Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boot Brands for Short & Stumpy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Help, please.

If a ski boot fits across my feet, I find it's often too loose at my ankles and too tight across the calf, with the reverse also being true.

I'm 5"2. My height (so to speak) is in my torso. I have shortish but sturdy calves, narrow ankles, and short wide stumpy flat pronating feet but high arches (and yes, I've already got customised footbeds).

Can any shorter limbed woman out there suggest a suitable boot brand?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
These are quite nice Wink Might not be too compatible with snow though!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm no bootfitter (would probably be worth a trip up to Lockwoods in Leamington Spar for you to see a real bootfitter) but it sounds like you need a boot with a lower cuff and possibly a mouldable liner.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mark Hunter, I quite like the look of those.... do you think Salomon or Rossy would do me a pair in the same fabric? Twisted Evil

DB, hmmmm. Lower cuff you reckon. Food for thought, but I had thought the whole boot dimentions would need rejigging, to accomodate normal(ish) but small feet, narrow ankles, and shorter fat calves....??? I'd been led to believe that some makes/brands were better suited to women's dimentions?

When you say boot fitter, do you mean yer S&R type thingee?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My wife is a similar build to you and has just replaced her ageing Salomons with a pair of Technicas. They are short in height up the calves (if yoiu see what I mean)(I'm no sort of expert) and have been pronounced very good with Nordica technical race socks inside. Just a brand to consider, that's all!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Manda, Find a really good bootfitter with a wide range of boots not just one brand, if you still can't find a boot to fit you could have the inners custom moulded to your feet, this is a more advanced option than the thermo fit that most boots offer these days and involves a 2 part foam being injected into the liner to give an exact boot fit.

I've got massive calf muscles narrow ankles almost flat wide feet with a high instep and have had all sorts of problems getting boots to fit, this year I got hold of a pair of rossignol soft 1 boots that come really close to giving a good fit out of the box thanks to the soft upper and front sections, incredibly I didn't even have to have the top buckle moved to fit my calf muscle the first boot I've never had to do that to. If they interest you Christchurch ski center had a few pairs on sale the other day when I was there, no idea what sizes they have but it might be worth giving them a call to find out if they have a pair to suit ?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All ladies boots have lower cuffs than the equivalent mens models, my wife had problems for ages getting boots to fit her. Her solution, she kept trying hire boots until she found ones that fitted perfectly and then bought them. All ski shops will sell their hire equipment, they usually have a program that calculates the price based on original cost less times hired/age. You could find a bargain.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 22-11-04 18:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My wife bought a pair of rossi soft boots at the end of last season but has not yet skied with them. She has a broad foot with quite a high instep but does'nt have large calfs though. She found them to be the most comfortable ~ hopefully they will be when used in action 5 weeks (and counting).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Manda wrote:

DB, hmmmm. Lower cuff you reckon. Food for thought, but I had thought the whole boot dimentions would need rejigging, to accomodate normal(ish) but small feet, narrow ankles, and shorter fat calves....??? I'd been led to believe that some makes/brands were better suited to women's dimentions?

When you say boot fitter, do you mean yer S&R type thingee?

Manda,

By "Bootfitter" I mean someone with experience of selecting the best boot to fit you (not just what he/she has on the shelf) and making any alterations to adapt that boot best for your feet. A boot fitter is to ski boots what a tailor is to a suit. Ski boot shells can be shaved or blown-out (expanding the shell with heat) at the uncomfortable pressure points, liners can be moulded to suit your feet etc.

Like any other art, some have mastered it, some are begineers and some may even be pretenders. Some shops sell ski boots others fit them. It doesn't matter how good you or your skis are, if your boots are a bad fit you will have problems.

I too have problem feet and ended up using these people

http://www.strolz.at/english/gesamt.htm

The biggest single improvement to my skiing came after getting a pair of boots that finally fit.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB, Agree wholeheartedly! I got a pair of Strolz boots fitted for me at the Strolz shop in Lech. Never looked back since. The service you get there is great. You go in in the morning, get your feet measured up, go and ski all day, come back at five o'clock and get the boots that they have prepared for you during the day fitted. I've been using Strolz boots now for about four years. It's a totally different experience when you have a boot that fits and is comfortable.
I also think that the general trend away from rock hard racing boots towards soft boots is entirely positive. With modern carvers don't you just don't need a stiff boot to control the ski the way you used to with the old long planks.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Profeet in London (www.profeet.co.uk) are very well regarded boot fitters and sell a very wide range of different boot manufacturers (bigger range than S&R I think). I'm in the middle of a boot fitting session and they are the most knowledgable fitters that I've used.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy