are the snow conditions so bad at the moment that half of the area is un-skiable? Or are the lifts just a bit rubbish?

Anyone know what Sauze is like at the minute?

David
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think the snow conditions are very good looking from webcams over towards that area from other parts of the milky way, even though Sauze is the most unreliable. the snow is much better this year. It may be due to wind?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David,

Going myself later in season, was wondering same thing and came across this in a response to same issue on "Sauzeonline" website.

"Although a very valid question dont be alarmed. All the main lifts are open and also all the links to other resorts are open so there's plenty to go at. Its the less used lifts that in some cases rarely open that are closed. Fear not".

Or as an alternative here is a reader review just back from Sauze from SCGB site.

"Oddly in Jan 2008 several lifts and runs weren't operating despite snow conditions appearing to be perfect, rumours were this was mainly due to low season manpower savings. Didn't really make much difference as there are 400kms to ski."

Nothing conclusive there but all I could find. From the few reports I have read it appears that the snow is holding up at moment so you should be ok.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
scuby, Sauze is a bit infamous for it's ancient lift system... they need to put their hands in their pockets over there - you spend too long going up and not enough coming down Confused
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
well I'm sure they still have money from the Olympics.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I got back from 5 days in Sauze last Wednesday.

We had 4 days skiing in fantastic conditions (lots of snow + sun + 90% of lifts open) and a day of ferocious winds on Wednesday, when a lot of the higher lifts were closed because of it.

I don't think you'll have any problems once the weather settles down. It's a fantastic ski area with some great high speed, relatively steep cruising - especially the tree lined runs above Sansicario which are not to be missed!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Christopher, oh, why ?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well because the venues recieved a hell of a lot of money. Im sure not all of it has been spent. I don't know for sure, I imagine they do.

According to a local taxi driver thought what they did spend money on wasn't very useful afterwards. The freestyle course they built isnt used often due to being directly in the sun and the snow melts often.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lifts in Sauze are crap and only made worse by very friendly but lazy Italians hard to be angry when they are so nice Very Happy Apparently Sestriere got all the olympic $$$$ Puzzled But hey once you can get over there plenty of fun to be had wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There's been some kind of financial problems with the ownership of the lifts recently, from what I've heard. When we were there a fortnight ago half the lifts were shut despite perfect conditions. I think they're just turning them off because they can't afford to run them, especially when the resort is fairly empty.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just to update now that i'm back, although there were lifts closed (though no-where near half of them) they weren't ones that mattered. Often it was one of two lifts which run in parallel, and it was quiet enough that the second lift wasn't needed. The only one that would have been useful would have been the single-seat chairlift that avoids the bowl between Sauze and Sestriere, just to help those who weren't too happy on drag lifts.

Lovely place last week though - could sit and look down from the chairlift and see maybe 2km of piste with only one or two people on it! Most I ever had to wait for a lift all week was a couple of minutes, and that was the Saturday before we came home.

David
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy