Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A grand day out!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey folks, have just had one of the best days of a very good so far season, so here's a little report, lifted from the offpisteskiing blog: http://offpisteskiing.blogspot.com

Making the most of a rare day off and perfect snow & weather I hooked up with Al, Ewan and Jonny for what turned out to be one of the best days of the season so far, a traverse of the Breche Portetta from Courchevel to Pralognan. This starts with a quick wander up & over into the head of the Les Avals valley, then 600m of skinning up to the Rocher de Plassa.
An exposed traverse from here leads towards the start of the Glacerets descent with a sneak preview of the Breche itself (centre of photo):

Les Glacerets gave several good pitches of warm up turns in perfect powder:

Then a short traverse led to the final climb up to the breche itself:

The 'Breche' is actually a labyrinth of passageways and finding the correct one is not necessarily obvious. The northernmost passageway is quite spectacular, 40m deep and 3m wide for 15-20m.

Looking up from inside the Breche:

At the far end a couloir drops away steeply giving a blind descent with perfect pillows of soft snow:

Jonny on the first few turns:

Al enjoying the powder:

A bit of routefinding required part way down to not end up down a 'blind alley', then more perfect powder for the rest of the couloir proper:

Followed by another 500m vertical of great snow in the Creux des Dents:

And some more bonus turns to give over 1000 metres of great descent!

A happy team!

Although the guidebooks suggest continuing by the Creux de L'Ours there is alot of new growth of small trees etc so its far more reasonable to finish of on the forest road that leads back into Pralognan
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
offpisteskiing, Looks lovely. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski, and they say there's no good off piste in the 3 Valleys !! Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
it makes my day pottering round empty pistes on super snow in Crest Voland look a trifle tame! Great pictures. snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
offpisteskiing, Never saw anything like that at Val T - really very dull over there!! OTOH my back prevents me hiking, so I couldn't do your trip anyway. Sad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Is there a smiley for "deep, abiding jealousy"?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
very cool trip report
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy