Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Contact Details on the Internet. UPDATE: New Story

Poster: A snowHead
I always give my number to you lot when you're coming over so we can try and meet for a beer.

Imagine my surprise when I'm sat at my desk doing the accounts when I get a call from a snowHead asking me to call him a helicopter.

I'm not going to reveal who it is, they might one day. And I hope that it all works out OK for them.

The Back of Mont Fort is no place to be if you don't know how to call in SAR.

My 24hour concierge service usually involves taxis and restaurant reservations. This was more excitement.

No details on the accident (yet) injured snowboarder / skier. Chopper on dispatch.

Good luck.

Scan to the end for another great story...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 7-04-08 19:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
parlor, fingers crossed
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
parlor, Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
parlor wrote:
I always give my number to you lot when you're coming over so we can try and meet for a beer.

Imagine my surprise when I'm sat at my desk doing the accounts when I get a call from a snowHead asking me to call him a helicopter.

Good luck.

Perhaps they were running late for a dinner party.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It wasn't my old friend Arnie Wilson, was it? [Sorry, Arnie]
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow, the power of Snowheads Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shocked best of luck to him or her. Bad news to hear of a sH down.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parlor, back side of MF no place to be without a guide unless you know what you are doing, which by inference this snowHead does not. A bit worrying. Handy to know you offer this concierge service though. We were running low on beer at the weekend and if I'd known I'd have called you instead of sending the wife to Migros
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BGA, Migros don't sell beer. Shocked I'm pleased to hear you didn't know that! Wink (PS Concierge service is free with a weeks holiday, or £9,800 per week, whichever is cheaper).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
parlor, nice one snowHead , but incidently, for those of us that don't have your number (and don't come to Verbier) what should we do in the event that we find ourselves in an emergency like that? What is the recommended course of action - 112?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
*UPDATE*

When I took the call the worried snowhead was trying to get me to call for the chopper. I gave him the SAR number and made the call two minutes after. SAR confirmed that they had him on the other line so I left them to it.

Just spoken to those involved. No one was injured. They needed the chopper after climbing for a colouir on skiers left of the North Face on Mont Fort. When they got to the top they effectively trapped themselves, unable to climb down or up and the 60 degree pitch was "unskiable".

I'm meeting them for beers tomorrow, hope to get photos too!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
parlor, that's why I have a wife, so I need not concern myself with menial tasks and minor details. Most of my shopping is of course in the 'expensive claret' section of Macbirch.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ray Zorro, In Switzerland the normal number is 1415 but in the Valais area you dial 144. These numbers are normally always on the lift maps and / or your lift pass.

(112 would work but 144 is direct to the Air Glaciers).

Re-reading this thread I have spotted a school boy typo, the general Swiss Air Glaciers number is 1415 and not 1418 as I originally typed.

When I ski a new resort the first thing I do is find and save the local emergency numbers. A lesson for all.

Edit: Typo.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 21-01-08 22:30; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
parlor, were they not with a guide?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
parlor, go on. Name and "shame" so we can all have a laugh....now we know that they're okay Laughing
snow report
parlor wrote:
Ray Zorro, In Switzerland the normal number is 1418 but in the Valais area you dial 144. These numbers are normally always on the lift maps and / or your lift pass.

Im a bit thick when it comes to mobiles abroad - do you have to add anything to the front of these numbers to get em to work?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Elizabeth B,

Someone on this thread maybe Puzzled

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=34289
latest report
parlor wrote:
Ray Zorro, In Switzerland the normal number is 1418 but in the Valais area you dial 144. These numbers are normally always on the lift maps and / or your lift pass.

For all of Switzerland the number for ambulances is 144, for REGA and Air Glaciers the numbers are 1414 and 1415 respectively. I don't know who picks up if you dial 1418 but it's not a listed emergency number by Swisscom.

Alternately 112 is the number for the emergency services switchboard, 112 is also the GSM emergency number and a standard across Europe for fixed and mobile networks.
snow report
What sort of tab will they be picking up for this (mis)adventure?
Verbier emergency helicopter tarrif would be of interest - there but for the grace of God go us.
snow conditions
JDC wrote:
parlor wrote:

Im a bit thick when it comes to mobiles abroad - do you have to add anything to the front of these numbers to get em to work?

No, but the numbers from outside Switzerland are :

REGA +41 333 333 333 ( 14 14 inside CH)
AIR Glaciers +41 27 329 14 15 (14 15 inside CH)

Possibly of use if you roam onto a "foreign" network near the border.

If in doubt just dial 112 no codes, no prefix.
ski holidays
On your mobile 112 works just about everywhere in the world, except Taiwan. There you get a chinese woman telling you to dial a different number... In chinese Toofy Grin
snow report
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=820854#820854 Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, well spotted. Have we identified the culprit? There really should be a SH award for this don't you think?
snow conditions
the tarred and feathered award

Very Happy
snow conditions
names please!!!
ski holidays
Obviously not wishing to make assumptions, or laugh at other people's misfortunes, and with the knowledge that everyone is safe and uninjured, I do find this statement quite ironic.

I was last in Verbier years ago and I bet so much has changed but I would think it would be relatively easy to find my bearings and find bits

Again apologies in advance if this is barking up the wrong tree
ski holidays
We shouldn't make assumptions as to the identity I suppose if he/she wishes to share his/her embarrasing secrets, we have thread specially for the purpose.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=35039&highlight=
snow conditions
Let he who has never screwed up in the mountains cast the first stone. Glad they're OK.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Verbier's the place I had the scariest ski experience of my life, so I'd very much agree with that. I'd gone up the Mont Gele cablecar with my father in 1967, we were following a regular trail that had no piste marker signs at the time. A blizzard came in and the visibility closed down almost completely. We had no alternative but to follow tracks, and they were being snowed over. We couldn't see more than a few feet and were very lucky to get down.

That's the kind of thing that could potentially catch anyone on an itineraire, or somewhere like La Grave.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Helen Beaumont, BGA, very unlikely to be JT. Apart from the more sense angle, he's most unlikely to have had a darksider with him.
snow conditions
good point Brian, also think it's not JT as he was in Zinal yesterday, hopefully speaking to him later.....

Glad everyone is ok!
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, Very true. Map, compass and emergency GPS can come in handy if you are nav'ing off in bad visibility... but how many of us ever carry them?
snow report
achilles wrote:
Let he who has never screwed up in the mountains cast the first stone. Glad they're OK.

Totally agree, thankfully they are in one piece and able to laugh about it at a later date Smile
snow report
Scarpa, generally in the car, but guess they wouldn't be much use there
snow report
Quote:

Helen Beaumont, BGA, very unlikely to be JT. Apart from the more sense angle, he's most unlikely to have had a darksider with him.

In which case, consider comments withdrawn. And hats off to him for his position on the tray menace.
latest report
FWIW where they were skiing was pretty hardcore. The back side of Mont Fort is not for the week hearted, the North Face takes a very special level of courage, determination and knowledge. I don't know the guy and I've never skied with him but to have been there in the first place gains my respect. I also respect the fact that they made the decision that they had screwed up and needed help before something fatal happened.
snow report
Boris, I have a basic GPS model just for getting a grid ref in a white out. That then locates your position (if you are in doubt) allowing you to use the map and compass to then follow a bearing. Mountaineering GPS units are used differently to the average car model, no substiture for being able to use a map though.
snow report
parlor, It is unfair to have the best thread of 2008 in January Smile
snow report
Scarpa, of course if your hand held GPS had a stern voice - say a Scottish Ski Instructress - who could say "make some short turns here you numpty - now dodge through the trees" it would be even better.
latest report
plectrum wrote:
parlor, It is unfair to have the best thread of 2008 in January Smile
Embarassed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy