Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
I am going to whistler on Saturday for the first time. Does anyone have any tips on best runs, lifts, bars, restaurants etc Very Happy or any things/places to avoid Sad

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do the zip trek - it's ace!!!

Apart from that, Crystal lounge does great wings, Cheetahs (or something similar!!) is good & the Keg for a good steak.

I loved the runs off the 7th Heaven lift on Blackcomb.

Whistler is a fantastic place - have a great time!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How long have you got to read the answers?

I don't really have any favourite runs - they're all fantstic (definitely hit 7th Heaven though - I managed to be almost the first on the lift after it had been closed due to heavy snow, it was clear blue skies and powder - couldn't have been better). Grub Stake is short but great for some long, fast turns. Zig Zag and Rock'n'Roll are good too. Still haven't done Spanky's Ladder, but everyone keeps going on about it. Cruiser Bumps were already getting big before Christmas. If you can cope with a slow chair, then the terrain off Crystal Chair is one of the quieter parts (I presume because no-one does like slow chairs...)

Best lift... mmm... well, Jersey Cream was quite clean, it seemed to be in good nick... rolling eyes

Elements (under, I think, Summit Lodge) was recommended to me for breakfast. It was devine. I had a Dungeness Crab Eggs Benedict that was one of the best dishes to pass my lips.

Welcome to snowHead .
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I will give them all a try. Still trying to decide where to start on sunday morning Blackcomb or Whistler mountain? Confused
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suggest having a ski lesson or two. They'll show you all the best bits. Note the best ones are not necessarily marked on the piste map - you have to know where to look!

Best bars - Dubh Linn Gate and GLC at the bottom of Whistler, Merlins at the bottom of Blackcomb, the Brewhouse down the village stroll or Cittas and the Amsterdam Cafe, also down the village stroll.

Try and get to the lifts early or you'll be queueing. If you go to the top of the Whistler gondola, that's a good start for a morning warm up - most runs from there if you turn left out of the gondola station will take you down to the Emerald Chair or if you turn right will take you down to the Red Chair. Try not to go straight down to the bottom of the mountain first thing because that's where all the queues will be - and the snow is better off higher up.

Then keep an eye on the light board by the top of the Whistler gondola for the peak chair and the harmony chair to open. They're both good zones for beginner to expert skiers/boarders.

Most of the black and double-black runs are un-piste-bashed areas rather than pistes as such which is why I suggested a ski lesson to do some guiding.

Blackcomb and Whistler mountains each have their own personalities too. The blackcomb glacier is an interesting area of blackcomb and all the boarders seem to like 7th Heaven up there.

No real places to avoid. It's all good. Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Do the zip trek - it's ace!!!

2nd that, but if you do do the longer of the two treks, the long zip is well worth it Very Happy Easy way to decide which mountain, check whats open on each and look at the gondola queue for each - just join the shortest Toofy Grin

An idea of what you like to ski and how experienced you are would be good. wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I believe they still have Ski Hosts, who will show you round the mountain free of charge. They certainly helped me when I first arrived. You just need to find their meeting place and time.

Have they not this season got a new lift that links Whistler and Blackcomb, rather like the ill-fated Les Arcs - La Plagne link? Is there any feedback on how it's going and whether it's really useful or not?

There are so many highlights in Whistler, it's hard to list them. Wherever you ski there, you'll have a great time. The only drawback is the jetlag...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So may runs - so little time!

I might be getting the name wrong, but I seem to remember the newly opened Symphony area being pretty amazing.

The final run down to the bottom of the chairlift takes you through a (signed) gladed area - and you really do feel like you're James Bond, zipping through the trees.

As the others have said - get up early to avoid the queues, and then take an early lunch.

You could always pay a few extra dollars and buy yourself a 'fresh-tracks' ticket, which gets you up on the gondola an hour or so early and includes a cooked breakfast at the restaurant at the top of the Gondola. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stephen buck, the cable car between Whistler and Blackcomb is opening next season.

They've got quite a lot of good gladed runs.

I'd tend to start on Whistler (unless you've been skiing recently) as there's a bit more getting into the groove terrain. Blackcomb has become my favourite of the two (it wasn't when I went the first time) because it has got absolutely everything - lots of bumps (I renamed it Mt Mogul last season), gladed runs, open powder (7th Heaven), steeps... Then of course you've got the bowls at the back of Whistler mountain.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Give "Fresh Tracks" a try.

You will be jet lagged anyway and it can be a good start to the day.

Cost is about $20 .
Early up the lift around 7:30 with breakfast served at RoundHouse. During breakfast they open some lifts and you get some fresh tracks......

this time of year lifts close about 3pm or 3:30pm so an early start can be good.

You can pick up your lift tickets and passes the night before.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Echoing stephen buck, ski with the ski hosts. They meet at 11am each day. They're a bunch of great people and they can't half ski.

They're (apparently) not allowed to take you down any double-black terrain, but in my experience, they'll give you a good workout. It's a great way to spend your first couple of days, and learn the lie of the land.

Then sign up for one of the instructional programmes - Ski Esprit and the Dave Murray camps are both excellent.

Blackcomb Glacier on a bluebird day (ideally after an overnight dump Very Happy ) is a must.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good reading for me as I am headed to Whistler on Sunday for my first time. There are several in our group who have skied there before frequently, including one from Vancouver and one who lives in the UK but wintered there last year. I'm counting on them for local beta. If you want to link up for some runs, send me a post back and we'll figure out where to meet. Happy skiing!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you like fun trees, hit Bark Sandwich on Blackcomb, especially after new snow. Nothing wild, but I always enjoy it ...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

If you like fun trees, hit Bark Sandwich on Blackcomb, especially after new snow. Nothing wild, but I always enjoy it ...

and 'In the Spirit' also on Blackcomb - again nothing wild but fun Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
must do's are

on blackcomb
spankys ladder
blackcomb glacier
'everglades' on 7th Heaven
couloir extreme

on whistler
peak to creek
west cirque
i like 'in deep' and 'unsanctioned' tree runs which are best lapped on garbonzo chair
dave murray downhill and lower franzs

avoid symphony chair, its pretty tame terrain.

a good bar is the cinnamon bear located in the Hilton hotel
good nightclub is Garfinkels and Tommys

if you plan to rent skis or snowboards you should book online ahead of time, save some money
Ski rental in Whistler
latest report
wbsr, I agree - unsanctioned is great fun, but you need a lot of low down snow for that, don't you. Therefore it's a rare treat! Smile
ski holidays
muzza77, peak to creek is a great run with a great bar/restaurant at the bottom (cant remember the name but do remember the food Laughing )
rock and roll is great fun to Laughing
snow conditions
Neilski, That'll be Dusty's in Creekside, good apres - i'm surprized no ones mentions going in there for wedges and butt rub mayo! quality! tastes much better than it sounds tho!
snow report
Liam,
Quote:

i'm surprized no ones mentions going in there for wedges and butt rub mayo!

Naa thats because the ribs were so tastier Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

If you want fun head down the skiercross course on Blackcomb Razz Razz
snow conditions
Bones, Ahhh dunno though those wings were good too! Not mentioning the Kokanee (sp?) Toofy Grin
snow report
Liam, get up early, do the peak to creek, then have one of those big brekkies with the very very thick toast Very Happy
snow report
rayscoops, By the time you get down Peak to Creek breakfast well out the window, it's at least lunch by then wink
latest report
We enjoyed Blacks - beer was interesting, and being older and fartier, didn't like the hubub of the Cinnamon Bear [though it seemed awfully popular with the young crowd, what what]. Amsterdam was good too - still suffering from the giant nachos serving...
snow report
muzza77 wrote:
I am going to whistler on Saturday for the first time. Does anyone have any tips on best runs, lifts, bars, restaurants etc Very Happy or any things/places to avoid Sad

Cheers

buy the pocket guide books for the slopes. they do one intermediate and one expert.
gives a bit more advice on slopes and runs.
also

http://www.geocities.com/daggers_jones/skicanada2006/index.html
have a great time

food on whistler mountain go to the chick pea fro about 11 and you will miss the main lunch rush

try and get the early bird ticket so you cna get on the mountain at 8 am after they give you breakfast form 7.30 it's great being one of the first on a run.
buy a couple of hand warmers as it can get really cold
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy