Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski locks - anyone have them/use them/recommend one?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off somewhere busier than usual, and wondered if I might need to purchase a lock to use when I leave my skis outside the mountain bar?
I have my own skis - and would just hate the inconvenience of not having them. Not that they're brand new or top of the range or anything, but I wondered if I should take this extra precaution.
Previous skiing has been in small resorts with little or no time when my skis were out of sight.
Any thoughts? And if I should buy one, which one should I get?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 24-01-08 18:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you're skiing with others, leave your skis in unmatched pairs (not right next to each other obviously). Nobody in their right mind would steal two odd skis.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
May not be an option as I'm going solo Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't know, but if you're concerned enough to ask, the answer has to be 'Yes.', I'd have thought.

What do you do if your skis are nicked up a mountain (apart from rant and look for someone else's skis to nick)? Can you get a ride to the nearest downloading lift?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Simply keep them on at all times.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Try this thread:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=804968&highlight=locks+equal#804968
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My dad had his skis nicked in Verbier, the next day he got a phone call saying that someone had taken them by accident and had tracked them back to him.

Turns out he was a ski tech, and he refused to ski back on them as they were in such bad condition. So he gave them a full service! Not bad really. Smile

Something like this would be sufficient though?

http://www.edgeriders.com/product_info.php?products_id=2283
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spikyhedgehog, I got something like that from ebay for about £3.00

It isn't brilliant, but is lightweight and easy to use. Probably not enough to stop a determined theif, but enough to put off an opportunist (or someone making a mistake)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, much as i'd love to read your thread it is howerver 2 pages long- which did you buy? Little Angel
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I ended up with an Abus Sporty Sport's n Travel one. I bought a recognised name in the finish - its a retractable design with a 90cm cord and it cost about £8. I did try a small bicycle combination like the one suggested in the above thread, but I found that although it was small the head still wouldn't pass through the loops in the binding. After Pam W's recent experience I'm going to use it too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnnyh, Plenty on eBay, I bought one recently that also has a motion alarm. Designed for a laptop but just as effective with skis. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have a dankine one..I can't change the code from 000...

I have followed the instructions on how to alter it so NOT recommended..
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've got a lock which I use for my board & skis. It says "Kryptonite" on it which is I presume is the make but may be some reference to Superman Puzzled Anyway, I usually use it when I stop off on the mountain particularly at places near to telecabines etc where someone could walk off with my skis very easily.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Try to find a 'Safeman' lock.

I bought one in Mottaret at Christmas. It's so good I've bought two more through eBay.
latest report
blizt, Ktyptonite locks are amazing, I have a lock for my DH bike, which came with a lifetime insurance policy if someone cuts through it! Ever so slightly over-kill for ski's and it weighs a ton!
snow report
Ahh.....found a picture of one - I got this one, though I got mine on ebay and didn't pay quite so much

http://www.tooled-up.com/ManProduct.asp?PID=142329

When it came I also found that concealed in the front panel was a double ended screwdriver and hexagon key, just for those odd occasions when it might be useful to have them. The cable seems relatively robust - I doubt the wirecutters on a penknife/multitool would easily cut it, though it wouldn't stand a chance against bolt cutters, but that I guess is common to most locks of this type.

Oh, yes - and it just happened to be Orange!! Very Happy
snow report
Megamum wrote:
Ahh.....found a picture of one - I got this one, though I got mine on ebay and didn't pay quite so much

http://www.tooled-up.com/ManProduct.asp?PID=142329

Any link with "ManProduct" in it must be dodgy Toofy Grin
snow report
johnnyh, I have the Kryptonite ones from S&R, If Fenlandskier or Charlatanefc are around to say what they have then get theirs as they are easier to use and have a greater lenth of 'wire'.....
latest report
I've got one, combination lock and extendable wire cord. Just for peace of mind they're worth having.
ski holidays
Cheers, thanks everyone - will check these out. I'll get something just for peace of mind.
latest report
Mine is a retractable Kryptonite one, long cable on it so I can thread several pairs of skis in one go (or wrap around a bench/post/tree).
snow report
At a guess, a pair of decent wirecutters would snip the cable on my ski lock, but the hope is that the opportunist thief will go past mine because they are locked and nick the next pair which isn't. That's where the peace of mind that others have mentioned comes from.
snow conditions
I had my skis stolen last week, first time in moreyearsthanIcaretomention of skiing that I, or anyone I have been with, has had skis stolen. A lock wouldn't have helped unless they'd been locked to something else - it was by a bus stop and I suspect the thief just picked them up and jumped on the bus. The local gendarmerie said it was unusual (small family resort) but I think it will make me more wary/careful in future!
snow report
pam w, Sorry to hear that. May the boots of the little beggar who stole them hurt and hurt bad. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow conditions
johnnyh, To be honest, a determined thief will nick something regardless of how it is secured. I guess that a ski-lock (as per any other small security chain for bicycles etc...)simply serves to deter the opportunist. If you can get down to your local B&Q they do a retractable combination cable lock for around a fiver. Lightweight and does the job.
ski holidays
I've got a retractable one - would stop even the least determined thief, however when a friend of ours got her skis nicked, the ski shop told them to go out and find another pair that looked like them and bring them back!! Shocked Would stop that at least.
I proved the uselessness of my retractable lock when it broke locked shut at the top of Meribel outside a restaurant and I could still get it off the skis myself eventually

In some places in N. America they have lockable racks where you have a small ski key that fits into the rack after your skis - a much better idea and very secure - guess they are too practical (and a bit too ugly) for Europe?
latest report
A few years ago I was in La Plagne and my brother in law managed to take a nasty tumble and snapped the end of his ski. We retreated to a nearby restaurant to dust him down and we left our skis outside (mine and his with the end flapping around half attached. When we came out someone had nicked his!!!! Maybe the bindings were better? Who knows! But the local police said they had had a spate of Eastern Euopean gangs coming through the resorts pinching loads of skis. Whether that was true I don't know but it just shows that some people will steal snything if it isn't nailed down!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stuarth, a number of resorts in Europe have lockable ski racks.....but only in certain places and they cost money!

pam w, I always lock my skis to something.....occasionally that something is 2 other pairs of skis belonging to friends.....but prefer to attach them to a ski rack/bench/railing.

As others have said, if someone really wants them, then the retractable cable lock won't stop them, but it will stop the casual thief/drunk.
snow conditions
paulio wrote:
If you're skiing with others, leave your skis in unmatched pairs (not right next to each other obviously). Nobody in their right mind would steal two odd skis.

That's our usual trick that's worked so far! wink
latest report
We have the kryptonite retractable one and it goes round two pairs of skis and poles. Agree that it won't stop someone with wire cutters, but most ski theft would I would think be opportunist, so hopefully the lock will make them pick someone else's.

A friend was unfortuante enough to actually lost some hire skis in deep powder last year (yes we dug for around 3 hours but no sign of them), and ended up having to pay the rental shop for them, as it didn't fit into any of the categories of things that could happen to skis! His insurance would have paid if he had lost his own skis, or damaged hire skis. However, in the ensuing conversations with his insurance company, it came to light that had they been stolen, they would still only have paid out if 'some effort had been made to secure them' and confirmed that use of a ski lock of some sort would count.

Seems to me a good enough reason to spend a tenner to me. I know it depends on individual policies etc., but I would be interested to hear if anyone has had insurance pay out for skis which were just left in a rack outside a bar. It wouldn't work for anything else I don't think?

D
snow conditions
Deliaskis, that's the reason I bought my ski lock. My insurance stated that it would pay out if the skis had been secured.
snow report
Cheapo (£10) retractable lock from Ellis Brigham. the really cheapo £5 lock I had been using stopped retracting last year so I got a new one. is long enough to go round two pairs of skis and the ski rack. wont stop a determined thief but then nothing will. Gives cheap peace of mind while in 'busier' resorts and drops in a pocket. well worth it IMHO.
latest report
Deliaskis in that case then shirley the skis were stolen by the snow (or maybe by snow gophers,) and 'wearing them at the time' would have been a reasonable effort to secure them...

Personally, I use the tactic of hiring skis which are (i) emblazened with ski hire logos, discouraging reselling and (ii) of sufficiently low quality and highly damaged to make them undesirable.
snow conditions
I have retractable Kryptonite too. The older version came with a little thermometer! I used that lock once to tie all my luggage to a metal fence before going to have lunch at a railway station Madeye-Smiley .
snow report
I had my hire skis stolen last week in LaPlagne Centre. InterSport in LaPlagne 1800 charged me a staggering 680 euros!!! Ironically it was the one and only day of the week when they had been left outside the restaurant as a complete set. It's completely my own fault but my travel policy only covers me up to £100 for hire equipment (£350 if they're your own). I shall be locking my skis up when I visit Passo Tonale in a couple of weeks time. I suggest that everyone does the same AND double checks their insurance. It's not as clear cut as you might think and is a hell of a shock if you've got it wrong - trust me!!!!
snow conditions
xcsrjy5, Ouch. but you are so right. I never locked hire skis and used to split pairs at best. I bought my own and suddenly got very precious about them . I have a kryptonite 4 digit retractble and it has a little led torch attached. £14.99 form S&R. I phoned my insurance and they confirmed that they would consider the skis secure if they were out of my sight. I have used it every time.
ski holidays
xcsrjy5 wrote:
I had my hire skis stolen last week in LaPlagne Centre. InterSport in LaPlagne 1800 charged me a staggering 680 euros!!! Ironically it was the one and only day of the week when they had been left outside the restaurant as a complete set. It's completely my own fault but my travel policy only covers me up to £100 for hire equipment (£350 if they're your own). I shall be locking my skis up when I visit Passo Tonale in a couple of weeks time. I suggest that everyone does the same AND double checks their insurance. It's not as clear cut as you might think and is a hell of a shock if you've got it wrong - trust me!!!!

Double check and more! My travel insurance company (Atlasdirect) won't pay out on my stolen snowboard even though they were locked to railings outside the bar I was in! They say unattended property in a public place is not covered - and that applies if they are locked or not!
ski holidays
I bought a retractable lock, just like the pictures on this thread from Ikea in the gadgets section for under a fiver. Does the job.
snow report
Bri, hubbys bike was covered when on our car as it was locked to the vehicle. I suppose different insurers have different conditions.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy