Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weight training for skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Hello

Would weight training reduce the "burn" on the thighs on long runs, allowing you to ski for longer? Or is it simply lactic acid build up that will only reduce by conditioning?

If anyone has done any weight training what was it?

I'm finding that as I progess and go faster I'm now stopping too often.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Better skiing technique will help with burning thighs. If I lean back my thighs burn; if I stand on my skis in balance I can ski all day without significant fatigue. Yes, general fitness helps, but good technique is the way to ski efficiently and not over-use muscles.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bikeandsnow, this is an indirect answer to your question, since I've never done weight training, but I find that - so long as I keep doing them - squats, lunges, rowing, biking and cross-training (or equivalent) keep my thighs strong enough not to experience much 'burn' on long runs. Also, had an interesting insight just before going away this time: had flu very badly and was too weak to do anything much by way of training; however, my gym had recently installed some Power Plate machines and I found that doing squats and lunges on one of those - particularly squats - was brilliant, even though it didn't feel like much of an effort. No problems at all on the slopes, even though I thought I'd shot my fitness programme to pieces.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bikeandsnow, wot rob@rar says.

No amount of conditioning will let you sit in the back seat all day without pain. I've always had well-conditioned thighs through cycling (like you?) but used to have the same problem as you. With better technique these days I have no issue at all.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bikeandsnow, assuming you are at least reasonably fit and don't tire out quickly with more conventional forms of exercise then yes some dedicated weight training might help.

The leg press is an obvious machine to use but if you don't have access to one of those then squats with weights would be another good one, don't forget you want ideally to be able to lift more than your body weight because you will regularly manage to do more than 1G whilst skiing, but you want to be able to do lots of reps as well and several sets, I often do 60+ reps per set at 260Kg on the leg press (minimum of 3 sets), doing 10 or 12 reps is no good because you will still want to rest, and you need to be able to do them quickly, you are endurance training your muscles more than trying to build them to take more weight
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
D G Orf, that kind of exercise might be useful for high performance skiing, but for recreational skiing I don't think it's necessary to be that strong in the legs. I don't do any strength work, and not much CV exercise but I can ski all week without getting thigh burn if I'm centred on my skis. But if I fall into the back seat it takes just a morning's skiing for my legs to be screaming at me.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, I realise that, however it struck me that if Bikeandsnow, is generally fit but suffers with his legs only during skiing then it might be worth him doing some weight training on the legs to help, by the way I wasn't suggesting he do the sort of work out that I can manage, even the gym instructors are convinced that I'm not really human, that's the only way they can explain how someone who appears to be as unfit as I seem to be, can lift in excess of 200,000 Kg in a single gym session Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
D G Orf, I think my point is spending time on improving ski technique would be considerably more beneficial than spending time pushing kilos. Strong legs with bad technique will still lead to burning thighs.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
D G Orf, I do 2 sets of 20 at 55kg. Is this OK?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, and more fun (speaking as someone who does frequent a gym). wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman, Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Folks, yes, I'm generally fit. If I go out boarding or skiiing for 8 hours I never really tire. Just stopping for say 5-10 seconds when my thighs burn.

I'm going to do some leg extensions and squats today, relatively low weights and high reps. I'm going skiiing again March 8th so I've got a good few weeks to see if it helps.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bikeandsnow, keeping the muscles around the joints strong will reduce the risk of injury. But be careful not to overdo it with the weights - Arnie can't ski for toffee Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why train Weights to Ski? Train a Gerbil instead.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bikeandsnow, As rob@rar, says - thigh burn should not be an issue on a holiday. Shocked
snow report
erica2004, I've no idea, it would depend on what your weight is, however being still just a gentleman I won't ask, the best way to find out what weight you can do is to try doing 30 reps say 3 times with 30seconds rest between sets of reps, when you can do that work up the weight and repeat wink

Of course I should mention that I have tree trunks for legs 25" Thigh muscle 18" Calf muscle most people will not be anything like that large Embarassed
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, slow day? wink
ski holidays
red 27, It's about to get slower. I is chillin' wiv Winston. wink
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, aye!
ski holidays
You need strong thighs for optimum schuss-ing on the flats Very Happy
snow conditions
if you're reasonably fit already, i'd say plyometric exercises will make a bigger difference than just pumping weights
latest report
Bikeandsnow wrote:
Hello

Would weight training reduce the "burn" on the thighs on long runs, allowing you to ski for longer? Or is it simply lactic acid build up that will only reduce by conditioning?

If anyone has done any weight training what was it?

I'm finding that as I progess and go faster I'm now stopping too often.

Thanks

Contrary to the "I'm fit and therefore don't feel the burn" responses...I propose that your need to stop is a positive thing!
As you say, your progress has meant you ski faster and stop more. Those people that say they can ski for 8 hours and rarely/never tire cannot be putting much effort into it! I have been skiing for 31 years and raced internationally for 17 years...and I am invariably out of breath and "burning" by the bottom of most (longish) runs. That is because I love the feeling to getting maximum power transfer out of turns at speed. Yes, you can trundle down a piste all day without over exerting yourself...but where's the fun in that?!

As for training advice, skiing is pretty unique in the duration of the application of force (particularly during longer radius turns at speed). My strategy has been to do "power" work (6-10 reps) interspersed with "endurance" (~20 reps). Best to do 2-3 weeks of power then a week of endurance then back to power etc. Plyometrics will certainly help with adding dynamism and keeping your tendons etc nice and elastic. A decent mixture of approaches should keep up the interest levels too.

So, EMBRACE THE BURN...when it stops, you'll know you just weren't trying hard enough!

There's a reason they say "turn & burn", you know!
Toofy Grin
Happy skiing!

Dr. Bullet
snow conditions
rob@rar, What happens when you schuss?
snow conditions
DrBullet, Thank you Doctor.... I've always wanted to say that....
latest report
beanie1 wrote:
rob@rar, What happens when you schuss?
I go a bit quicker. But I normally run out of slope/reach my speed limit before my legs get so tired that I need to stand up.
latest report
You see it's that that makes my thighs hurt. That, and trainers making me ski on one ski...
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
since I've never done weight training, but I find that - so long as I keep doing them - squats, lunges, .... keep my thighs strong enough not to experience much 'burn' on long runs.

Technically squats and lunges are a form of weight training, just with body weight resistance. Very Happy
snow conditions
Kramer, hey, who's the pedant round here?! wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bikeandsnow, I do three sessions of cardio a week, and two sessions of weights. Far more important than leg strength is core muscle strength. I wouldn't recommend the leg press as it strengthens your lateral quadriceps almost in isolation from the rest of the muscles in the body. Far better to do free standing exercises, kettle bells work very well.
ski holidays
Hi, I'll put my two penneth in. Personally I think some weight training specifically squats will help. I've been doing 2 sessions of Body Pump every week for the last 3-4 months. Body Pump is a weights based exercise class. I went skiing last weekend just for one day, and after a non stop day, 9-5 with 1 hour for lunch my legs didn't burn at all, I didn't feel any after effects and could have quite easily skiied again the next day as fresh as I was the first. My fellow weekenders who don't weight train (though are generally fit) were all complaining of aching muscles, not being able to move etc.

I think that the reps of squats that we do every lessons has significantly improved my upper leg strength and this can only help. I will continue and maybe up my weight training until my weeks holiday to Montgenevre in March.

As an early intermediate I think more leg strength also helps when controlling turns down steeper, more difficult terrain.
snow report
The more you get tired the less effort and commitment you put in to turns and lean back on your ski's. The burn comes quicker when you lean back. It's a vicious cycle. I'm lucky I've done karate for years and using you own body weight for conditioning is the best way.
ski holidays
bushid0, welcome to Snowheads!
snow report
Hi all. I think I might be doing DrBullet's "power" and "endurance" mixture at the gym. Like liz09, I do BodyPump twice a week - the "endurance" stuff. I also do a weights workout twice a week with much heavier weights and far fewer reps - the "power" stuff - and that's followed by some cardio.

I started this routine about two years ago, and have really noticed that I can ski much faster and harder now - and I don't need to stop for hot chocolate breaks all the time any more.

Now the question is DrBullet, - what is Plyometrics??? I want to try it. I want to be more elastic.
snow report
sheepmadang, plyometrics = explosive power exercises. eg jumping up and down or more so jumping over things (eg a box)
snow report
Arno, aha. I think I saw a chap doing that this morning at the gym. He was doing sort of jumpy lunges, then star jumps, then jumping sideways over a step. I was quite intrigued by it all, cos he really was the most energentic person in the gym (and the most purple faced) Must ask him if that was plyometrics.

If only I had known I was going to ask about plyometrics today, I could have asked him this morning. BUT If I had known that I was witnessing plyometrics this morning and asked him about it then, then I would NOT have asked about it now, and therefore I could not have known that I would be asking about it now because I would not be.

Oh crumbs. i have to stop drinking wine at lunchtimes. Embarassed
snow conditions
beanie1 wrote:
bushid0, welcome to Snowheads!

Cheers beanie1
ski holidays
sheepmadang, sounds like it
they are truly knackering so a purple face is almost guaranteed. having been doing plyometrics through the summer, i found my legs had so much more bounce in dodgy snow conditions
snow report
Arno, fabuloso. I will definitely incorporate some plyometrics into my regime.

So, Bikeandsnow, I would take Arno's Plyometrics and DrBullet's Power-Endurance routine as the best training for this skiing fitness malarky.

Since starting the power-endurance regime, this is what I find when out skiing with some of my friends:

They are expert skiers, and go a bit faster than me (OK, alot faster). They ski for a bit and stop for a rest. I catch up and we all carry on skiing together again because I don't need a rest. So, I must be doing something right somewhere.
ski holidays
Kramer, what are kettle bells?
ski holidays
sheepmadang-

They're weights, but due to the shape of them it makes them harder to lift, and so increases your grip strenth, and core muscles, makes you more fatigued, and generally gives you a better work out.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy