Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites / Arabba ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi snowHead 's

Looking at various snow reports I am thoroughly confused and worried...
What's the snow like out there now?
Until recently Ski Club was posting quite abysmal figures for Arabba for example, but all of a sudden showing today 50/180cm.
J2ski is still reporting 25/35cm as of today 21st Jan.
Official website is silent on snow depths.
Puzzled

Could anyone advise what the real situation is? Percentage area open? How is steeper terrain looking?

Thanks in advance
T
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There was a big dump last week in the Dolimites with some more forcast this week. The 50/180 cm is what is being reported for Arabba on the SCGB site and the two web cams I normally check are covered in snow.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, Riverman, would you be able to post links to the webcams?
I have read about the big snow fall, good news of course - so has the area gone from 35cm to 180cm? I sure hope it is correct...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/arabba/livecam.athx?ccode=en-US

Try this one. I'm going out to Arraba in March so have a daily interest in developments !
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Turns'n'turns The 180cm would be up on the Marmalada .
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter S, The snow-making facility in the Dolimites is first class, I was there last March and there was plenty of on-piste snow. I am in Arabba for two weeks this March and with the big dump last week and the snow-making capacity feel very relaxed about snow conditions.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Turns'n'turns - don't take the ski club reports too literally - I was in Arabba 3 yrs ago for a w/end and enjoyed a v nice 20cm of fresh snow whilst there - this never featured on the ski club site (when I came back) and they had the conditions report hopelessly wrong. Webcams tell you all you need. Depth there is maybe less impt than others given that so many of the slopes are basically pastures and less rocky than some... Have a great trip - top resort.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just back from Arabba.

Rumors of lots of fresh snow turned out to be dead on the money. The whole area looked incredible, perfect picture postcard stuff.

Great conditions everywhere in the Sella Ronda - we did a large chunk of the circuit + Folgarida + Marmolada and it was superb everywhere we went.
Temperatures were hovering around zero Friday/Saturday getting higher on Sunday saw 6 degC indicated once but we didn't believe that one but it felt like spring. Lets hope its just a short temperature spike.

Off piste around the Marmolada glacier was about as good as Ive ever come across, we only did the easy access stuff, too lazy and not adventurous enough to stray too far from safety.

By Sunday the lower altitude off piste down was for mornings only, getting heavy going in the afternoon and a re-freezing later on - bit beyond my skill level.

Anyone heading there in the next few days is in for a great time Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wow!
Sounds good - thanks a lot for info and help. Fingers crossed.
Quote:

we only did the easy access stuff, too lazy and not adventurous enough to stray too far from safety.

That's precisely what I am after Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I came back from Arabba on Saturday. Conditions are about as good as you could hope.
Seems to have been a lot of snow between Jan11-19.The week I was there (19-26) was pretty much blue skies all week, but the on-piste snow doesn't seem to have detiorated at all, despite one very warm day and one windy day that scoured the exposed off-piste.
You may get a few moguls/icy bits late afternoon but the piste-bashers flatten everything overnight.
Anyone there over the next couple of weeks will have a great time.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Any Arabba updates ?

I'm out there on 1st March

Thanks
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They had quite a bit of snow again a week or so ago and it's been pretty cold since (and forecast to be so for the next week and a half). I'm there on Saturday so will issue an update on my return
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dsoutar, I have been monitoring it closely (although it won't change anything rolling eyes ) and noticed it seems pretty cold even during the day.

Cheers and have a good time.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good to meet the Arabba crowd. snowHead

Not going out till the 8th march but keep on looking anyway. First time in the Dolomites so really quite excited.

I get the impression that it is a very dry, quite cold and sheltered part of the Alps, which is presumably part of the reason for the success of its artificial snow operation ?

Carn't wait.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I returned fm Cortina on the weekend. Pleased to report the conditons are generally good throughout the region. Big snow came on Saturday 2nd Feb, it was snowing that Saturday, Sunday and Monday, by Tuesday afternoon the clouds dispersed and we then had glorious sunny days. The temperatures were a bit high for February, below zero during night then climbing well above zero by afternoon. In spite of that the snow was not slushy, even on lower runs. All runs were open including all black ones. In sunny spots the powder was becoming heavy and crusty and not very enjoyable to ski but on shadowed slopes it was drier and lighter days after the big snowfall. I had some good few runs in knee-deep around 5 Torri and in Tofana. I also noticed that the mountain streams were quite shallow while further down in the valleys the rivers were practically dry so there isn't much melting going on. I guess the frozen base is now acting like a fridge keeping the layers of new snow in good condition. Last Thursday freezing cold wind was blowing, hopefully it brought colder weather.

Peter S, I can't really judge whether it is a dry area (the only humid area I have been to is Whistler) but again pleased to say I saw some snow canons stored away at the side of a piste and obviously idle. Very Happy
snow conditions
Turns 'n' turns,

i was at cortina on saturday - then drove up to kronplatz for a few days gettign back tuesday

glorious sunny blue skies and good piste conditions - only encountered one cut up run all the time we were there

no snow while we were there though although the snow makers were on in kp towards the end of the day
snow conditions
Just packing stuff up for tomorrow when we are off to Canazei ( next to Arabba ) for a week.

Will post report upon return.
ski holidays
CP, It will be great to hear from you after next week. I'm interested in skiing the Sella Ronda round to Selva/Canazei, so let me know what the resort is like on your return as well as the snow.

Thanks
ski holidays
CP, we're off to Canazei early next month! Can you give us an up to date resort review when you get back?

Cheers......
ski holidays
Just got back from Arabba and will report that things are in good condition. The whole area has a good snow cover on piste (I am in no way qualified to say anything about off-piste) and the generally cool temps are keeping the snow well. It gets very cold overnight (about -12 this morning when we set out to come home) and this means the piste bashers can put everything back in place.

To be honest, as moderate piste skiers, we had a heavenly week, and it looks set to continue.

This was our first time in the area, and I think we were all stunned by how wonderful it is. I'll put more detail in when less knackered, but if our chalet mates from the week are around, HI!

snowHead
ski holidays
Got back late yesterday, 3 hour delay due to fog at Verona - the airport was a zoo!! Must be a rival for the Lyon 'tent' on a normal day.

Great week in spring like conditions, but the pistes are holding up and there is still a lot more snow around than this time last year. Did the Sella Ronda 3 times ( 2 green and 1 orange ) with variations like Saslong and the Grand Risa thrown in to make the days longer and the legs burn a bit more. We did not make the hidden valley this year as it requires a very early start to get to on skis via Armentarola from Canazei and the early morning lift queues were quite bad. Canazei only has the one access point from the town ( Arabba has 3 and is a smaller dormitory town ) so it was very busy until after 10 am. Other minus point is that there is only 1 run back to town and this is a 10 minute walk back to the gondola.

Canazei has much more to offer than Arabba in terms of shops, bars/clubs, restaurants and other activities - it has a large indoor pool complex with sauna etc. However I am an Arabba fan and will be back there next year as I prefer the smaller and quieter town with easier access to the ski areas. The pistes in the Canazei area are predominantly marked as red, although they are all mostly tinged blue. However the red marking could ( and did ) put a nervous 3 or 4 week skier off and access to any variety of blue runs means a treck over to the Plan Gralba. Arabba would in my opinion be a better base as it has easier access through Campolongo to Cherz/Pralongia for the gentle long ( and quiet ) blue runs through the trees.

We travelled with Neilson, probably won't do again as there service was decidedly average. Stayed at the Hotel Diana which was pretty good, nice large, clean rooms that unusually had lots of storage and hanging space. We were on B&B basis so had to eat out at night - best restaurant we found was El Pael, really nice menu and wine selection with very good service, unlike most of the other establishments we tried.

I will convert this post into a resort report when I have finished unpacking and sorting out the laundry Crying or Very sad

Cheers
snow conditions
CP, look forward to reading your report. Thanks
ski holidays
CP
Many thanks for that, we are due in Canazei on the 1st next week , looks like the gods will be kind with new snow forecast. Flying thru Venice .
Were you there for the school holidays? Hopefully the mornings wont be too busy>
cheers
snow report
whakapapa, It was UK school holidays but there were not 100s of kids about. I believe that the Italian holiday had been a week or two earlier. The queue for the Pecol lift in the town looked worse than it actually was - it moved quite quickly, just try and avoid the ski school start time leading up to 10am as they fill the gondolas from the exit side and do not queue. Once up you have the choice of the cable car or the Toe gondola, no problem with queues here at any time.

The Sass Bece chair, that you will need to take to get to Arabba via Pordoi could also attract a large queue, but it is a Sella Ronda pinch point.

By the way: The ski pass system has a nice feature that records the lifts you use and works out how far you have skied and the vertical. When you get home access the data via the check ski performance feature on the http://www.dolomitisuperski.com web site. It reckons I did 206 km and took 117 lifts.

Cheers
snow report
Just back from Arabba (16-23 Feb). Whilst the piste guys have done a fabulous job of maintaining the snow on piste, they are now starting to have real problems as some of the piste are showing grass and small stones; especially later in the day. The entire Sella Ronda is well overdue snow. My tip would be get out on the first lift when the pistes are in fantastic nick (not icy at all) and call it a day around 3-ish. Some of the south facing pistes are atrocious after 4 pm. The Sella Ronda is generally in good nick and there weren't any bad queues to speak of.

The off-piste is all tracked out and now really crusty and I never found anyone who had done either the Val Mesdi or Val Laties. The Hidden Valley from Lagazuoi is still a good run if you can put up with a bit of pole-ing and the horse tow at the bottom.

Hope those arriving in the next few weeks have some snow (some is being forecast) as it's a delightful area and I'd hate anyone to have their holiday spoilt.

Roll on 20th March and Argentiere !
snow conditions
Just seen a long range forecast on another thread for cold temperatures and lots of snow in early March (usual caveats apply of course). Made my day - we're off to Arabba in 11 days. Woo-hoo snowHead
ski holidays
dsoutar, Compared to this time last year the conditions are great. I don't recall seeing any grass, stones or earth showing ( on the piste ) that could not be avoided with ease. But with so much ski area to cover I guess we did not ski the areas that you did - good isn't it snowHead

I can remember what the conditions were like in the late 80's - before all the snow cannon systems were put in. Now we are talking rocks and cow pat time.

Will you go back?
ski holidays
CP,

Of course I'd go back (this is our second visit). I'd like to try and get over to the Alpe de Suisi but it's just too awkward from Arabba. It's the only runs on the entire Sella Ronda ski map we didn't ski this week. On the last day we managed almost 9000m of descent according to the new facility to check out your progress in the ski area using your lift pass number. Just click on "Ski Performance" on the Dolomiti Superski website.

I've never had the opportunity to do much off-piste unfortunately. Especially as the possibilities are huge so will have to keep going back hoping for better off-piste conditions.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dsoutar, We are going back to Selva on the 16th, not many sleeps left!!!! Looked at the webcam and coverage looks better than last year. Cant wait.
snow report
I'm off out on Saturday. Looks like were going to get quite a bit of fresh, though actually I'd prefer a week of sunshine Cool

I'll be on my teles and hope to meet up with another group of 26 telemarkers to make some turns. Could be quite a sight.

Will submit a full report on my return. Hope i don't miss out on any skiing at home Smile
snow conditions
Planning trip to S Cristina on 22, don't use up all the snow.
ski holidays
Also off on Saturday, looks like it has been dumping nicely snowHead

Looking forward to trying to spot Peter S and 26 telemarkers on the slopes (shouldn't be difficult!) Shocked
ski holidays
snowshine, It is however a big ski area! Have fun, we're off Sunday week.
snow conditions
Just got back this evening after a week in Arabba (01/03 to 08/03).

Monday/Tuesday, good snow coverage but sunny and warm and all lower pistes were slushy. Spent Tuesday going up the Portavescovo side and the Marmolada, as the snow was better, especially on the north facing slopes.

Woke up early hours Tuesday and noticed it was snowing. By 9am it was boot deep powder everywhere. Had the most exciting days skiing I could ever remember. This was in the Corvara area. Hardly anyone on the pistes. Snowed all day but windy higher up.

Wednesday, went on a trip to Cinque Torre and Lagazoui/Hidden Valley. Cinque Torre is amazing. Stunning red runs and more stunning scenery with a very snowy Cortina visible in the valley. Hidden Valley is also stunning. Skiing is more tame and the Horse drag at the end is fun but hard work. Snow everywhere was fantastic. Got stranded in Passo Campolongo on the way back and had to get a taxi back to Arabba.

Thursday spent around Arabba. Snow still good although a bit more scraped in places.

Friday spent doing Sellaronda to S.Christina via Selva. Did the red from the Forcelles chair in the Eidelweiss Valley (Colfosco) on the way there. Very nice, with excellent snow.

Will post a more comprehensive report tomorrow, with some photos.

Left this morning and it had been snowing lightly but people were saying that a big dump on Sunday was expected.
snow report
Got back yesterday after a great week. 20cm of new snow on Tuesday, a day of fresh tracks followed by three days of sunshine Cool

And the Ssella Ronda/Dolomites in a word? MASSIVE ! What a place. Why didn't i come here 35 years ago ? Everything about it is superb the awesome scenery, the piste maintenance, the state of the art infrastructure, the number and quality of the mountain restaurants and the sheer extent......It makes the three valleys look like, well, a mere 3 valleys rather than the 33 valleys of the Sella Ronda and then all the other inumerable areas covered on the same lift pass Shocked

In addition to the fantastic sella ronda the Marmalada is just overwhelming, what a place, and nearly 2000m of fabulous vertical. And then there is the hidden valley with the amazing story of the Lagazoui face and all its evidence of 2 years of warfare between the Italians and Austrians, half way up the rock face Sad and then the run itself...and the horses......... wink

Downsides ? only two irritaing ones - lots of rude Germans and the mental Italian drivers on their mobile phones, oh and missing out on some good skiing in the lake District and Scotland whilst i've been away snowHead

The Sella Ronda season only runs until 6th april this year but its looking good until at least then. Yes the very lowest slopes are basically ribbons of snow into brown fields, but they are still full width and above 1800m there is complete cover and despite temps of 8C everything was complete on Saturday. looks like they are expecting more snow later this week as well.

Have fun anyone going out for Easter.
ski holidays
Just put my lift pass number into the dolomiti website and managed 129 lifts, 41.3 thousand meters of decent and 223km skied (51 on the last day).

What a brilliant facility. it even provides a map of where I have been. Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy