Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Baggage weight

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Roughly speaking how heavey is a 100ltr duffle filled with clothes? Want to avoid excess baggage!! No boots, jacket or ski wear or the like just usual week away stuff??

Boyo
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boyo, dunno, but if you've got a 100ltr duffel, why not fill it and weigh it? otherwise look up the weight of the duffel you want to use then weigh all the stuff you want to take and see what it comes out as?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boyo, I once as a student managed to load a 100Ltr pack to over 40kg, I'd suggest that a more normal load would be arround 20+kg
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx wrote:
boyo, dunno, but if you've got a 100ltr duffel, why not fill it and weigh it? otherwise look up the weight of the duffel you want to use then weigh all the stuff you want to take and see what it comes out as?

Yup ... but haven't got the duffle yet. Want to see if it is lighter (should be) than my Samsonite suitcae or the cheap thing I bought from Tescos!!

Last year we ended up running around Liverpool airport buying extra bags to avoid Ryanair excess charges. Arrived last to check in to be told that the flight was canclled due to fog and then drove to Stanstead where they didn't bat an eyelid at the extra weight. Flying Thomas Cook and limited to 15 kgs per person - not sure if you can combine tho.

Boyo
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boyo, Aaah, and of course extra bags means extra charges, regardless of weight as well this year. I manage with a samonsite medium case and usually come in at 17kg (and I'm a girl)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx wrote:
boyo, Aaah, and of course extra bags means extra charges, regardless of weight as well this year. I manage with a samonsite medium case and usually come in at 17kg (and I'm a girl)

can you speak to my wife please?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boyo, Laughing Laughing Laughing

of course, it's a lot heavier on the way back wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boyo wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

can you speak to my wife please?

What she hasn't mentioned was that was just for the day trip to Les Arcs wink

I always seem to be around the 20kg figure with my packing, the excess (if a typical 20kg allowance) either goes in the skibag (airline depending) or hand luggage (small rucksack).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My 140l bag weighed 22.3kg containing 1 pair boots + var other stuff.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Blimey, what are you all carrying. I manage 14kg for a one week ski holiday, with my helmet and ski trousers in the suitcase, but boots in a separate bag. And I'm a girl, so that includes a hairdryer and various bottles of smelly stuff for use in the bathroom, and lots of "product" for my hair.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
docsquid, The boots make a big difference.

I had 18.8Kg on my way out this year, but that was including the boots.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boyo, The weight of the duffle should be printed on the info label. Just bought one for my daughter and it weighed 4.5kg.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Embarressingly I have to say that my luggage bag weighed 27 kilos and my ski bag 13 kilos. My hand luggage was a meare 4 kilos. ( I'm a bloke ).

Thomas Cook from Manchester this Christmas was weighing everything.

Once the wifes baggage was weighed we were getting stuffed for £102 of excess baggage which was negotiated down to £72.

I had always worked on the principle of 20 kilos for hold bags 10 kilos for hand luggage and what ever I could fit in ski bag. never had my ski bag weighed before.

This year everything was weighed with a strict 20 kilos limit + 6 kilos for skis.

I think the airlines have cottoned onto the fact that people are packing other things apart from skis into ski bags as the check in desk were specifically asking the question to all passengers who had ski bags.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
docsquid, you are a pixie though, my stuff will weigh a lot more than yours piece for piece Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Having moaned (a lot!) about Thomsonfly on another thread (they changed my flight times twice) I shoudl give them credit for their baggage allowance. Limits are 20Kg for the check in, 5 for the hand luggage and they don't seem to care about ski gear (once you've paid to take it). They weighed everything though and I checked in a total of around 85 kilos (between 2) including boots and skis, and expected to get hit but they didn't bat an eye. Good on them. They didn't make me take my laptop out of my hand luggage either. Flights were on time too. snowHead
snow conditions
Sounds good - our limit is 15kg each x 4 flying with Thomas Cook - you have to pay extra for more weight. I am going to pop into Cotswold Leisure and have a look at the weight of duffles.
snow report
Dumped suitcases for holdalls, and have never had any problem with baggage allowances.
snow report
I travelled with BA to Zurich from Gatwick. In the hull i placed my boots and bag ~ 4.5k my skis and clothing ~ 26kilo and a lap top ~ 1 kilo so total 31.5k ....no problemo!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy