Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking care of your skis, before, during and after the trip.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi fellow snowheads

I just purchased my first set of skis, RX 8 Fire, and cannot wait for the week 10 trip to Canazei.

Obviously I want the skis to last for a number of trips/years, but I do not know anything about taking care of the skis.

1) Completely new skis straight from the shop. Do I need to do anything before hitting the slopes?
2) During your ski trip, do you do any maintenance on the skis. For a small trip 2-3 day or a week with 8 days of skiing?
3) After the trip what should be done before putting the skis away? Any difference if I'm off again in a week or if it will be like 10 months to my next trip?

What do you do and why?

Looking forward to some excellent advise as always in this forum Very Happy

Best
Mads
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
purplefisher wrote:

1) Completely new skis straight from the shop. Do I need to do anything before hitting the slopes?

My new skis came with a sticker to say they'd been waxed and hand tuned ready for action - your skis may be different

purplefisher wrote:

2) During your ski trip, do you do any maintenance on the skis. For a small trip 2-3 day or a week with 8 days of skiing?

Depends on the conditions, they wax may dry out a little, this is evident by a slight whitening of the base - in whic case get the skis waxed. Likewise if the conditions are very hard you may need to get your edges sharpened. If you hit anything and damage the edges or the base then you should get that seen to sooner rather than later

purplefisher wrote:

3) After the trip what should be done before putting the skis away? Any difference if I'm off again in a week or if it will be like 10 months to my next trip?

after a short trip I'd normally ensure the skis were properly dried before poutting them away and maybe get the bases and edges sorted as above. at the end of the season you should get the bases and edges checked and a storage wax applied - this is basically a thick coatr of wax covering the edges as well as the base so that the base was doesn;t dry out and the edges dont get rusty. Before your next skiing session you should then make sure to scrape off the storage wax
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
purplefisher, Like you, I bought RX8 Fires this year (just skied them for the first time last week at Maria Alm, they were great! Very Happy )

To answer your questions as best I can (SpyderJon is the guru when it comes to ski care)

1) You don't NEED to do anything and many don't, but I would at least check your DIN settings are correct and that the bindings release safely
You COULD give the skis a waxing, starting with a hot wax scrape to remove the factory wax, followed by a base prep waxing and a final wax with multi temp 'green' wax for the slopes. A ski shop will do this for you if tyou don't have the kit. You could also check the edges are in good tune, you shoudl have a base angle of 1 degree and an edge angle of 3, a little edge trick tool will help you keep your edges in good nick while skiing so it's worth the few quid it costs.

2) I check my edges each morning and give them a quick tune with the little edge trick tool if required (it only takes a few seconds). I also treat them to a bit of Zardoz NotWax every day or so.

3) After a weeks skiing I'll re-wax (with a scrape if the bases look dried out, and re-tune the edges. Doing this yourself is cheap so you can do it after every trip, Also a hand tune doesn't have to remove much metal whereas a mchine-based shop tune will take off quite a bit Shocked

If the skis are going to be used again in a week or two I just leave it at that and keep them in the spare room where its warm and dry, if they are going away for 10 months I'll close the bindings, and slcken off the DINS.

OK now the real experts can tell you what you shoual really do Very Happy Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nbt, AxsMan, thanks for replies. Guess you said it all since there has been no additional replies. Very Happy

Looking forward to skiing my RX8s, might have to go for a 1 day trip to Norway to satisfy the urge Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
purplefisher, All the advice above is what I too was given here. I've bought the edge trick tool and the zardoz notwax from Spyderjons website - www.jonsskituning.co.uk. I bought brand new skis and these had a 'shipping wax on them' I took them to MK for an afternoon to scrub this off, and then asked the local shop to wax them properly. I'm going to use them for a weeks skiing, then ask the shop for another wax, then use them for a week in April and get the shop to wax them to put away for the summer.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've never done anything to brand new skis, just skiied on them. In fact I haven't done anything to my new skis at all yet and I've skiied on them for 10 and a half days. They're probably due a bit of wax now.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy