Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting about with a baby

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
We're going to Les Arcs in March with our baby who will only be 8 months old. I'm dreading trying to push a buggy through the snow. I know I've seen babies in sledges being pulled around, but I imagine she'll be a bit too young for that?? Any ideas / suggestions? Also clothing suggestions welcome.

Thanks
z Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Actually I have another question too. Do you bring a car seat for the coach from the airport?
Cheers
z
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rear mounted baby carrier (like a rucksack). if she can sit up unaided then it will be fine. we have two kids - one who is 4 and one who is 16 months. the eldest has been going skiing with us since he was 8 months. we have jsut returned from St anton and carried our youngest in the carrier. he is a heavy lad and we only just managed it so next year i hope he will walk. at 8 months old you will be fine. we have a frame based carrier as its more sturdy and has a medium sized pouch/bag suitable for nappies/wipes etc. sledge is ok for short journeys but hard work. baby carrier much more sensible - just make sure you wear a decent pair of walking boots.

clothing - all in one baby suit keeps them warm. we use ordinary clothes that they would wear in the Uk in the winter plus the ski suit in place of the coat. mittens not gloves - preferably get ones that are lined so there are two layers of material. we also put the kids in tights if its really cold - underneath their trousers to act like thermal underwear. although my eldest had a paddy and we had to tell him they were special ski underwear but then he is nearly 5 - at 8 months i dont think you will have any argument !!!

you are welcome to borrow our baby carrier if you are anywhere near us. we live in lincoln and have family in south yorkshire.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
wilkinet
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
when i was skiing in a ski school in alp d huez i was just about to enter the tunnel on the tunnel run and noticed another skier about to do the run with a baby in one of those rucksack things that backhojo has mentioned. I pointed this out to my instructor, who then told the skiier off and sent him back down the mountain in the gondola. Even though she told him off in french i could guess what she was saying!! I couldnt beleive that someone would attempt to ski with a baby in a rucksack especially on the tunnel!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, I'll look into the carrier. I do have a normal front one, but not sure if it will still be big enough by then. Would you also wear one of these on a coach, instead of car seat? Will definitely not be wearing her while I ski! Thats what my sister will be there for - baby sitting. Little Angel
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
3 wheeled pushchairs tend to be easier to manage.....as for the carseat.....we always drive to the resort so cant answer the bus question however, on the plane unless you have booked a seat specifically for baby at an adult price they tend to sit on your knee so i should imagine they expect you to do the same on the transfer.....may be worth asking your tour op though as i know i would be happier with a seat especially the way some of them bus drivers whizz around!
hannah
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
daveqpr, Omigod! I can't believe your post, how could anybody be so stupid? I think it ranks with the woman who decided to dry off her toy poodle in the microwave. Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zoe,Some Intersports/other ski shops will rent Mountain Buggys the sturdy three wheelers made in New Zealand although I have no specific knowledge of Les Arcs. It would also be worth mailing the tourist office too to see if they make any kind of provision or can offer help. Some high sided sledges wil be ok but I'd take a push chair liner with you, the fur lined type (Cozy toes?). Good luck
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
When walking, I would rather fall forwards with a kid in front of me in a sling, knowing I could put my arms out or roll, than fall over backwards with a child in a back mounted framed carrier, where their heads are often also quite high and the kid is very likely to cushion your landing. At 8 months a forwards sling is doable. They also keep you nice and warm!

Just a personal view.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When we stayed in Lapland, all the parents used sledges for their babies and small children. We bought one for less than £10 while we were out there and brought it back as hand luggage Laughing The Lappish pad theirs out with reindeer skins and the babies are just snuggled in quite happily.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We took our buggy to St Anton last year (normal 4 wheel buggy) - it was fine round resort as most of the roads and paths were kept clear. If they weren't clear, then it was generally packed snow and the buggy 'coped' ok. A 3 wheeler would've been better no doubt (but not particularly necessary), and the Nursery staff had the big 3 wheeler double buggys to take the kids out during the day. I thought about taking the back pack, but I was already lugging around too much stuff.

Of course, if theres a big dump, you're going to struggle with a buggy. But you can still carry baby on your shoulders, and realistically HOW much hiking around are you going to do... we went for lunch a couple of times, took baby swimming and on the gondola to show him the moutain, none of which required much getting about...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the advice. I contacted the tour operator in case you're interested, about the car seat issue. Apparantly, car seats are NOT allowed on coaches in France. Wierd.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zoe, you have a small baby, just accept the fact that your life is now over for 20 odd years and stay at home... wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
car seats are NOT allowed on coaches in France. Wierd.

not really weird. Without the means to anchor it, the car seat would become a lethal weapon in a crash, or even an emergency stop, especially for the baby who had been sat in it.
snow report
daveqpr wrote:
I couldnt beleive that someone would attempt to ski with a baby in a rucksack especially on the tunnel!

odd isn't it? I know someone who ski tours with his baby but there was a case in the local paper of a bloke who did the VB with his baby son in a rucksack last year, the baby had to have his hands and feet amputated due to frost bite.
snow conditions
Firstly, people who ski with babies in ruck sacks on their backs make me sick - selfish, utterly irresponsible, dangerous...it makes me so angry! Unfortunately you do seem to see plenty of people doing it, despite the fact that many babies have frozen to death!

My little boy is nearly 16 months now. I travel out to resorts a lot with him. I've never taken a car seat with me, I think it's been mentioned above that if there are no seat belts in the coach then the car seat is not allowed. I usually take my bendy cushion with me and he sits comfortably on that (if he'll sit still at all). A buggy has always been enough - back packs are fantastic too but you probably won't do that much hiking around...and a buggy, I find, is always more useful and manages ok in the snow if you sort of drag it backwards behind you!

Your lift is far from over!! Get out there as often as you can! Once your little one is walking they LOVE it and sledges come into their own - so by next winter you're sorted Very Happy
snow report
in answer to your question about clothes we took ours at 5 months old, we had a normal winter all in one....i always put tights on underneath or even a babygro and a pair of socks on top...as well as the usual vest and a top and trousers.....she was very snug in her buggy anyway....last year she was 14 months and it was quite hot in the sun...she got too hot in a ski hat so she wore a summer hat and sunglasses to protect her eyes....these boots were fantastic and well worth every penny http://www.littletrekkers.co.uk/shop/index.php/flypage/897/074f68cecb26bd8e69d093666db302e2
hannah
snow report
Hullite wrote:
daveqpr, Omigod! I can't believe your post, how could anybody be so stupid? I think it ranks with the woman who decided to dry off her toy poodle in the microwave. Shocked

what's silly about drying toy poodles in microwaves??
ski holidays
take a sling / front facing carrier- and or a hippychick thing and a 3 wheeler- Montain Buggy very good.

Either hire a car (hire a car seat or take your own) or go on a coach and hold child in lap- no car seats.

Ignore thread on long distance flights / the horrors of children- (quite a few snowheads have Victorian / Edwardian attitudes)
snow report
zoe, for a baby carrier the best option is one called an Ergo New Generation Baby Carrier. I have tried loads of slings/carriers etc and this is the most versatile by far. It is a 'soft' rucksack style carrier but has no frame so it is much less bulky for packing. You can stuff it into your hand luggage bag easily when you are not using it. you can carry baby on your front, back or hip with it, it is very versatile. I used it for my 12month old on my front and we were both comfy and kept each other warm! Now he is 3 I still use it occasionally with him on my back. It will carry a child up to about age 5. Google it, they are about 40-50quid but well worth it.
If you have a travel system then I would take your car seat if it's one of the infant carrier type that will clip on your pushchair. Very useful for using as a chair for little one whilst away. Also you may find the transfer coach has belts in which case you can use it. On our transfer coach there were belts and so we used it no problems and it was long transfer too we were glad of it!
Pushchair is useful for airport in case of delays for sleeping. If it won't push in resort just stow it and use the carrier.
TKMaxx have a lot of nice all-in-one baby suits in at the moment.
HTH a bit.
latest report
bit about pushchairs being useful at airports is very true.

especially at Geneva departure lounge- where there are no seats at all- even if your kids walk a bit the buggy can be useful for all the stuff you take- unless you are really ruthless about handluggage- which is the best way- do you really all need so many fleeces/coats?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy