Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oldest bit of kit?

Poster: A snowHead
Father in Law was clearing out his loft at the weekend, and came across a box of all his old kit....

As a result, I am now the proud owner of a pair of 1974 Killy goggles - they are truly horrific. I look forward to gracing the slopes of some poor, unsuspecting resort in a few weeks. Laughing

What's in your wallet? Any advance on 34 years?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gosh!

I thought I was doing well with my gloves - 15 years old this season. They are still going strong though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Guvnor, I think Mr DS has some skis of approximately that vintage still in the loft. His old fluorescent ski jacket is late 1970's, but I have banned him from wearing it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Last season, on a Verbier trip, I killed my poles, bought in 1990 when I was a poor student.

I was saying on a chairlift ride how I won't change them until they break, as they have been lucky for me and have overseen my transformation from high intermediate to offpiste fiend. Hey presto, on the very next run we're doing some breakable crust which lives up to its name by breaking under my ski tip, I topple over and I fall on one of the poles, which snaps in two.

The interesting thing was that I skied the breakable crust better with one pole!

(Can't compete with 1974 though - my only equipment around that time was reusable nappies...)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
By far the oldest and most decrepit bits of kit I use are my knees. despite a couple of trips to the body shop I have been unable to get any new ones, but I am considering trying to get the old ones done up a bit.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just binned a pair of round mirror lens, white rimmed, leather sided Jublo glasses. I loved them.....till I got a pair of sunnies I could actually see through, about 14 years old IIRC.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not skiing related but I still have a pair of shoes I bought in 1973. Don't wear them much but if I hang on to them a bit longer they may come back in fasion. Embarassed
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
1 Berghaus bum bag with roll-outable upper backpack bit. From my first ever ski trip in 1982.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Julbo glacier goggles.. a lucky buy ( in that I didn't recognise the technical features in the glass, I do now ) bought in 1985 but they are great and still packed. Best bins ever for me, IMV... quality!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can't beat 1974, but I do own still some skis from circa 1978-1980ish I think. Red, blue and grey Fischer ones, straight (natch) with random bindings totally different from what we use now. Really dull paint-scheme on them, no texture on the tops at all, really like two planks with curvy ends!

I bought them for £5 when I lived in Austria in 1998 and learnt on them, then finally saved up for 'proper' skis by the next year. Am feeling quite nostalgic thinking about them. Although I guess I would no be that good at skiing on them these days, having got used to shaped skis.

The pair I bought in 1999 fortunately lasted me until last year when I got my new ones.

D
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I will sport on Fartbag day at EoSB the all in one suit that I bought for our first ever trip skiing in Lenzerheide which is easily 10+ years ago. We are also still using the cheap gloves we bought then (though I have decent ski ones now for my use) DH uses his old ones just for keeping warm at the bottom and also the wolly beany hats we bought too.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Okay, I have my dad's old skis, poles and boots (leather lace ups) which I think date from sometime in the early 1960s (pre-65). The skis have unfortunately lost their old cable bindings so it's just the skis (if anyone happens to have some mid-60s cable bindings kicking around give me a shout 'coz I'd be interested in acquiring some and restoring the skis).

I also have my first pair of strap on kiddie skis which I think date from the late 1960s, they're small wooden and bear the name "Lilliput" and were "made in Switzerland", or so the writing on the tails say (I have another pair I picked up from eBay a while back but they're not in as good condition).

I have a box of assorted old ski boots which date from the 60's too - most leather and one pair that are a mix of plastic shell and leather inner, must be one of the earliest plastic boots I'd guess. All of that's currently in storage so I can't check the make.

I've also recently come into possession of a pair of old wooden skis with Kandahar bindings, probably dating from the 1930s Very Happy

Additionally I have some of my old kit, a couple of pairs of K9 skis and a pair of Rossis dating from the early 80s and a pair of Salomon rear entry SX90s. I also have an old Salomon bum bag and boot bags dating from the same era as well as a Rossignol ski bag and a few other bits and bobs.

Who said I never throw anything away! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Base Scraper & Cairngorm Mountain Racer sweat shirt bought at the Hill Shop on Cairngorm.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I walked past Blacks on Kensington High Street the other day and they had a pair of old, I'm guessing approx 20 years old, K2s with the bindings ripped off, as part of their window display. I couldn't work out if the display was supposed to be 'retro' or what, bit odd really Puzzled
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
1980 pair of Hexcel Mirage 190cm Skis. My first pair.
latest report
I still have a pair of 200cm K2 TRX carbons outside. The binding was a Quadrax Carbon one. They recide on the snowblades at the mo.
ski holidays
I'm still using (flourescent) poles I bought in 1988 Very Happy
latest report
Class Poles
snow report
Flogged all our old kit on E bay back in November and made quite a few quid profit Very Happy
snow report
My first skis. A pair of K2 612s (think they were early 80s)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy