Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA / Kuoni flight situation

Poster: A snowHead
I’ve booked a package holiday to Wengen with Kuoni, through Iglu. As it turns out I will already be in Switzerland on the date of outbound travel so I don’t want to use this portion of my flight. However, I’m told that if I don’t use the outbound flight, the return will be cancelled.

It’s not like I’ve pulled a fast one and booked a return flight as it’s cheaper than a single. I’ve booked a package holiday and just don’t want to use one sector of it. Is it really too much to ask to do that?

Nowhere in Kuoni or Iglu’s booking conditions does it mention you HAVE to use the outbound flight for the return to be valid. I’m so angry, it means I’ll have to come all the way back to the UK which is an utter waste of my time (and a day’s skiing)!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On a package holiday a few years ago, a friend couldn't come out on the saturday as planned so we just told the airline and TO when we got to the airport. She came out a day later and had no problem getting on the flight back. That was with Neilson's and Thomas Cook airlines. If you don't turn up at the airport I can't see them cancelling the return and I assume you have a ticket for the return?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If it doesn't mention them in the t's and c's then quite simply write to them recorded delivery and state that fact. Also tell them that you will launch legal action against them if they cancel your return flight after you have notified them. If it isn't in the t's and c's you will have no problem whatsoever winning your case and it won't cost that much to do it through moneyclaim online. Trust me, I'm a veteran... Very Happy

If, however, it does mention it in the t's and c's and you have simply failed to spot it, you're screwed.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
threaten to cancel the holiday and take all your money back*.

Only if you're feeling brave and know that they won't turn round and say, OK, here have your money back!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's a standard part of BA's booking conditions I believe.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If anyone asks just tell them you missed the flight because you slept in and had to make your own way there.... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Standard practice I'm afraid.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, Depends upon the Fare class ..... but many ticketed sectors do have to be used 'in sequence'. There is a logic ( bit flawed and very archaic) but not worth explaining as totally irrelevant to the case here ...

beanie1, Badger Kuoni remorselessly to go back to the 'carrier' and get an amendment made to the tickets. like everything it can be changed if someone goes a little bit out of their way to make it happen regardless of Ts and Cs.... no loss to the carrier or TO, so it CAN be done ...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmmm tricky one, as it kind of depends who the airline is.

If it's a charter airliner, then I don't see the problem. However, if it's a scheduled airline like Swiss or BA, then it is in a lot of cases normal airline policy to cancel returns if the outbound ticket is not used. There is normally something in the airline's Ts & Cs which reads something like 'flight sectors must be flown sequentially and in cases where a ticketed sector is missed, the airline reserve the right to cancel subsequent sectors'. Or something like that, i.e. you have to fly the parts on the ticket in order. It's annoying and only happens because airline single and return pricing is in a lot of cases drastically unfair, that they rtry and stop people playing the system.

If it was not mentioned in any info from Iglu or Kuoni, then you could take it up with them, but I would imagine that there is something that reads along the lines of the customer agreeing to abide by the rules of the airline (without providing you with them, I would imagine!).

It stinks, I'm not saying it's fair, but it might explain why you've got this problem.

Defo follow up with Iglu/Kuoni though as they should have included this in their Ts & Cs. I would try carled's approach.

If no joy, would you be better to just book your own flight home and not use their flight at all, rather than go back to England just to return to Switzerland?

D
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agenterre wrote:
rob@rar, Depends upon the Fare class

I thought it applied even in fully flexible fare classes. I have very limited experience of travelling in anything other than discounted classes, but on one occasion remember there was a bit of hassle with flights when a colleague wanted arrive independently of everyone else but use the same return flight. Can't remember the details but it wasn't an easy solution IIRC.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
These are the Ts & Cs Iglu provided at the time of booking:

http://www.igluski.com/supplierTC.cfm?supplier=907&siteid=SKI
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beanie1, A couple there they can 'hide' behind ... like 'Air fares are based on group travel and changes of reservations are not permitted without the confirmation of Kuoni' ...... etc., I really would badger/appeal etc..

rob@rar, I knew I shouldn't have gone there !! snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't think that it's unusual. When I've done this in the past, I've not booked the TO flight, saving a paltry sum. It's worth trying to sweet talk Kuoni and/or the airline, but I wouldn't hold your breath. God knows what the problem is; maybe some returns are cheaper than singles? I know that x-channel ferries used to (still do?) not allow you to travel for, say, two weeks using the appropriate halves of two '24 hour' tickets, which were a lot less than half the normal return price.

You might be able to change the booking to an accom only one, but by the time you've paid a fee to do that, paid for a transfer and bought a ticket home, you'll probably be several hundred pounds worse off; if you're not paying for the return flight because it's a business trip or something, it might be worth it. Otherwise, stay in CH and buy your own ticket home after the hol; better than buying your own ticket home before the hol, presumably.

Even if you get the OK to stay in CH and not use the outward leg, confirm the return flight before you come back; the airline might cancel the whole ticket simply because you haven't turned up for the outward leg. Very often on multiple leg trips, not turning up for one flight puts the mockers on all the subsequent flights (I had to go through hoops to deal with this problem on a trip to US last year); I don't know whether this applies to simple returns, but it might do.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anyone know if Ryanair apply the same rules? A friend has bought a return ticket from Stansted to Friedrichshafen. Due to a work commitment he won't be using the outward ticket, but will still want to use the return ticket.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think (and I may be wrong) that Ryanair only sell single tickets....but they allow you to book 2 singles that look like a return.
snow conditions
Agreed - should be fine with ryanair, theirs are all singles underneath. If extra paranoid play nicely and let them know you want to cancel the outbound, easily done online although you don't get a refund.
ski holidays
a.j. wrote:
Agreed - should be fine with ryanair, theirs are all singles underneath. If extra paranoid play nicely and let them know you want to cancel the outbound, easily done online although you don't get a refund.

You should get taxes and charges back, but might have to fight for it knowing how Ryanair operate.

snowHead
snow report
IIR correctly it is to stop people booking tickets from one country, where they discount them, but travelling from an expensive start point... where if you had bought the fare you would have paid more.

E.g. If you choose to buy and fly from Portugal to New York via London on BA, the fare is significantly less than if you buy in London for just the LON - JFK leg. So, to prevent people buying a Portuguese fare, but only using the cheap bit of it, they insist you to use that bit of the journey to get the low cost transatlantic... and I think its one rule for all, to rpevent trying to decifer the ticketing policy into something sensible.

It's archaic, it's restrictive practice, it's a farce, it stinks, but its the way they do things.

Having said that, in the past I have used the " missed my flight" excuse, with BA (To/From Paris) immediately I'd arrived at the other end - ie not waiting until turning up at airport for return flight - and it has turned out OK The girl on reservation saw that my name had a ticket, and let it stand with no inquisition or worries.
snow conditions
Thanks for the info guys.

I'll let my friend know abour Ryanair and he can decide if he wants to cancel his flight.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy