Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier

Poster: A snowHead
Am looking to go to Serre Chevalier mid Jan with
Skitopia. Anyone been with them and what do
snowheads think of the resort and nightlife. Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jimmybob, PM Heleln Beaumont, they know the resort very well - but which village are you staying in? Serre Che is not just one place, and all the villages have a very different "feel". Little Angel
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Staying in Villeneuve
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Underground Bar in the Yeti Hotel in the centre of Chantemerle used to be one of the livelier nite spots. There have however been rumours of the Yeti's closure....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kuwait_ian, it was definitetly meant to be shut for good, as they had had a final fling the night before we arrived in August, BUT, there are holidays advertised for the Yeti on IGLU.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jimmybob, where in Villeneuve?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jimmybob,
My favourite resort so I obviously think it is pretty good. Never been with Skitopia.
I can't tell you much about the nightlife though a I go with family and nightlife consists of a few beers at the end of the day.

Don't know what you want to know about the skiing but a few things.
SHouldn't be q's in Jan other than possibly weekends on the nursery slopesand occasionally at skischool departure time.
The best snow is usually up at the Monetier end. If it is windy and the wind sometimes whips down the valley, the Briancon end is usually the best place to be.
There are a lot of other resorts on the lift pass which is sometimes useful in times of snow shortages or bad weather, if you dont have a car though you may need to rely on the tour operator to get you elsewhere as the public transport isn't great.
Several of the ski schools and guiding organisations offer trips to other resorts for off piste trips.
If you don't like tows head out of the Villeneuve sector where a lot of the uplift above the midstation are tows.
The Buissoniere ski school is pretty good though depending on othe r visitors you may or may not find advanced classes. The ESF tend to have very large classes and use the tows quite a lot.
If you want to know anything more specific stick up a message and I will try and answer it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
See from the Skitopia site, yuor probably satying at the Hotel Sporting, don't know what it's like, but see it has a FREE bar!!!! Don't worry about the nightlife then, it's fairly low-key, but loads of bars and restaurants (about 38 according to tourist office) in Villeneuve alone. Villeneuve consiists of 3 separate areas, Aravet, Pre-Long, and Le Bez, all close to the lifts (Aravet, Frejus, and Pontillas respectively), plus the old villages of Villeneuve, and La-Salle (across the main road). You will be nearest to the Pontillas lift. If you fancy a meal out, Le PAstelli in le Bez is excellent, as are mnay others. We have stayed in VIlleneuve at least twice. TRy websites here andhere
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jimmybob, my favourite resort as well.

There's a smallish night club there, but can't recall the name. Will post again if it comes back. Not sure what your level of skiing is, but there are blue and black runs down to resort level.

If you're after lessons, you could do a lot worse than try Eurekaski. It's an English ski school based in Monetier and from experience I couldn't recommend them highly enough. Serre Che runs a very good bus service up and down the valley, so don't worry if you end up anywhere with no time/inclination to ski back. Also included on your ski pass is a day in Montgenevre which is about 45 minutes away. Not that you'll run out of places to ski in a week!

Briancon (Europe's highest town) is worth a visit - the old town is charming, with no shortage of reasonable restaurants.

Hope you have a great time snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not Night Life but for aprez ski, take costumes and try the indoor, spa-fed swimming pool in Monetier. Great for easing aches and pains.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jimmybob, Nightlife was pretty limited when I went in 99. The underground as mentionned before was the only place and that was pretty dire! Lovely resort though, just take scrabble and Twister- add a good few from teh free bar - and wahey! Apres ski entertainment!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 22-11-04 13:41; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jimmybob, I'm off to the same hotel with Skitopia in March!! Never been with them to Serre Che but have used them a few times before...really good little company, they actually seem to care if their guests have a good time! I highly recommend them.

Last year the free bar was just that....beer, wine & soft drinks in a fridge just help yourself...the wine was even drinkable. Food was good and plentiful and the staff were cheerful and helpful.

Have a great time and it'd be great if you could give me some feedback on the hotel etc when you get back!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Serre Chev is an absolutely wonderful area. We went early Dec last year - following massive sales pitch from Mark Hunter!! ....but he didnt disappoint us!! It is very pretty - really big area - even in early season - varied terrain - good mountain restaurants... We found it one of the best places to go with a car - near other resorts for day trips - and near main road for easy access/visiting decent supermarkets if self catering etc. Have a fab time.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Serre Che fan-club are really out in force Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yeah, perhaps we should cool it all down a bit, otherwise everyone will bloody go there and it might even start to seem busy wink
snow report
Mark Hunter, read in a ski magazine, after being unheard of (or unvisited by) by British skiers 10 years ago, it's now in our top 10 list of resorts. But with an apartment to rent out from next season............but unitl then sssssssssssssh, we don't want them all to find out how good it is do we? I think we should have a SnowHeads Serre Che fanclub trip.
latest report
Quote:

after being unheard of (or unvisited by) by British skiers 10 years ago
not quite true Helen. I went with a T.O. (Neilsens I think) when the Yeti was a Club Hotel in 94. And then 3 more times. At least a couple of other Brit T.O.s also went there mid 90s. I only stopped because I hit a really bad snow year, the Yeti was sliding rapidly downhill, and I found Belle Plagne instead. Oh Joy.

But I'd be very happy to go back if I could find accommodation without silly single supplements. It really is a great resort complex for skiing/boarding and so accessible from Turin. No so from Chambery, however. Are Crystal still using that as their airport for Serre Che and Montgenevre ? It's not, however, known for wild night life. We'll leave that in Andorra wink
ski holidays
Yes, I believe Crystal still do kuwait_ian, madness! I like to party with the best of them, but have to admit that the charm of the traditional villages and the great skiing over rides any other considerations. Besides, in spite of a lack of clubs, I think there's enough to entertain.

Helen Beaumont, cracking idea. Interested to hear about that report, though. When I was there last season I heard from our host that one or two operators weren't renewing their contracts with a few of the hotels, and it was causing a riple of concern. Certainly the resort doesn't have the same infrastructure as it's larger cousins and is reluctant to allow rampant growth (a plus in my book) which might make some operators think again before investing, but there's so much more going for the region.

I know I bang on about the place, but it has that real sense of "coming home" whenever I've just passed through the Col du Lautaret on the way there. Know what I mean? Not just the rising excitement, but also a feeling of calm and the letting slip of any other concerns? Right, moving on........
ski holidays
Thanks guys for all your comments
Put the same question on Ski Club forum only got 2 replys Sad
Glad to see I can rely on you guys for some great advise
Keep up the good work Razz
snow conditions
kuwait_ian, i'm sure when i was fishing around on Crystal website, they had gone back to using Turin. Mark, my snetiments exactly, home., and from next year we will have a home there too. It was fantastic crossing the Col in the Summer, sooo exciting, having only seen the place in the winter before.
snow report
Hi there

Good to hear all positive things being said about the area. I've just bought a chalet in Puy Saint Vincent, a short drive away, so I'd be up for a fan club trip.
snow report
Welcome to snowHeads Wheely. The Serre Che fan club certainly seems worthy of a dedicated trip what with the growing list.
ski holidays
Wheely, welcome to SnowHeads. Mark, you still looking to buy somewhere? As for trips, Julian and I are there from 23rd -28th Jan, and we are hoping to be there for both Xmas and New Year next season, as the apartment will be ready snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Unfortunately we've had to postpone things for the time beingHelen. Hope to be able to get out for a trip next season.
latest report
Jimmybob, I went to Serre Che last Jan with Skitopia and stayed in the Hotel Sporting in Villeneuve. The decor is pretty dated, but it is a nice enough place, the staff were really friendly and the food was excellent. There is a free bar consisting of pretty drinkable wine, and little stubbies of beer. Its about an 8-10 minute walk into town.

Resort is fairly quiet, but its got much more alpine charm that other French resorts I've been to. There is a nice little bar in the centre of town called The Cocoon Bar. Got to know the bar staff pretty quick, so we got the odd free shot whenever we called in.

There is also a hotel in the older bit of town called The White Bear (I think!), which has a nice little bar with log fire, and one or two other good places down that end of town.

The skiing was great - loads of really nice treelines runs, and really varied pistes. I'd also recommend the Eurekaski people for lessons too. Enjoy!

Cool
ski holidays
Hi guys - am a newbie to the forum (v. impressive it is as well - ye contributors certainly know your stuff when it comes to the on and off slope activities) - can I ask a quick question about Serre Che - am trying to decide between going there or Alpe D'Huez or one of the three valley resorts for a week 15th Jan (flying into Turin) - just myself and Mrs. D - however we do want to find some life after 9pm at night (was in La Thuile the same week 2 years ago and the place was a ghost town - though the skiing was fun) - Are there 1 or 2 bars that will be relatively alive or would I be better heading to Alpe D'H/Meribel/etc. and joining the masses - not looking for a booze cruise, just a couple of nice drinks with a crew that don't look into a single glass of vin rouge/biere for two hours, contemplating Rousseau etc. in silence Smile

Great site - looking forward to browsing it regularly - any insight on Serre Che vs. other resorts mentioned above would be most appreciated
Slainte
D
ski holidays
doogo, can't help you...but welcome to snowHeads anyway snowHead
ski holidays
doogo, welcome to SnowHeads, come and join our party in the ApresZone. I'll talk to you about Serre Che later.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I love Serre Che - had a week there in '98 and a day trip over from Alpe D last season - brilliant! May look at it again in January if I can get a decent deal.

Look out for the piste map, jimmybob - it is very, very easy to get lost!
snow conditions
doogo, nightlife fairly quiet, but not dead. Nice French bars, some livelier ones too. If you want rowdy ones your going to the wrong place, but a great place nonetheless. Yeti in Chantemerle(if it's still open), le Frog in Villeneuve, and the Alpen, in Monetier-les-Bains are all good.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, don't know how you manage to look after all your guests and give the good replies Neh Neh, - am not looking for rowdy, just somewhere with a bit of atmosphere and craic, and potentially a good beer selection, though i'm really not that fussy ...... what's the skiing like? anyone out there have any particular favourite runs in Serre Chevalier and if so, what makes them so special
ta
d
snow conditions
My favourites (of many) were always over near the Aguillette chair - two wonderfully peaceful reds through the trees, quiet when everywhere else is busy.
snow conditions
doogo, there is a bar in Chantemerle that sells locally brewed Luc Alphand beer. skibandit, some of my favourites too. Always quiet, and have good snow late in the season. Also the Cucumelle, a long sweeping red which links Monetier-les-Bains with Villeneuve, but the bottom of this gets a bit fraught , as it meets the blue piste. Always littered with 2nd week skiers on their behinds. I think it's cos it gets a bit narrow.
latest report
right folks, it's going to be Serre Chevalier then - am going to book accom online .... unless there is someone out there that has a room/chalet/studio that they are looking to rent for the week 15-22 Jan in Chantmerle/Villeneuve la Salle
snow report
My wife and I are hoping to go the same week - let me know if you find anything reasonable.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 23-12-04 20:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
doogo, not till next year, and it's in Monetier-les-Bains. You could try Chris, look for him on the Member list, about no 50-60 I think. He has an apartment out there. IN fact he lives out there. You could send him a PM.
snow conditions
Good choice, doogo. Can't find my piste map on Serre Che, but there is a stunning red from Prorel down towards Briancon. Cuts down through the trees, plenty of turns, a few undulations and the chance to get a bit of air beneath the planks too. My favourite though has to be the Luc Alphand Piste down into Chantemerle from Serre Ratier. A run that has everything including "the wall", right at the end - about 300/400 meters, straight down at just the point when the legs start to burn!! Best time? Probably about 10.30 when it's quiet, mostly deserted and in top nick.

I think the previously mentioned Le Yeti in Chantemerle is still open, and you'll get a lively evening there most evenings. Good range of beer too.

If you haven't found anywhere to stay, try sending a pm to Chris. Not sure if he's sold his apartment there yet, but either he, or Lin his wife, may be able to help. You could also try Hannibals, they have a good range of places to stay. Good luck - let us know where you end up.
ski holidays
Wow. I'm going to St.Anton next week and have been doing a little bit of research on where to go and what to do.

I went to Serre Chevalier three years ago, my last time skiing and I wasn't that impressed. We went in March and there was no snow in the town and on the sides of the Luc Alphand run was no snow at all, just a grassy/muddy mess. There was lots of ice. The main ski area at the top and down the other side of the mountain was fine though.

I thought the town was lifeless, colourless and characterless and with little to do. The only club in the town we were in was English with an Underground sign, it was underground. We found a decent place after a short bus trip.

Anyway, surpised to hear all the good stuff about it! Maybe we missed out. No European resort I've been to has been as good as Steamboat Springs in the US, shame it's a tad expensive to get over there more often!
snow report
SuperFrankLampard, each to their own. Then, I have to say Chantemerle is not our favourite village either. We found it quiet compared to the rest.
ski holidays
Quote:

No European resort I've been to has been as good as Steamboat Springs in the US

SuperFrankLampard, I think you need to get out more wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy