Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tree line

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I reckon the tree line is around 1800m in the Alps, however it must be a lot lower in the UK/ Scotland.

Why is this as we have a milder climate?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnboy, I've no idea but I suppose it could be because we have shorter days or possibly higher winds, or it could just be that the conditions don't suit the native variety of trees
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I suppose our summer temps are alot lower than the continent?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Where i go skiing in France the treeline stops at about 2100m on the north facing slopes. But I think it is lower on the south facing slopes. The bottom of the resort is completly tree clad and that is at an altitude of 1800m.

I don't know why it is lower in the UK.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Trees grow in the summertime - in summer the UK (especially the hilly bits) are much cooler than the alps at the same altitude. At 1200m in the UK (Scotland) it is too cold for anything other than hardy sub-artic plants to grow in the summer.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The old (well, new then, but now old, as in 'former') Alpine House in Kew Gardens had a little diagram showing the tree line in various ranges. The height of the tree line seemed to be roughly in proportion to the heights of the mountains. Thus, the tree line in Scotland is lower than in the Alps is lower than in the Himalayas. Can't imagine how the trees know the height of their mountain, but there it is.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
With respect I don't think that's correct. Many mountains in North America are forested all over. This Wikipedia entry gives some factors that influence treelines:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_line
The lowest treeline quoted in the table in that article is Sweden at 800m (though Sweden's latitudes vary enormously, and the treeline in southern Sweden must be way different to arctic Sweden).
In the Scottish highlands I think the treeline is significantly lower than that - about 500m, I'd estimate from observations.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 20-01-08 23:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richmond, but that's also roughly in proportion to latitude (actually, 90-latitude) which I suspect is the important factor.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd take a guess and suggest it might be something to do with deforestation in the 17th & 18th centuries... Scotland was once covered in trees but they were all chopped down for wood to make ships and nice chairs and tables for our great great great great great great grandads dining rooms. I seem to remember something about my great great great grandad having a lovely scots pine chopped down in 1888 cause he wanted a new pair of skis! Very Happy

"I reckon the tree line is around 1800m in the Alps, however it must be a lot lower in the UK/ Scotland."

Considering that the highest point in the UK is 1,344 metres, it's not surprising that we don't have any trees above that!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Goldsmith wrote:
With respect I don't think that's correct.

The bit about the diagram in the Apline House at Kew is. What it says about the treeline may not be.

laundryman wrote:
richmond, but that's also roughly in proportion to latitude (actually, 90-latitude) which I suspect is the important factor.

Sounds plausible.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
richmond, I think distance from the coast may also play a part.

Certainly one of the chief reasons I ski more in N America than Europe is the much higher tree line (2800m ish in the Rockies ?) and the opportunities/visiblility/landscape that leads to.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As an aside, historical tree ring data from samples near the tree line provide an important proxy for temperature in climate research - though the precise interpretation of the data is a raging controversy. Anyone wanting to get into that should google "bristlecone pine".
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shoogly wrote:
I'd take a guess and suggest it might be something to do with deforestation in the 17th & 18th centuries... Scotland was once covered in trees but they were all chopped down for wood to make ships and nice chairs and tables for our great great great great great great grandads dining rooms.

this is what I thought the answer was

are there any natural tree lines in Scotland? not holding myself out as an expert on Scottish forestation but just interested
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy