Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Virgin - How many lessons?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello - I am off Skiing in a couple of weeks and having never done it before would like to book some lessons.
There are so many companies offering different packages I don't really know where to start or how many to go for.

I know the more lessons we have the better we will be but after paying for everything else (man skiing isn't cheap is it) we don't have loads left.

I guess what I am asking is what is the minimum hours one should spend in lessons - I would like to be able to ski down an easy run by the end of the holiday Very Happy

We are both fit and play sports so I am hoping that helps (wishful thinking I fear).

The group lessons I see seem to run for 11 hours spread over the week - but we are considering if it's better to have a couple of private lessons say 5 hours on the first day and then a day off alone so we can practice what we learnt, then say another 2-3 hour private lesson the day after that.

Will the one on one lesson make up for the difference in time?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jimmyfingers, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I'm sure that you will get many opinions, so I won't offer mine..... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jimmyfingers, First, I thnk you will probably find that 5 hours of private lesson will cost more than a week's worth of group lessons (although maybe not if there are two of you in the private).

Generally, yes, the one on one does make up for the shorter time, but as an absolute beginner, it may be better to be in a group (depending on size and make up of said group), as you will learn from other's mistakes as well as your own.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jimmyfingers, Welcome to SnowHeads.

My 2p worth... Go for the group lessons. You'll have more fun that way. Your first lessons will be very tiring, so a 5 hr lesson on the first day may not be good value.

11 hours over a week will give you plenty of non-lesson time to consolidate. Have fun snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks - yeah there are 2 of us and private is cheaper it seems.

Another problem with group lessons is that is that we arrive on a Friday and all the group lessons start on the Monday so we have 2 days to either figure it out ourselves and bust a leg or play snowballs until Monday comes Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jimmyfingers, So your first ski day is Saturday ? Assuming the group lessons don't work.. 2 hrs Private a day until the money runs out. Very Happy After a couple of days you'll be able to ski (very easy slopes) unsupervised - but you'll still need lessons.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jimmyfingers, 5 hours would be a hell of a private lesson. You'll be mentally and physically exhausted. I think you need to mix up lesson and practice.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 21-01-08 13:22; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers - sounds like 5 hour lesson will be a miss!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Group lessons are a good laugh. Apart from anything else, you'll see that you're not the only one(s) who falls over a good deal. The complaints about group lessons is that they go for the lowest common denominator and that they are slow. On your first hol, you (and everyone else) will be the LCD, and slow is good at that stage. The class size can sometimes be too large for effective teaching, so you should check that; look for no more than 8 (?). If you struggle in the group or don't enjoy ti for some other reason, look at private lessons. I agree that a 5 hour private lesson sounds horrific.

You can keep having lessons all your life, with real benefit. I'd go for as many group lessons as you can reasonably afford, and spend the rest of the time trying to put what you've learnt into effect. If you're going with mates who are better then you, have a ski with them, as long as they know enough to know where not to take you.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sounds like 2 hours on the Saturday with a private instructor then 5 days of group lessons is the best bet.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jimmyfingers, If you could stretch to having a 2 hr private lesson on the Saturday and Sunday and you made good progress you might be able to join the second week group class on the Monday.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Most resorts have group lessons to fit in with the change over day, and the Reps, guides, hotel staff all know someone that will recommend someone. If you're on a package trip the reps will try to sell you lift passes, lessons, ski pass holders, trips, excursions, ski-doos. Or that might just be Bulgaria Very Happy

Where are you heading, and is it a package or DIY trip?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DIY - Zermatt!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jimmyfingers, Zermatt's fantastic - but fairly awkward for beginners. Make sure your instructor points out suitable terrain to practice on and places definitely to avoid.

Enjoy!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
awkward? eeek!
ski holidays
i have done 3 weeks of group skiing lessons and have not really progressed much. I think they are good for your first holday but after that i would go with private. I am planning on having 6 hours of private lessons on my next trip
snow report
jimmyfingers, Welcome

How long depends mainly on how sports orientated you are.

You cannot say you will be skiing at a certain level after X number of hours as alot of other factors have to be taken into consideration.

I have taught people who after a couple of hours are capable of snow ploughing to an acceptable standard and others have still not mastered the art after many lessions.

However I would expect you to be able to snow plough turn with confidence on medium rate red runs after say 5 days of lessions ( 2 hrs per day ). How fast you progress then depends on alot of practice.

You need to understand the biomechanics of your body in relation to sking before you will progress further. ie you need to understand what causes certain effects in you body and skis.

Being able to say I skied a black run on day 2 does not mean that you can ski. Great you have the confidence to attempt the run but if you spent most of that time on your backside or using big wide turns then unfortunately thats not sking.

I would suggest that if you can afford Private lessions then split it up over three days or three sessions ( every other day ) so that you have time to practice what you have been taught after each lesson. One 5 hour session seams a unefficient use of time or money as you will be no better off after day 3.

Think about it on day 2 who are you going to ask for feed back if you suddenly develop a problem.
snow report
Super Eagle, blimey i have had 3 weeks of group lessons and can only just manage to snowplough turn down a blue run let alone a red run, i'm aiming for the 2 hour privat lesson every other day next year
snow report
charlichops, We all learn at different paces.

I'm sure that if I tried to learn to do a back flip Id still be trying next Christmas.

I would'nt get hung up about how quick anyone learns to ski. If you are enjoying it then great mission accomplished.
snow report
jimmyfingers,

Quote:

DIY - Zermatt!

Hmm - be prepared for spending lots of money. Laughing
latest report
jimmyfingers, Forget group lessons you will progress very slowly and spend a lot of time waiting for 'your turn'. Go for 2 hour private lessons in the morning, and practice in the afternoon. If you can stretch to 5 days wroth you should be doing OK by the end of the week, if this is outside your budget have a couple of days off, practice all day and then have a final lesson on the last day to get you there. Stick to the gentlest runs you can find to build confidence and practice technique. Don't be tempted to rush off onto the reds until you can at least manage a hockey stop. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy