Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solden or Sestriere ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi snowHead

There is five of us lads who have a week off end of Feb but want to avoid France as half term madness is too much to take !

The only good value deals I can find is either Solden or Sestriere, quite keen on the 'ol apres but also we like a bit of a ski ! So will Solden for a week be too little ski or is Sestriere too quiet for beers etc !

Thanks for your replies

Al
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sestriere is any extremely ugly resort in my opinion. Next door Sauze definatly isnt quiet, but I dont know about Sestriere. The snow there is brilliant at the moment.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No question for me Solden rocks! You won't do it all in a week, unless you're really first-up first down. Good park, good glacier. Crazy wacky races resort run at the end of the day (Fun and games) Can be a tiny bit icy on the home run (and dusky), but adds to the fun. It's got wide motorways, steep blacks, moguls, nice reds, cat tracks, in all very varied. In fact it's got the steepest piste I've ever been on (when I fell, not going very fast, I didn't stop until the bottom, because I couldn't generate enough friction on the slope. Shocked Add to that an extremely modern and efficient lift system (needs to be as can get busy)

Also your lift pass covers Obergurgl, where I learnt to board. Great smallish resort, can get there on the bus in about 20mins and will keep you occupied for a day or two, excellent snow record for it's altitude. nice tree lined reds on the right side, glacer type on the left (Hochgurgl)

In addition, if you need any more incentives Austrian Apres is the best, and Solden is no exception with the usual post ski carnage of Austrians dancing on tables, as well as some cooler bars if you're that way inclined. The town isn't picturesque, but you can't have everything snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
takoon, tough call.... the Milky way is a fun curcuit to explore - bit quirky, lots of ancient lifts but a real exciting and adventurous feel to battling your way around the links - if you dig that sort of thing... Town is indeed pig ugly, and lacks atmosphere, but once you've got the beer goggles on they all look OK right? wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sestriere/Milky Way area is fantastic skiing but moderate night life. Soelden is fantastic skiing plus brilliant apres ski. I'd go with Soelden too - definitely enough and sufficiently varied skiing for a week (plus Obergurgl - easily reached by bus - as another Snowhead has already said). Nice & high too, with 2 glaciers - though snow doesn't look like an issue this season.

I go for the skiing first & foremost - but Austrian apres ski can't be beaten. Soelden takes it to another level (anyone for a lap dance??).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you are going to Milky Way, try and find a place to stay in Sauze, Sestriere is way too quiet. Can't you DIY, tons of cheap flights to Turin, pick up an MPV and scoot up the autostrada. Try phoning the Assietta for somewhere central to stay.

Ryanair from Stansted 23 Feb return fare is £86 assuming you aren't carry skis.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
takoon, I would definitely recommend Solden. The skiing and apres are great and the snow is much more reliable (above resort) than Sestriere. I would recommend the day out to Obergurgl - make sure you buy the lift pass that enables you to do this, it is much more sedate and limited than Solden but has a cosy charm and a great red from top to bottom on the Hochgurgl side.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
takoon, I lost a pair of gloves in Solden in 1967 can you have a look for them please. They were black woolen ones that my mum knitted. Cheers.

My first skiing holiday. I had my birthday whilst I was there and the instructor bought me a drink at lunchtime. Now I didn't know what schnapps was and drinking it when you are only 14 and not used to alcohol and have to ski down a mountain afterwards is not to be recommended. Skullie
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Solden. No contest.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, go for Solden
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Having never been to Solden or Sestriere I suppose I'm not really qualified ,to comment, but I wouldn't be going to Solden next week if it wasn't any good. Come on .... 5 days to go. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Having recently been to St Anton / Ischgl etc and found out how the Austrians like to party, if good apres is high on your list then Solden must win hands down.

I'd also saythat Solden has a better ski area, with more modern lifts, greater vertical and more snow sure.

For me, your choice would be a no brainer, although if cost is an issue I'd guess Sestriere may come back into it.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks for your replies, would love to go to Solden but it is now sold en out Crying or Very sad for 23rd Feb so any other resorts in Austria (apart from Arlberg as tooo expensive) that can match for snow sureness and apres giggles ?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think if there is a snow shortage Austria would be the last one to catch it.

I have seen the condition of Solden last week and would say that is not much different from Zillertal Valley (Hochzillertal, Mayrhofen and Zillertal Arena, each a resort in its own right with 150+km piste) or Silvretta Valley (Ischgl, with 235km piste) Ischgl may be expensive to book as there are a lot of 4 and 5 star hotels and the place is definitely up market but you are able to ski to Switzerland in 3 runs from there. We drove and was able to book accommodation 5km away at 50% the cost of staying in Ischgl.

Accommodation in Zillertal Valley should be affordable.

I didn't find Sestriere ugly. Being at 2035m level everthing should be white in Feb if you can stand the crowd. There is more scope to visit the rest of Milky Way there.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sestriere is desparately in need of more snow....went today and it way destinctly patchy here and there.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy