Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why am I curling up my toes on right foot ?

Poster: A snowHead
I have only skied on piste so far, for about 4/5 weeks roughly. I often find my right foot gets tired and when I become aware of it I notice that I am curling my toes up on that foot. My boots are a snug fit and I have moulded footbeds.

Is there someting in my technique that would cause this ?

Or is it just nerves ?

Mike
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
micky, you're probably trying too hard, learn to relax.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
micky, I sometimes curl my toes when I'm leaning back and trying to bring myself forward.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have always curled my toes when tense as if it operates "toe brakes"! I didn't even realise it until an instructor told me to stop doing it - apparently he could see it written on my face. I have to keep reminding myself to relax them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
micky, I do the exact same thing, only on my right foot. I put it down to overuse of my dominant right foot (I'll always pick a left turn if I have a choice...), which then tires it out more quickly compared to my left, and I think I curl/flex the toes instinctively to try and un-cramp it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was told by a very good instructor to focus not only on uncurling the toes, but on curling them upwards rather than downwards, especially in powder.

One other thing I noticed is that, since I padded out the inners of my boots so the heel doesn't slide up anymore, I tend to curl my toes far less as I 'control' the boot better. So perhaps you may have too much space in the right boot?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
micky, How do your boots feel?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have this problem with both feet and it's clearly tension that causes it. I have been wondering, just this week, whether to take my boots (which seem snug enough otherwise) to a bootfitter, to see if the psychological problem can be alleviated by some physical help. Would be interested to know what the bootfitter snowHeads think.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, I think it's a balance issue, or the boots/footbed may not be doing their job.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Hmmm. Maybe I shall, finally, have to get my ar$e over to Bicester. Profeet are much, much nearer for me, though. Is there anyone in particular there that you'd be able to recommend? (Sorry, a bit off topic.)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle, I'm sure there are great people all over the world. Some talk, some work. I don't know anything anymore, i'm going to hang up my apron i think.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, don't do that. If it were cost-effective for me to pop over to Chamonix for a boot-fitting, I would do it INSTANTLY! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle, That's nice to hear. I think it's 'SKI-SATURATION', time for a break.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Hurtle, I think it's a balance issue, or the boots/footbed may not be doing their job.

Yes a fit issue, boots too large, too small ? Or maybe a fitness issue - muscle fatigue and whatnot.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I used to do this - but once I got new that at fitted, and felt secure on my foot it stopped - now I don't have room to curl my toes even if I wanted to!
snow report
micky, sounds like you should get a board - you are half way there with the toes! Very Happy
ski holidays
Hurtle, Hamish is the main man at profeet. The OH had very good experiences with Leith there a couple of years back Toofy Grin and can't praise enough what she did with his boots, having always had really bad boot problems.
snow report
cathy, thanks!
ski holidays
micky, my baby son clenches both his fists when I feed him his last bottle of milk at night. I think it's a combination of excitement and concentration and perhaps a little fear that he can lose his bottle at any time!

I actually uncurl his fists for him and then he relaxes. Maybe you should stop and mentally uncurl everything, relax, then go again!

Just a thought. Very Happy
ski holidays
Tim Sawyer, what a lovely 100th post! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy