Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time to Les Arcs - advice needed

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

It's our first time to Les Arcs. We're going on the first week of February and we'll stay in Arc1800. We’re a party of 7 (including kids) of an intermediate level. Trying to avoid asking too much from the kid's legs, we mainly ski blues and “not too much challenging” reds.

For those of you who have deep knowledge of the resort, I'd like to ask some help. Considering:
-the above mentioned preference for blues and easy reds
-the usual conditions slopes (best quality of snow, less crowded, best scenery…)
-the convenience of the lifts (quickest and less crowded ones…)

Which are your recommendations for excursions itineraries from/to our Arc1800 hub to/from the various areas:
-Vallandry / Plan Pesey
-Arc1600
-Arc1950/2000
-Villaroger

Note: for the return paths, I can anticipate the quickest route would be the main criteria Smile

Your recommendations would be very much appreciated. Also other tips (dos and don’ts) would very welcome.

P.S.: sorry for my poor English (I’m not a native English speaker) and for the long post.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Carlos_L, Welcome. snowHead

Have a read here. Some run info here.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=34737&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=diamonds&start=40
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thefatcontroller, thanks. Yes, good run tips in this post. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Carlos_L,

Enjoy your trip. Les Arcs has everything you will need from begineer to expert, you will have a ball Cool
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thefatcontroller, thanks. Can I ask you some more help to clarify this question, please:
Looking this morning at the lifts and run status in the Les Arcs web site, I found the following with regard to Villaroger:

VILLAROGERPistes Nom Etat Note
AIGUILLE ROUGE Fermé
LES LYS Ouvert
PLANAY Ouvert
PRE Ouvert
RHONAZ Ouvert
SOLLIET Ouvert
VILLAROGER Ouvert

Remontées Nom Type Etat
TK RHONAZ TéléSki Fermé
TS DROSET Télésiège Ouvert
TS PLAN VIOLETTES Télésiège Ouvert
TS REPLAT Télésiège Ouvert

Looking also to the piste map, with AIGUILLE ROUGE run and TK RHONAZ lift both closed, I can't find out to get to Villaroger from the other areas. Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Carlos_L, Lanchettes chairlift just above Arcs 2000, though I would not read to much into the Les Arcs website as the Glacier is often closed in the morning and open in the afternnon.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 24-01-08 10:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Carlos_L, take the Lanchettes chair from Arc 2000 and ski down to Villaroger. The Rhonaz drag lift is often closed, and the Aiguille Rouge can be affected by weather (high wind is normally an issue).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, wink Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thefatcontroller, rob@rar, thanks a lot for your fast reply.
However, I'm still confused: in the piste map available in lesarcs.com, the only run going down to Villaroger from the top of Lanchettes chair seems to be AIGUILLE ROUGE (red part of it) which is closed... is there any other hidden (in the map) run ? or maybe the "closed" for AIGUILLE ROUGE is only applicable to the upper part ?... Puzzled
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Carlos_L, Ignore the website, wait till you get to the resort, runs open and close all the time at short notice depending on weather.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Carlos_L, As you ski from the top of the Lanchettes, you are on the 'red' part of the Aiguille Rouge, but after a few hundred metres, it widens right out and you can take a road (Green?) all the way down to Villaroger....then it is three chairs back up to a blue run into Arc 2000
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If the Lanchettes chair is open it's almost certain that the Aiguille Rouge red towards Villaroger will be open. If the Lanchette chair is closed (perhaps because of poor weather) the resort will open the Rhonaz drag if it has sufficient snowcover to allow skiers to get to/from Villaroger.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thefatcontroller, Guvnor, rob@rar,
Thank you. I was really surprised if the Villaroger link was closed with these snow and weather conditions

Now it's much more clear to me. Very Happy

thefatcontroller, you're right, no web site can compare with the real local experience Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
HI Carlos

For a mixed ability group - then we used to like the runs under the old "plan bois" lift which on the piste map is just to the right of the main bubble out of 1800 and is now renamed "DERBY69" - NOUVEAU on this years piste maps.

A couple of laps of that lift after lunch is always nice as people can take blue, red, black as they feel and then re-group at the top bottom, and some limited "between piste" potential - and then heading over to the vallandry sector can be fun.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Carlos_L, Another favorite of ours is from Transarc 2600 down to Peisey. Its not difficult and its just a nice long blast. snowHead
snow report
Carlos_L, The Rhonaz drag lift is usualy only opened when the Lanchettes chair is closed due to bad weather. Villaroger is well worth a trip out to, but do plan to have lunch at La Ferme or The Aiguille Rouge.

Enjoy the skiing, it's great there.
snow conditions
bertie bassett, thefatcontroller, CP, thanks for the tips. Just trying to catch them all in the piste map. snowHead

CP, are La Ferme and The Aiguille Rouge restaurants located in Villaroger 1200 ?
latest report
Carlos_L, yes....(this is on the assumption that the Aiguille Rouge is the last restaurant as you actually come towards Villaroger - it changed ownership last season and I haven't been there since). La Ferme is next to the carpark - and the chairlift back up. Be sure to go there - Michele had a rough season last year due to the conditions, and he's a bloomin' nice bloke...
ski holidays
Guvnor wrote:
Carlos_L, yes....(this is on the assumption that the Aiguille Rouge is the last restaurant as you actually come towards Villaroger - it changed ownership last season and I haven't been there since). La Ferme is next to the carpark - and the chairlift back up. Be sure to go there - Michele had a rough season last year due to the conditions, and he's a bloomin' nice bloke...

Guvnor, thanks. Already noted in the "must dos" list. Smile
snow conditions
Carlos_L, Go down to Villaroger and go to La Ferme. Right at the bottom of the slope. Have the plat du jour, you will feel very happy after. I love the place. Heavy snow potential for late next week to. snowHead
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, sounds good to me (both, the plat du jour and the weather outlook stuff...). snowHead
latest report
Carlos_L, and if your legs give out on the way down the restaurant half (could be the Aiguille Rouge but I can't remember) way is pretty good now too, but you must eat at La Ferme at least once (Diots Polenta - you won't move for an hour!), and at Beliou la Fumee if it looks like being a snowy day, although for the first time last week we couldn't get in because it was fully booked 2 days ahead.

Skied down to Villaroger on Sunday before the snow and it was fine - should be better still now with the 15cm new snow, although it did rain down to about 1350 - 1400m early on Tuesday.
ski holidays
Martin Nicholas, thanks, now there's a strong reason to take a second lunch excursion to Villaroger snowHead
ski holidays
Carlos_L, Just thinking about it, next week is the start of school holidays you may want to try and book La Ferme?

http://la.ferme.free.fr/
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, thanks for tip. Already added the contact to the list. snowHead
ski holidays
Hi again chaps - keep finding the Les Arcs threads and you continue to be fantastically informative - thanks again. Little Angel

Meanwhile, at the risk of being sent off to a boarding thread - any tips about avoiding flat bits? (it's not for me its for a friend of mine, honest). I read somewhere that its a criticism of Les Arcs? Is this fair? In any case any hoppity warnings would be appreciated. snowHead
ski holidays
kewhoward, Bit flat in the centre of the Arcs 2000 bowl around the start of the Plagnettes lift, going across to the Grand Col chair has a flatish bit. Think La Plagne has more flat bits.

Its ok to admit to knowing a boarder, we all should support the underprivledged NehNeh Laughing
snow report
Hi, in the context of "to avoid", any tips on long slow lifts to keep away from ? Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Carlos_L, Pre Esprit up out of Comborciere was very slow but needed a reast after skking Comborciere which was brillant. Charmotteger out of 1800 is an awful slow old 2 man lift. Better options that than one. The ones of out Villaroger are slow but gives you a chance to digest your plat du jour Toofy Grin
snow report
thefatcontroller, thanks again; very useful info. Smile
ski holidays
Carlos_L, Beware of the lager at La Ferme - Mutzig Old lager at lunchtime can make for an interesting trip home. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Guvnor wrote:

I think the restaurant you are talking about is Soliet, which did change hands last year and improved no end too!! The Aiguille Rouge is in Villaroger near the church.
ski holidays
CP, thanks, this beer is going also to the list Very Happy
snow report
Hi,

Coming back to this post just to add some feedback: we had a wonderful week skiing Les Arcs from 2-9 February. The weather was brilliant: mostly sun with a 1,5 snowy days to have some fresh snow but no wind at all which also allowed very pleasant skiing. Very Happy

Thank you all for your very useful tips (I didn't miss neither the La Ferme or the beer... Very Happy ).

Report/pictures available in this link. Sorry, it's written in spanish (well, not good spanish, but a sort of span-guese... Smile ). Don't worry if you don't understand the wording, just basic informations about the resort you know very well...):
http://www.nevasport.com/reportajes/articulos_detalle.php?id_articulos=887

The only part which didn't run very well was the return transfer (already covered by a separate post
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=36296&highlight=
but this was a learned lesson...
ski holidays
Carlos_L, .... great to see a happy skier ... snowHead
latest report
Carlos_L, What lovely photos - thank you snowHead
ski holidays
Carlos_L, nice photos. Looks like you stayed in the Alpage du Chantel. Great choice of accommodation Wink
ski holidays
Carlos_L, Nice pics - we're going at Easter and will piggy-back on all the useful info here - thanks again to all the contributors snowHead
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Carlos_L, nice photos. Looks like you stayed in the Alpage du Chantel. Great choice of accommodation Wink

rob@rar, you're right. We stayed in Alpages du Chatel; Chantel 1 building. The general standard (very good) of the complex fitted our expectation. Smile

With regard to the specific appartment we were allocated to, the feeling was not so good. We reserved 2 appartments for 3/4 people each and asked in advance to be alocated in Chantel 1 rather than in Roselend. When we arrived we got:
-one appartment in the basement; south facing with no balcony, only with windows
-another in the roof, north facing with very limited sun lighting (roof windows almost covered with snow, tought this was a bigger appartment...)

This was a semi-desapointment, especially when we're looking to some of the big balconies appartments (keeping in mind we're paying the same...) Sad

We were proposed alternatives in Roselend. But as we arrived late (about 20:30) and we're tired and hungry (namely the kids) we didn't care and didn't have a look at the alternatives. Maybe this was a mistake...

I still don't know which is the criteria for the room allocation, but I suspect the arrival time is a part of it... Puzzled
ski holidays
Carlos_L, that's a shame. I have a small apartment in Chantel (in the St Bernard building) and have also stayed in Chantel 1 and Roselend. As you say, it's a nice development and a good location for skiing, but not all apartments are as good as each other. Will you go back there?

I think Chantel 1 is a much nicer building, so not too much of a mistake to not look at Roselend for an alternative. I think you're correct that time of arrival influences apartment choice a little bit.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy