Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuhel - what to ski, where to eat, where to drink

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Off to Kitzbuhel on a boy's weekend so . . . usual stuff:

1. What to ski (abilities range from crap to pretty good actually though I say it myself). Particularly like 'journeys', ski over to this village, have lunch at so and so's, ski back etc.

2. Where to eat ? We're on B&B so recommendations for places to eat from bar food to restaurant.

3. Where to drink ? Where to go, where to avoid.

Cheerski
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
An excellent choice for a weekend, if I may say so. Difficult to say where best to ski. It's not a gigantic area, so you can cover it all no problem. Plenty of blues and reds, fewer blacks. There's a steepish one, Diretissima, going down to Ehrenbachgraben from Steinbergkogel. The Pass Thurn area is a bit different from most of the rest of it, and is the highest area. It is easy to ski there and back from the Hahnenkamm area, the bizarrely named 'Ski Safari', signed by an elephant (don't ask me). A bus goes to and fro as well, but the bus service in general is ropey, in my experience. The crap skiers should be able to get about the whole area if they are happy on not too difficult reds.

I have never skied on the Horn; I think it is the area of choice for boarders. I don't know much about off piste either, but I gather it can be pretty decent. There's a cat to take you up the Hochetzkogel when conditions are good.

There are a few villages to ski to; Jochberg (never been) and Kirchberg. Aurach and Aschau require a bus or a cab to get away from, so not good. For lunching puposes, there are loads of restaurants on the slopes, one or two large, modern ones, many small cosy ones. They're pretty much what you'd expect, generally good. The Maierl, between the Maierl I and II chairs is pretty good, waiter service, good grub. Plenty of opportunity for strategic coffee breaks, a pub round more or less every bend.

In the town, there are plenty of good restos; a search of this site will reveal several threads with info. Most restos are pig oriented (the Landhausl and the Huberbrau Stuberl are good), but there is a good Italian, il Gusto, and a Mexican of sorts, La Fonda. There are lots of others. Booking is a good idea.

There are loads of bars. I can't honestly recommend one over another, especially as I don't know what you like. You'll see most of the obvious apres bars as you ski or lift down to the bottom of the Hahnenkammbahn, but there are a couple of others, easily found with 5 mins walk. La Fonda is jolly, The Londoner is (as you might guess) hideous for anyone more sophistciated than a 16 year old, but the centre is small, so you can easily sample a large number in a short time.

I'm keen on leaving skis in the ski hire shop in the Hahnenkammbahn building. There are also lockers there which are handy for walking boots during the day and helmets overnight. That way, you can get into the apres without carting skis around the place while wearing ski boots, which has to be the way to go.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nickski, if it's a boys' trip the place you'll be looking for is called Pascha (nudge nudge wink wink, ask a taxi driver and tell 'em I sent you) Little Angel

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 24-01-08 15:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nickski, Recommend you take the S3 over to the Jochberg / Pass Thurn area... less people, 8 and 6 pack high speed chairs everywhere and, in my opinion, better terrain, better (less worn) snow. Bits of steepish off-piste in among the runs too. Best lunch spot out that way is the Panorama Alm (I think marked 5 on the lift map).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nickski, unless you're hotel is close to the Hahnenkammnahn, I'd echo richmond's view on the lockers in the new building. Good, clean, large enough for at least two full lots of gear.

Lovely long wide blues down towards Kirchberg, great confinence builders.

A much better area than I thought it would be. If you like exporing, consider getting the Kitzbuhler Alpen pass which also covers nearby St Johann and the SkiWelt areas, all easily accessibly by lush trains, which were free when we were there but I think that was a one off for the race weekend.

Lovely town, can't really comment on bars etc for boyski as I was there with the missus and the race-buzz was in town, but having now been there it's now on the hitlist for next years boyski .. so am sure it fits the bill. Londoner pub plus a couple of others in that 'square' near the taxi ranked looked to be the busiest. I hear there's a lap dancing bar opened in Kirchberg.

If you haven't sorted your transfer, can highly recommend Andis Taxi
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nickski, was in Kits last Feb and it was a great place to be. Steer clear of the Londoner and you'll be ok (unless you're 16-20)!

As Bode Swiller says, get the gondola over to the Jochberg area. No busy pistes, no queuing, fast chairlifts, and the Panorama Alm is a lovely place to kick off your boots for a spot of lunch.

Bode Swiller wrote:
Nickski, if it's a boys' trip the place you'll be looking for is called Pacha (nudge nudge wink wink, ask a taxi driver and tell 'em I sent you) Little Angel
Never heard of it wink

richmond sums it all up very well. For a weekend you may wish you had a bit longer. Was there 4 days and was just about right.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gilbern74 wrote:
Steer clear of the Londoner and you'll be ok (unless you're 16-20)!

have to admit we never went in, but it was by far the busiest place. The cheeky bugs wanted €10 each to get in at 5pm on the Friday before the downhill, they said the price went up to €25 at 8pm ... errr.... no thanks!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can't add much to what Richmond says about food and drink. If 'safe' offpiste is your thing then they have a designated freeride area called powder heaven off the top of steinbergkogel. Lotsa fun to be had there when the snow is good. Also the off piste run from Steinbergkogel down to Jochberg is a must. In fact the whole place is great. Enjoy Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steilhang, I didn't know that, not being an off piste monster. If you go down from Steinkogel in the freeride area, presumably you end up in Aurach or Jochberg; there's no lift back up to Steinbergkogel from that side, is there?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
richmond, no, powder heaven is basically the area under the ancient old single chair lift ( hope it's still there, havn't been for a couple of years ) leading from Ehrenbachgraben up to Steinbergkogel. That's the one on the left of the main two seater from Ehrenbachgraben up to the top.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nickski, For a map of restaurants in Kitzbuhel, you may find this site helpful. The area of Bichlstrasse and Graggaugasse (which is below Bichlstrasse and reached by steps going down from Bichlstrasse) has a number of good restaurants in close proximity eg Zinnkrug.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
richmond, I remember doing the 'ski safari' as a kid following my mum. We ended up goingacross a field, through a stream and sneaking through someones garden. Shocked

We don't let her near the lift map anymore!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all. Lot's of useful stuff.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mosh, to be fair to your mum, the lift map is pants. You need to be a forensic scientist to work out how you ski from Pass Thurn to the bottom of the Hahnemkann. It just doesn't indicate the ups & downs, what's downhill etc. Many end up in Kirchberg.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy