Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

can better equipment improve your skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
my ski's are pretty basic (nordica trend 03's) and whilst fine for pottering on greens once anything gets a bit tougher they are dificult to control. I'm not the best skiier (only 3 weeks) and don't have that much confidence so was wondering if upgrading to a more intermediate ski might bring me on a bit, or is it a case of the equipment doesn't matter.

I plan to keep owning my own ski's as we are an hour from glenshee so can pop up on weekends so it makes sense for me to have my own ski's rather than hire
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Better equipment won't improve your skiing. However, it might well compensate for your lack of skill, which has a similar effect.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lizzard wrote:
Better equipment won't improve your skiing. However, it might well compensate for your lack of skill, which has a similar effect.

therfore giving me more confidence and therfore improving??????? Laughing

sounds a good enough excuse to buy myself a new flashy pair, and hubby's is happy enough to comply....lol
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't go too flashy. For example a pair of phat skis or a pair of GS racing skis. It will have an adverse effect if you do not have the skill to match. If you are buying from a reputable source they will not sell something that is not suitable.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Overall, I think it is about 90% ability/technique and 10% gear, but different skis are designed for different conditions/skiers and do ski differently. I also find that having your skis properly tuned can make a difference...Matt
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MEfree30 wrote:
I also find that having your skis properly tuned can make a difference...Matt

charlichops, totally agree about the tuning - you should notice the difference if you have your skis edges sharpened, but if you have the green light for new skis ..... wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is something I have wondered too. I have had the attitude that at my pitiful level of ability, a ski is a ski. However I did notice a difference when I borrowed some last year rather than hiring whatever they choose to give me, but I put that down to cooincidence. Perhaps it wasn't?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
charlichops, Head XRC skis are really nice for the piste.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
charlichops, why not try some skis at the Scottish ski test and see if you notice a difference. That would also be a good excuse to join lots of other snowHead ,s for the weekend!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you are skiing in Scotland its so much more economical to own your own skis. I got a pair from ebay for £130 delivered, at about £15 a go hiring them they will soon pay for themselves, not to mention not having to wait in queues to hire. Sport Conrad are particularly good at the end of the season, my friend got a pair of K2 Recons for £200.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Better fitting ski boots will improve your skiing above everything else.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lynseyf, I got Burnin' Luvs for £225 from Sport Conrad, old seasons stock but technically the same ski as current season. Def recommend Sport Conrad. just off to get them edged & waxed now Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER, have to agree Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Actually private ski-lessons will improve skiing above everything else! Your boots can fit like gloves but if your technique is all wrong then you ain't going anywhere fast! Perfect fitting ski boots though are a close close 2nd!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
plectrum, Sorry i don't agree. I've never had a lesson, but have learned to ski better with skiboots that fit. You don't always gel with your instructor but skiboots that fit, FIT.
I reckon properly fitted boots can work aswell as 2weeks ski lessons. Or so my clients tell me.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Whilst i agree that a pair of boots that fit well and are comfy will make a difference i think that lessons will make the biggest difference to skiability and confidence. Just met some people last week who had their own gear (new boots , not too old skis)and about 20 odd weeks expeirience and skied like 2-3 weekers(my opinion). I suggested politely that private lessons might increase her confidence and ability and she seemed interested but he couldn't see the point, later asking how comes me and my brother were better than him rolling eyes .
I have had lessons with instructors that have gear that looks like the only thing holding their together is gaffer tape but can ski like demons
snow conditions
mistermouse, But they didn't learn to ski with kit held together with gaffer tape. When these guys and girls are going through their training/assessment, nothing but the absolute best will do, WC Boots/Skis, WC technicians and preparation, anything that can boost their mental state. Once you can ski, you can pretty much ski well with anything, agreed. This thread title asks if better equipment can improve your skiing. I think boots can. I also think if you have bad boots and good tuition you'll progress slower than if you have good boots and no tuition. I believe we all know how to ski, we're just too rich/lazy to think it through for ourselves. OOOPPPs, have you all spent thousands on trying to learn how to ski with an instructor? How dare i question your judgement. Laughing
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I have just had custom fit boots made from Profeet. They certainly improved my skiing but not anywhere as near as the comments from my guide John Hogg UAIGM on how my technique needed changing. I came on leaps and bounds by correcting technique.

I feel that when technique is correct 'perfect' boots followed by 'perfect' skis finish the equation.

Without doubt I agree that boots are fundamental as without alignment power transmission is flawed but if you ass is sticking out then even if the boots fit well the centre of gravity is misaligned and so the power is being transmitted to the wrong areas ..... just being transmitted more efficiently due to the correctly fitting boots!

Oh in terms of humble pie ... after skiing with new boots fitted in London I 100% agree with your view that the best boots will eb fitted by an expert in-situ i.e. at the resort. Daily tweaks are an essential part to create the perfect boot.

Although my boots are good and certainly with a few more visits to Profeet they will end up perfect I kinda wish that I had purchased and fitted at Heierling as could have tweaked over the 7 days out in Davos-Klosters.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
I believe we all know how to ski, we're just too rich/lazy to think it through for ourselves. OOOPPPs, have you all spent thousands on trying to learn how to ski with an instructor? How dare i question your judgement. Laughing

SZK .... in Chamonix it may be experts to the left and experts to the right but have you ever looked down at the slopes from a long chairlift at other resorts and just thought ....CHRIST.... just look at these useless skiers!

I have skiied for 15 yrs, off piste, cat ski, WC blacks and it was only this year that serious tehcnique problems were pointed out to me that were hindering my progression. To quote the guide 'You have just got into bad habits'.
snow conditions
plectrum, I shall, as you do, use myself as an example. I have never had a lesson, never spent a penny on lessons. I have changed my boots it has changed my skiing.

Taking ski lessons from a Guide? You must suck! Laughing
ski holidays
plectrum, I couldn't ski before i moved to Chamonix. Still can't. Cool
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Well it was a touring week from a guide and was also given free advice on how to improve in deep powder! Indeed I do suck (a little less now tho)... my other firm belief is that the 1 week a year skier will never improve. Skiing is a sport which needs constant attention for improvements to stick. Hence the desire to go live in the mountains.

On a different topic which business flourish in Chamonix? My skills lie in fine wine but when we were there last year the fine wine shop in Chamonix Sud always looked pretty empty and French supermarkets are generally pretty good for wine. Would a wine bar work or again not really a mountain thing?
snow report
plectrum, I have a great business idea, we'll talk about it sometime. More soap than wine.
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I was just trying to point out that all the shiny kit in the world wont make you a good skier.Some people a just naturals wink
ski holidays
charlichops, to get back to your question wink , yes, I think as an intermediate or 'improver' skis can make a difference. I had a very basic pair of Head skis as my first pair - great for beginners/lower intermediate. But it wasn't until I hired a pair of skis for the day after a few years that I found what a difference there was - my old ones were so floppy and easy to bend which is great when you're learning. And I guess if you're a good skier you can ski on anything, But when you are trying to progress with your technique, I felt such a ski was quite a hindrance to progression. My next skis were much stiffer and better! snowHead And if you've got the green light for a new pair, go for it! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
mistermouse, We're all naturals, leave the baggage at home. Simple.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, So did you learn to ski by copying other people or do you have your own style. I am interested as i have found that the best way for me to learn is to follow somebody who is a good skier and just copy what they do with amount of verbal information kept to the minumum.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
plectrum, I have a great business idea, we'll talk about it sometime. More soap than wine.

I've already considered importing 'soap' from Morocco via Marseille .... is that what you were thinking Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
riverman, I started by using speed, it makes understanding the way the equipment works easy. Yes i do watch other people, i guess it helps. But most of it is feeling. When it's right it's effortless. I'm now back to speed, what else is there? If i do struggle it's on medium steeps, i just go too fast and get tired early. An average red or a really steep pitch and i'm fine.
latest report
charlichops wrote:
my ski's are pretty basic (nordica trend 03's) and whilst fine for pottering on greens once anything gets a bit tougher they are dificult to control. I'm not the best skiier (only 3 weeks) and don't have that much confidence so was wondering if upgrading to a more intermediate ski might bring me on a bit, or is it a case of the equipment doesn't matter.

I plan to keep owning my own ski's as we are an hour from glenshee so can pop up on weekends so it makes sense for me to have my own ski's rather than hire

At 3 weeks, I very much doubt your gear is holding you back. Looking back on the rubbish I learned to ski with (and even raced with as a youngster) anything produced in the last decade is good enough to improve on. As already discussed, boots are more important than skis, so invest in those first. But you might as well upgrade your skis at the same time. They won't make you a better skier, but they will give you something to grow into when you do improve. The new boots will be more comfortable too, which is an instant benefit.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
mistermouse, We're all naturals, leave the baggage at home. Simple.

I am really, really, really not a natural at ANYTHING sporty, the people I ski and mountain bike with are and I think if you are a "natural" then you will never "get" how difficult it is for those that aren't. My boyfriend finally began to understand how much harder things are if you are not a natural after breaking his leg ( nothing to do with me, honest Twisted Evil ) he went to a sports physio who gave him lots of excercises to do, balance etc to get the bad leg back to the same state as the good leg. When I tried them I was generally only as good as his broken leg Smile
ski holidays
While I think that technique is extremely important, and I am a huge fan of trying to improve every time I go out, there is a role for gear too. For example, Mr DS was having trouble getting his shins aligned properly when doing GS-style turns. He'd tried (and instructors had tried) a lot of things to correct this. The instructor we had in Tignes suggested he took the wedges out of his boots, and it made an instant and massive difference. He had been struggling with technique for ages, and it was the equipment that made the difference.

So, I think you will eventually come to a point where equipment is holding you back, or at least you could progress further with different equipment. But most of it is technique.
ski holidays
While I think that technique is extremely important, and I am a huge fan of trying to improve every time I go out, there is a role for gear too. For example, Mr DS was having trouble getting his shins aligned properly when doing GS-style turns. He'd tried (and instructors had tried) a lot of things to correct this. The instructor we had in Tignes suggested he took the wedges out of his boots, and it made an instant and massive difference. He had been struggling with technique for ages, and it was the equipment that made the difference.

So, I think you will eventually come to a point where equipment is holding you back, or at least you could progress further with different equipment. But most of it is technique.
latest report
thanks all

i tried my old ski's again yesterday, they are very floppy, pretty heavy and feel too long (they are a 150 and i'm 5'2", maybe that is right but i seem to have too much ski upfront) not even sure if they are female specific, but hey i have skied with them for 3 weeks i can cope for a while longer yet

firstly on the instruction, i fully intend to continue with lessons, and i'm pretty sure i'll have private lessons when we go to PSV next year, i'm under no illusions some fancy ski's will teach me to ski Laughing

wasn't planning on going fo anything too flashy, was thinking of something along the lines of the K2 one luv ( i think thats the right one)

do you really think i need new boots too, mine are salomon evolution 8's, they were fitted at ellis brighmans about 5 years ago and are pretty comfy. I have green superfeet in them and i wore them all day yesterday with no pain or discomfort and everything is pretty much held firmly in place when i ski, but if you think new boots would be a good investment then i'll have to talk nicely to hubby Shocked
latest report
New boots are only a good investment if your current boots don't fit properly (or if you are using rentals). I think the other posters correctly pointed out that boot fit is important, but they did not know that yours seem to fit fine.

If you have only skied 3 weeks in 5 years, I imagine that lack of time on the slopes is what is holding you back, not your gear. I am not sure what other athletic activities you do, but even natural athletes need to regularly work their muscles if they want to perform well.

However, if you are a small/light 5' 2'' then it is possible that you could benefit from some shorter, lighter skis. However, as you improve and go faster, you may find that 150s are a good length, particularly if you have an athletic or heavier build. If your bindings monts are adjustable, one thing you could try is moving them up 1-3 cm (an inch, give or take) as I know that one of the thing that Dynastar does with many of their women's skis is to use a more forward mount position. A more forward position should make turn initiation easier and reduce the feeling that you have too much ski up front.

I would hold off on buying anything new right now and ask your next instructor their thoughts (particularly if they seem to know what they are talking about).

Best of luck,
Matt
snow report
charlichops wrote:

wasn't planning on going fo anything too flashy, was thinking of something along the lines of the K2 one luv ( i think thats the right one)

Hire a pair on your next holiday and see how you like them. It sounds like your boots are fine for now as long as your feet don't move around in them. The K2 womens skis get good reviews, but if you want something lighter then I'd recommend Head Cool Thangs. My wife has a pair of these and they are considerably lighter than the K2 One Luvs. A very easy ski to learn on too.
ski holidays
charlichops, Come to the Scottish Demo on the 21st, 22nd or 23rd of March at the Nevis Range and try some out along with lots of other snowHead 's
ski holidays
I look at skiing equipment as I look at my golf equipment. I used to have starter clubs which weren't very good and everytime I played a bad shot I blamed the clubs/ball/glove/tee (delete as appropriate). So I kitted myself up with top notch gear and now when I play a bad shot I know 100% that it's because I'm a crap golfer!
ski holidays
If you're having 'trouble with control' then it's probably technique, however, as you get better, (I've found) better and well maintained skis do help you improve. In the horsey world we say that 'good horses make good riders'. As usual I'm probably talking a load of old bollux. Very Happy
But I just love my new skis. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
MEfree30, actually i skied for a week every year but that was 5 years ago and haven't skied much since, so i think my ski's were bought about 7 years ago and weren't the latest design or anything then. Until i stopped skiing i was managing blues okay and was able to paralell turn. My skiing ability now is pants as i am so out of shape and muscles not used to it. I'm far from athletic build ( iweight 65kg at the moment but that is definatly coming down Shocked )but i do horse ride regularly so not a complete couch potato.

the ski's i have now are not on a slidable mount, in fact they are not mounted at all just screwed directly to the ski, so not sure how much could be done with them, we have a ski shop in town that does servicing of ski's would they be able to tune the ski's do you think.

ickabodblue, now that sounds fun, but you would all laugh at how crap i am

erica2004, another horsey person here

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 21-01-08 17:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy