Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French Smoking Ban

Poster: A snowHead
I wondered whether anyone has any feedback on how the new smoking ban is going in France?

I'm taking the family to Chamonix at half-term, and am looking forward to frequenting smoke-free bars and restaurants for the first time.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stephen buck, Fantastic. Experienced it 2 weeks ago and it was being honoured everywhere. Some seem to think that passive smoking is a good idea Confused , I personally think the banning of smoking is great especially if you have kids.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thefatcontroller, that's great news. I remember having to conduct my office hour in the Office Bar in Argentiere while repping, and having to go outside every so often just to get some fresh air. It seemed awful to be breathing in all that smoke, when there was lovely, clear mountain air to be had.

Totally agree re the children. We recently took the kids on a cruise on a British registered ship, but the smoking ban apparently does not apply to ships, so we had to endure smokey bars etc, whihc was not good.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Was being observed in Vallandry last week - lots of people shivering at outside tables leaving lots of room for us inside snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Even the Bar Tabac in Monetier had a plastic table and chairs outside when we were there a few weeks ago. Couldn't say if the ban was being observed inside or whether it was a token jesture, but it was being observed elsewhere.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Working well in Megève and St Gervais two weeks ago.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Smoking bans are the best news since they banned spitoons snowHead It's great to be able to go out and not come back wreaking of the stuff (smoke that is, not phlegm) . Laughing

Sadly Austria has yet to see the benefit. It was about the only drawback we noticed last week.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AxsMan, Sadly as I bought the Guinness Book of world records for my son recently I know that Austria are the worlds top smokers per head of population in the world, so don't (well do) hold your breath for a ban.

Someone was trying to argue on snowHead 's the other day that proper ventilation removes passive smoking issues. Nuts Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
At the Roundhouse we're relieved of one major factor. We had a smoking ban (except for our outside terrace) before the law came in. But ...

... people would smoke in the toilets, even the disabled toilet.

We had a capacity (3000) Groove Armada gig some months before the law came in and the smoke alarms went off because of this, causing a full evacuation of the building. 30 minutes later we could re-start the concert but the evening was really messed up. The place was really jumping before the music stopped!

Now, everyone seems to respect that there's no indoor smoking at all.

Based on our experience, I guess it's caused a lot less aggravation for music venues everywhere.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good point re Austria - I'm glad now with hindsight that we chose Chamonix for our holiday. We had been considering St Anton, but smokey bars would have spoiled the apres.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
it was being faithfully observed the other week in Argentiere, although the two local chaps I was chatting with whilst outside a restaurant for a smoke weren't too happy about it...there was talk of a revolution in the air !
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I really enjoyed skiing in Austria. However, until they ban smoking, I will probably ski elsewhere in Europe
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The smoking ban in France seems to be being honoured and it was a joy to sit in a bar smoke free. However like here I like to sit outside weather permitting but all you get are the puffers taking up all the tables outide. The smell of smoke wafting across you is still noticable even outside.

Off to Austria this weekend and I assume by johnboy, comments that they have not yet implemented a smoking ban.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Many of the bars had implemented the smoking bans before the new year. At christmas it was half and half in my experience. It was much nicer being in a smoke free environment.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Super Eagle, Nope, ashtrays plentiful in bars and restaurants.
snow report
Super Eagle, No ban in Austria and no date yet set for a ban Mad .
snow conditions
I'm off skiing in Austria this weekend but at the moment I'm full of a headcold and bunged up sinuses, the smokey bars should either kill or cure Shocked
snow report
FenlandSkier, same here. Get Well Soon Sad
ski holidays
Seems to me its like every other country that has brought in the ban...all the usual talk of "it's part of the culture", etc etc, but when the ban comes in people get on with it. Ireland did it, I've been witness to the crowds outside Glasgow pubs on wet November nights, Italian Maestros are making do with a coffee and grappa in their chosen cafe before popping outside for a quick ciggie before work, and here in France I don't suspect it will be any different.

Long may it last, I've enjoyed a couple of smoke free summer soirees in Scotland, and am now enjoying coming back from bars in our neck of the woods (3V) not reeking of smoke...
snow report
To be honest, in the bar where I work, the smell has got a little worse since the smoking ban came in. Now there's no more smoke to cover up other smells made by punters.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 21-01-08 20:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
All in order in Valmeinier last week.

Still fagging it in Saas-Fee first week in December.
snow conditions
I wonder how the bar maid in Les Lutins, L2A is coping!!!
snow report
johnboy, god knows...............
ski holidays
Is it still classed as smoking outside if you connect 20yds of hosepipe onto a fag and smoke it remotely Very Happy
snow report
FenlandSkier, Thats called a bong wink Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy