Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski hire prices tignes val claret & which ski to try ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi,

I'm in tignes val claret 1st week feb.

err, sorry for the stupid questions but have seen 75 euro mark online booking for ski hire ( for decent skis ) - A reasonable price ? or should i wait till i get there ?

othere issue is which skis to try ? something forgiving for a tired/unfit intermediate skier to cope with would be best I guess. Puzzled

what about rossignol zenith Z5 ? a fat-ish ski so might be useful keeping up with my snowboarding chums

OR salamon crossmax 8 - softish, short and slalomy - an easy ski that would cope with my wayward technique ?

will be throwing my self down blues/reds and the occasional black run, want to be improving my sloppy carving.

ALSO roughly what length for a ~85ish KG boy in these skis ? I know the hire people will know this.

sorry for the ramble !

Gareth.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
try the atomic nomad crimson, I skied them last week in Meribel and they were superb in all conditions from icy end of day piste to new powder in the woods - I'm buying a pair!

sorry, don't know enough about lengths to advise, the ones I tested came to the top of my head
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatgaz, the main thing (IMO) is to make sure that your hire agreement allows you to change your skis if you want to - lots of them do this, & then it's up to you if you want to change according to the conditions, do a personal day-to-day ski test or just fall in love with a pair & ski them all week...

BTW, the current objects of my affections are Rossignol B78 Bandits. There was no way they were going back prematurely! You could bear them in mind... nice skis snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatgaz, If you are hiring for 2 people, Ski republic do a '2 pairs of skis for the price of 1' and they also let you chop and change through the week. They are owned by snowtec so their skis get serviced regularly, to a high standard, and most of the skis are pretty good.

They should stock a good few pairs of skis, wouldn't reccomend going for the bronze level as they are for total beginners, maybe give some twintips a try if you are with snowboarders!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatgaz, Fischer RC4 carvers are often available as hire skis - they're not bad... The Crossmax is OK too I think, mate of mine hired them last week and liked them. Other Salomon skis are the X-Wing Blast which is good fun, quick turning. I'd say 170's for your weight and ability - that's a very amatuer opinion though. As Jo225 says make sure you can change them during the holiday, and take advantage of that, as by trying at least o couple of different pairs you'll start to get to know what suits you.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cheers for the ideas,

I'll have a look to see if i can swap ski's about, it might be fun to try some twintips if the boarder types decide to hit the snow park for a day - con't be any worse than snow blades.

Something slalomy but not too technical/stiff is probably what i want. ie forgiving of a wayward technique...
Would these mid-fat ski's (all mountain ?) rossi zenith or sal xwave etc. be a bit pointless on french groomed piste ?

It may be easiest to trust the people in the hire place to pick me a suitable pair...

Gareth.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatgaz wrote:
Would these mid-fat ski's (all mountain ?) rossi zenith or sal xwave etc. be a bit pointless on french groomed piste ?

It may be easiest to trust the people in the hire place to pick me a suitable pair...

Gareth.

no and yes respectivly Gaz I'd say... X-Wings (not waves) carve brilliantly. Some hire shop staff are a whole better than others... maybe try to pick up a recommendation for a good shop from snowHead 's on here...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
red 27 wrote:
Some hire shop staff are a whole better than others... maybe try to pick up a recommendation for a good shop from snowHead 's on here...

Well, i'll be in Tignes Val Claret, so any advice as to which shops are to be avoided .....

I was thinking of 'booking' hire online with 'sport glisse' via snowrental.net - so if anyone has any comments / opinions. there is no clear info regarding swapping skis if i don't like them.

it's just me hiring so i can't use any 1 for 2 offers at ski republic.

Gareth.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy