Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you "stretch" inner boots?

Poster: A snowHead
I think I was sold a dummy a few years ago when I bought my boots in Exeter. They are too tight on the right boot and when I pointed this out, they put a heel lift in. This stopped my nail turning black and falling out but it's still tight and can't be doing much for my skiing! Confused

The inner boot is tight on my big toe. Is it possible to stretch these?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mdemon2, The Toe Box of the Shell can be stretched and/or Grinded. The Inner Boot's Sole can be heated and stretched slightly. The Base Board can be ground down to give more vertical height also. All of these things I've had done to my current boots, by CEM in Bicester www.solutions4feet.co.uk and LARGEZOOKEEPER Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mdemon2, Yes
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll have a look. Thank you!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mdemon2, my current set of boots had a section of the inner boot cut out to allow more space for my foot.....however I wouldn't suggest doing it yourself. Consult an expert!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Elizabeth B wrote:
mdemon2, my current set of boots had a section of the inner boot cut out to allow more space for my foot.....however I wouldn't suggest doing it yourself. Consult an expert!

Er...I live in Devon! I think SnowHeads is the closest I'm going to get to finding an Expert! Very Happy

I'm interested in what you had done to yours. I was thinking of doing the same. Just make enough room for the big toe and replace the insulation over the top. If I can find an expert I'll get them to do it, otherwise I can see Duct Tape in my Inner Boot's future. Smile Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mdemon2, Where are you going skiing? Why not get some recommendations for a good bootfitter in resort and let them stretch the toe box a little. I wouldn't advocate chopping bits out of the inner boot, it's what keeps your feet warm.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mdemon2, mine were done by an expert and patched up with duct tape. Wait until in resort if you can't get them done in UK.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had a similar problem with a pair of boots a few years ago. I took them to Ellis Bringham and they sorted the problem out. It turned out that all I needed was a custom foot bed, cost about £30-40 but made such a big difference. My foot was sliding forward in the boot due to lack of arch support.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spyderman wrote:
mdemon2, Where are you going skiing? Why not get some recommendations for a good bootfitter in resort and let them stretch the toe box a little. I wouldn't advocate chopping bits out of the inner boot, it's what keeps your feet warm.

Les Arcs. I suspect Rob@Rar might be able to help me with that.

It has a good footbed in it, and a heel lift. I think it needs the toe box stretching as you say.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Elizabeth B wrote:
mdemon2, mine were done by an expert and patched up with duct tape. Wait until in resort if you can't get them done in UK.

Hmmmm. If an expert does it with Duct Tape, I'm suddenly feeling that I might be just as qualified to fix it! Will have a go I think.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My 1991 vintage C&A gloves are still going strong with a bit if help from duct tape. This year they'll be demoted to "spare pair" status again due to a new purchase Toofy Grin Would have been cheaper to buy a new roll of tape though rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mdemon2, No point in stretching a Liner if it has nowhere to go to, you must have the toe box of the shell stretched first.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The shell is fine - good point though. The fitters checked this the first time I took them back to complain.

Right, the deed is done. The toe piece was a stiff nylon-type material so I marked where my big toe was (with some weight on it) with a pen. Then I cut carefully down both sides and across the top, to where this material joins a seam running across the whole of the forefoot. Underneath is a thin foam fabric insulation which was almost untouched - a slight nick just above the toenail which gave a bit more stretch. I folded duct tape around the edges of the loose bit to form about 5mm of "bridge" to fill the gap. Then I fixed the whole section in place with more duct tape.

I've been wandering around in them for a while and they feel GREAT!!!! Very Happy

(This is a Technica boot, for info's sake)

I will be packing more duct tape and a credit card in case they fall to bits in Les Arcs... Wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lol

so... you come on here asking for expert opinion, get that opinion, ignore it, cut up your inner boot anyway and the jobs a good 'un!!!

brilliant Very Happy

rolling eyes
snow conditions
mdemon2 wrote:
Hmmmm. If an expert does it with Duct Tape, I'm suddenly feeling that I might be just as qualified to fix it! Will have a go I think.

I know this is a bit late, but it's not the use of duct tape that needs the expert. It's knowing where and how to cut the boot without weakening the support it gives you in other areas.
snow report
shoogly wrote:
lol

so... you come on here asking for expert opinion, get that opinion, ignore it, cut up your inner boot anyway and the jobs a good 'un!!!

brilliant Very Happy

rolling eyes

I feel thoroughly told-off. Embarassed

Expert opinion seemed to be "take it to the shop and get them to do it".

To be honest, the moment I heard that "experts" were using duct tape, it seemed obvious that there isn't anything too hi-tech going on. So, I can DIY for £nothing and see if it works and if it goes wrong, I can still get new liners for £xxx.

I promise I'll eat humble pie and let people know if it falls to bits.

wink
snow conditions
Elizabeth B wrote:

I know this is a bit late, but it's not the use of duct tape that needs the expert. It's knowing where and how to cut the boot without weakening the support it gives you in other areas.

Does a liner give support? I thought that was the shell?
snow report
Update: Went to Tamworth for the first time at the weekend. Really enjoyed it, although the slope's a bit short.

The liners? Absolutely fine! My right foot no longer feels like it was wedged in a matchbox. The liner was still snug and looking at it afterwards, there was no "give" in the repair. I reckon that's it fixed!

So, naysayers, it seems like this is a fix that can be DIY'd. Ner ner ne ner ner. Twisted Evil

(Shame really, I had my eye on some zipfits... Wink)

Thanks for the help though! Much appreciated.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy