Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Poor service in Scotland

Poster: A snowHead
I am really sorry to actually say that I just had my worst day skiing. Not because of the conditions but because I was told by the staff at Glencoe that it was fine to take my family up the mountain this morning. When we actually got up there my kids could not even stand up due to the winds. Why could they not just say that it is blowing hard on the mountain and that the kids might find it hard. Why because they knew that they could take my money then when I returned to complain just say well thats Scotland.
Every time I go skiing abroad I am trying to get folk to come skiing here but never again. I would not embarress myself by doing that. A real shame as all they had to do was say sorry. All my money in future will be spent taking my family abroad.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sorry you had a bad experience, we are heading up to glenshee for the afternoon session but our kids don't yet ski so we will be at the base playing with them and just have the odd run ourselves.

I must admit whilst having the scottish ski resorts on the doorstep is nice, nothing beats being abroad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bute13, I never take my kids with me 'till about March when there is only slightly less chance of it blowing a houly. I don't want to put them off! Mad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bute13,
Look at the weather forecast before you go. There was rain on Friday with a refreeze after, so the snow was always going to be icy. The wind was forecast to be high and I’m sure you could tell when buying your tickets it wasn’t a “calm” day. A little commonsense is needed as well.
As far as the staff were concerned if it was OK to run the lifts the conditions were fine to go on the mountain –windy but OK. What would you expect them to say “Well we are open but I wouldn’t advise you to spend your money here?”

I ski in Scotland most days the conditions are good but after looking at the forecast and what with the rain on Friday decided not to go yesterday. The wind is 10-15mph less today and the FL is a little higher so the “hard pack” should soften a little. So I’m going today instead.
Don’t write off Scotland through one bad day at one centre.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Was it not fairly obvious from the forecasts and the speed of the clouds that it was going to be really windy up there?

If the lifts are running, then that means the staff think it's safe for you to go up there, if you then think it's too windy, but the lifts are running, who is at fault??

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry You should have checked the forecast and made your decision based on the conditions. Do you think it would be any different in France/Austria/Switzerland? Even if the lifts are running you might not like the conditions - I find I don't like poor visibility and even thought the slopes are open, I might prefer to tuck up with a vin chaud somewhere..
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lifts were running here the other day, I nearly got blown off the glacier and was convinced I'd frozen my right nostril off. No-one at the bottom said "Tres froid, Madame, attention aux nostrils." - disgraceful, I shall sue.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bute13,

Had a similair experience at Nevis last year. Weather nice at bottom Gondola station. White out at top of Gondola, however chairlift and a few tows were running. Very cold and windy with crap vis.

Frustrating, as I only had 1 day I could go, but certainly not the fault of the lift company.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bute13, If you asked advice from the liftie and were misled then it is indeed poor service and not your fault for not getting a second opinion. The weather is obviously not the responsibility of the lift co. but giving an honest reply to someone looking to protect their children is.
I had a similar experience at Glenshee, we inquired about the snow conditions were blatantly lied to, in fact there was not enough snow to ski on, asked for a refund, refused with a smile, I have never been back and never will.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bute13, you're not the same person who has had a moan about Glencoe on almost every thread I seem to look at on Winterhighland are you?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bute13 wrote:
................All my money in future will be spent taking my family abroad.

Hmm. What we can draw from that depends on the size of you assets in cash terms, I suppose. Assuming you have, say £100,000 floating around each year, all your money is quite an investment in skiing as time goes buy. OTOH, if you have an overdraft it is a meaningless statement. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
charlichops wrote:

I must admit whilst having the scottish ski resorts on the doorstep is nice, nothing beats being abroad

I would put this the other way around.

While it is nice to have a couple of weeks skiing abroad every year, nothing beats having the Scottish ski resorts on your doorstep (if it takes 2 hours to drive to the end of my doorstep Wink )
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry, bute13, but as the others have said you should have looked at the forecast - it was quite clear from the ones I looked at that it was going to be windy this weekend.

snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well I've seen notices at the bottom of the La Daille funicular warning of strong winds at the top - so not unheard of either.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Strong wind in Scotland
I find that so hard to belive rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
it was only a wee blow, don't be a fanny Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
Would bute13 be any relation to the brian13 that came F'ing and Blinding onto winterhighland last night? If so I can understand the management being abrubt if you went to Glencoe with the Attitude you took to Winterhighland's Forum last night. My initial sympathy with your cause soon evaporated and frankly some people generate their own "poor customer service" by the manor in which they engage staff.

Conditions on Meall a' Bhuiridh can change in minutes, it may well have been no more than breezy at the time you bought a ticket or when the ticket office staff were last updated. I have seen a day of light winds and the occasional strong gust turn into sustained 70mph winds up there in an instant. Standing in a Queue for the Wall T-bar, we all heard this WOOOOOSSSHH... this wall of white came round the mountain and flattened the entire lift queue ! When the visibility cleared there wasn't a single person still on the T-bar.

Mountain weather can do that - change in an instant and without warning. If you don't like or can't cope with skiing in strong winds that is hardly the fault of the lift company. IT IS UP TO THE INDIVIDUAL TO MAKE THE DECISION TO SKI OR NOT.
snow report
Winterhighland, exactly. Some people are just stupid.
latest report
got to take the rough with smooth in scotland....
ski holidays
I went today (as I posted earlyer in this thread) and yes it was windy yes it was rain that was falling at the very bottom (it was snow above 2700ft) and it wasn't much fun on the chairlift.
But....
I think i enjoyed myself more today than last Saturday (sorry to the snowHead 's I skied with then) spent more time skiing and less looking at the views. I don't normaly ski more than 1500m vertical per hour when skiing in Scotland (what with drag lifts and that knackering me) but I did today Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Serre Che;s lifties often tell us of strong winds.
snow report
II,

1500m per hour!! That's pretty good going
snow report
II wrote:
I think i enjoyed myself more today than last Saturday (sorry to the snowHead 's I skied with then) spent more time skiing and less looking at the views.

Well that's you off my Xmas card list Wink Laughing

(Glad you had a great day snowHead )
ski holidays
johnboy, I was lapping quad chair all afternoon off the top then 2 x 20 second stops on the way down to the bottom then repeat. Very Happy
roga, Toofy Grin
ski holidays
One aspect of customer service vital to any ski resort or ski area is a detailed posted announcement and forecast of the day's conditions - weather and snow - with a clear indication of which lifts are running (and/or maybe expected to run), and the prevailing avalanche risk. Wind speeds at various locations on the ski area can be measured and indicated quite easily.

That way everyone knows the deal, any risk, and the prospect of value for money.

I don't know what Glenshee post up, so I don't know how fair this complaint is.
latest report
David Goldsmith, Glenshee still have the old ceefax system driven information screens at the Ticket Office and in the Base Cafe (the ones that used to be throughout the Daylodge on CairnGorm in the 80s). However accurate that information is, it wouldnt really be that relevant for Glencoe now would it? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin snowHead
latest report
Winterhighland, Amen to "your own attitude strongly influencing 'customer service'"

Never had problems in Wengen anywhere, but this time one very loud person in the group without foreign (from dutch point of view) language skills whatsoever, therefore coming across very very rude... result: permanently slow and careless service everywhere. (and the complaining about it from the person was worse then the service itself too Sad )

David Goldsmith, Its near impossible to find out the other side of the story, unless the specific person from the Glencoe staff drops by.

I know one thing though. Weather in the mountains is very prone to abrupt change, and one side of the mountain can be sunny and void of any wind, while the other side, barely 2 miles away, a storm causes a chairlift to derope. (been there done that)
latest report
[Sorry - I've just glanced back, following winterhighland's comments - and seen that the complaint was about Glencoe, not Glenshee]
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy