Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowchains from Barcelona to Andorra.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We'll be heading up to Soldeu from Barcelona at the weekend in a hirecar, however none of the hire companies at the Airport seem to offer the option of snowchain hire on their websites.

Can they be rented out from the hire company when we arrive, or will we have to buy them en route, and if so where?(we've never driven this route before, or used snow chains)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tricky one. There's a good bus service from the airport that's probably cheaper though.. http://www.andorrabybus.com/web/index.php
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi, cormid80, in this route is very unlikely you'll need snow-chains before the border of Andorra. After the border, if necessary, you can buy snow-chains in a gas station and there are several along the road to Soldeu.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi - having done the journey from Barcelona to Arinsal around 5/6 times I can say that you are unlikely to need chains as the roads on the Spanish side are very good and the climbs are not that mad at all, in fact its a fairly gentle drive just long .......... i've also caught the bus from Barcelona airport as well its not a bad service as long as you don't mind "mad" bus drivers .............
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok so well just buy them if we need them, are they expensive?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
2 years ago we needed chains in march for the exact same journey. it was a bloody nightmare. as we entered andorra the snow was falling gently and we thought we would make it. we got to with 500yds of the hotel and chaos began. we could not get up the hill and ended up going back down the hill inadvertently and then coming to a standstill across the road. there were many many cars stuck. putting chains on in the freezing cold and dark at 11pm in deep snow was seriously unfunny. advice - if its snowing when you hit andorra buy the chains and put them on before you need them (there is a big service station at the border and a couple on the way. we were really lucky that there was a garage nearby and he was staying open late to cash in on the opportunity to sell loads of chains. we paid about £35 for a ford focus. make sure you know the tyre size of your car before you buy them and read the instructions in the armth of the car before trying as they are like some complex mensa puzzle if you have never used them before !!! good luck and enjoy the holiday
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cormid80,

I've driven from Girona to Andorra for 4 years. Most likely you won't ever need chains as the Tunel de Cadi avoids the higher ground in Spain and the Spanish/Andorran border isn't that high. If you do, then buy them at any Garage. Likely cost is c. €40.

When in Soldeu one year, it snowed heavily for 3 days. The mountain was closed for a day and a half; the road was closed above Soldeu, our car was snowed in with only the ariel showing, the road to France was closed for weeks. We bought chains at the garage in Incles near our apartment! For the return trip, having dug out the car, the snow on the roadway was gone before Canillo and there wasn't even snow at the roadside by Andorra la Vella. The chains were a useful insurance, but not needed.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We needed chains one year to get up to Soldeu from Andorra la vella! Unfortunately the hire co at Girona airport had supplied the wrong ones and they b********d up the car and after hours of phone calls to the hire co, they had to send a taxi to get us back to Girona at the end of our weekend
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the tips, so it seems we can get them easily if we need them during the week, or for the return trip.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm going up to La Molina/Masella (Pre Pyrennes but on the road to Andorra) for one day on Sunday and hiring a car from Girona, don't think I'll need chains as it appears very warm at the moment but I'll keep an eye on the forecast.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fraserpreston wrote:
Hi - having done the journey from Barcelona to Arinsal around 5/6 times I can say that you are unlikely to need chains as the roads on the Spanish side are very good and the climbs are not that mad at all, in fact its a fairly gentle drive just long

I have to take issue with this kind of advice. The fact that someone has used a road 6 times, 10 times or whatever and not needed chains is neither here nor there. It;s just chance. On any trip into the mountains you might encounter snow; you carry chains for that eventuality. Maybe you never need them, but you need to have them with you for when you do need them - and you never know when that will be. For example, the weather may be fine for going up to resort for a week's holiday, but who knows if it is going to be fine for the return trip? Maybe take the chance on a one day return trip when the forecast is realiable, but otherwise ...... no.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agree with you completely ccl. This evening I just managed to get home without having to put them on.....frozen road/hill with a few cms of fresh snow, a few cars with balding tires or, I suspect, normal ones, and you have an instant jam. For peace of mind a backpack shovel and torch can also be very handy. Useful to check the treads on your carhire too before heading for the hills.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ccl wrote:
fraserpreston wrote:
Hi - having done the journey from Barcelona to Arinsal around 5/6 times I can say that you are unlikely to need chains as the roads on the Spanish side are very good and the climbs are not that mad at all, in fact its a fairly gentle drive just long

I have to take issue with this kind of advice. The fact that someone has used a road 6 times, 10 times or whatever and not needed chains is neither here nor there. It;s just chance. On any trip into the mountains you might encounter snow; you carry chains for that eventuality. Maybe you never need them, but you need to have them with you for when you do need them - and you never know when that will be. For example, the weather may be fine for going up to resort for a week's holiday, but who knows if it is going to be fine for the return trip? Maybe take the chance on a one day return trip when the forecast is realiable, but otherwise ...... no.

Please note the word "unlikely" ........................
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, went to book my hire car today, but on perusing the T&C realised they'll be wanting to swipe my credit card when I arrive-one of which I don't have DOH!! rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
I've always resisted the temptation of credit, preferring to work with what I've got (or haven't).
That'll teach me to try and be sensible.

I'm guessing most hire companies are unlikely to accept a debit card when we arrive?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fraserpreston wrote:

Please note the word "unlikely" ........................

The clear inference that was liable to be made from your posting was that you don't really need to bother about having chains - the use of "unlikely" regardless. My advice is unequivocal: you might need chains - even if it "unlikely" that have to use them - therefore take them.

Font Romeu was chaotic the other week - largely because of the number of motorisits sans equipement
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy