Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beaver Creek and Val d'Isere itchy for snow

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
With major World Cup ski racing events scheduled for the next few weekends, Colorado and the Haute Savoie are eagerly awaiting their first substantial and sustained snow cover.
Conditions in Beaver Creek, where battle commences on the 'Birds of Prey' downhill course on 30 November, are described as 'thin'. Val d'Isere has a prospect of mild weather, but its 'Premiere Neige' event doesn't kick off until 11 December, and almost invariably lives up to its name...

Reports from SkiRacing...and our sister site snowRacers.com
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Should the resorts usually have snow by now? I'm new to the international front and don't know when they have their first snowfalls.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote from snowracers re: Val D - "Officially there is "plenty of time" left before the prestige World Cup opener, the men's downhills on the 11th and 12th of December."

Any my trip to Tignes!!!!!!! rolling eyes
However I'm not a racer, so am not quite so concerned .... Blush
But here's hoping there's enough snow to satisfy the elite skiers!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I forget when the FIS look at the situation in relation to the scheduled race date and decide on the viability of the snow conditions and forecasts. At a guess they would make a firm decision 10 days before the event, with an alternative venue lined up.

At this time of year any ski resort, even with loads of snow, is massively keen to fill hotel beds so the FIS would have no problem switching venues. Beaver Creek has proven itself very popular as a race venue - the Birds of Prey downhill is highly rated - so Val d'Isere has less of a monopoly of prestige as an early race (and of course Beaver Creek how has that unique season-opening tag anyway.)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I ran into a friend who works for Beaver Creek Race Dept on Saturday evening, and he told me that the recent cold snap has ensured that the World Cups will definitely go ahead. The snow guns are going full blast. Apparently it was touch and go last week during the warm spell, with FIS constantly on the phone asking if they could make it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rain gauge wrote:
Should the resorts usually have snow by now?

depends on the weather, but I remember that we frequently used to ski at weekends during October at Les Deux Alpes and at the start of November at l'alpe d'Huez so I would argue that the season is getting later.

That said the autumn weather patterns are normally from the south and east due to depressions of the Mediterrenean sea and the Tarentaise resorts traditionally get snow later in the season. At the same time studies by Meteo France show that that Savoie/Haute Savoie are getting only 80% of their average precipitation these day.

In short, there will be years when there is no snow in December and these will become more frequent if average temperatures rise as predicted.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy