Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hasliberg/Meiringen

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm off there next Friday for a few days. Anyone know anything about it? The Reichenbach Falls (of Holmes/Moriarty fame) are there, apparently, that's all I know.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
richmond, The meringue was supposedly invented there, although this is disputed! Toofy Grin

Sorry, don't know anything about the skiing. I once visited the region in Summer and saw the nearby Aareschlucht gorge, which is quite impressive.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Reichenbach falls are accessed by a funicular, which is closed in winter unfortunately.

It's a nice place - proper little ski-town in winter, and they've really gone for the Sherlock Holmes connection. the whole place is like a life-sized museum Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Went at new year 3/4 years ago. Nice place, real village, intermediate skiing, everyone speaks ridiculously good English! Apres a bit on the quiet side
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
These snaps are from spring 2003.

The British Schoolboys races are taking place at Meiringen 27th - 29th January, so expect to se a few Brits around. Details at http://www.downhillonly.com/pages/schoolboys.html

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks chaps. It's the schoolboy races I'm going for (or my son is, anyway, I shall try to avoid them as far as possible). We're staying in Hasliberg, SFAIK, which looks very quiet. Fine by me, I only need one bar.

Glad to learn of the meringue claim. I shall try to get to the bottom of it, not that I'm keen on meringues, but one has to take an interest. Apparently Verbier claims to have invented 'doing words' and Les Menuires reckons that fertiliser originated there. Stories that Beaver Creek invented Vaseline should be treated sceptically.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 21-01-08 10:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
richmond, done one day a while ago. I don't remember much except that the restaurants are good value, it has great views to the Berner Oberland and there is a really annoying uphill run to one of the lifts.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Been there, done that. A very pleasant spot, enough to keep you amused for a long weekend but not a good option for longer for most people, I don't think (65km(?) of pistes; we didn't ski as much as we might have, because of the lads' racing, but 2 days would enable you to ski everything). A couple of hours drive from Zurich airport, train and a short transfer a possibility. Skiing is in a bowl well above the town of Meiringen (which we didn't visit). We stayed in Hasliberg-Reuti, on an alp above Meiringen; I doubt that it's often possible to ski right down to Meiringen, which is linked to H-R by cable car.

We stayed in the Hotel Viktoria, which was unexceptionable, although it seemed to be aimed at very large groups (such as the one we were in) and to have a vaguely christian ethos, which was a bit weird. Every room has a balcony with a great view across the valley. Good and plentiful buffet grub, although very limited choice. There is another hotel in H-R (with convenient lift access and probably more character than the Viktoria), and others scattered along the alp, although few with convenient lift access. The bubble was just over the road from the hotel, which was just as well as we had to take the first lift up each day. Apres ski is basically the hotel bars; take a book.

One side of the bowl stays in the shade for most or all of the day, so the snow on that side was in great nick. The other side was softening up by lunchtime, especially on Mon and Tues. More snow would be welcome (we couldn't ski down to the hotel). The place is better for beginners (though there are a number of T bars) and intermediates than for advanced skiers, although there are some very enjoyable slopes. Can't say much about the off piste; my son and his team mates did some on the shaded side, and seemed to enjoy it. There's a smallish fun park thing for show offs. Not a great spot for boarders, I don't think, because of the T bars and the number of flats, although there were a number of boarders around. Mountain restaurants pretty much what you'd expect, not too pricey, but not cheap, reasonable quality and like the slopes, reasonably quiet most of the time.

I'm not sure that I shall rush back, but if I found myself conveniently placed for it for a weekend, I'd be very happy to spend a few days there. If you want a 'local resort for local people' within a couple of hours of Zurich, don't need miles and miles of piste, notably challenging runs or exciting apres ski, it's well worth a visit.

I was unable to settle the meringue question, I'm afraid. They were offered for pud on the dinner buffet each evening, and the one I tried was fine (probably made in a huge factory in China). Hasliberg produces it's own special tart, which looked fairly ghastly.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 31-01-08 14:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
richmond, Nice report. Were the races a success?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
telford_mike, the lads enjoyed themselves greatly. They won silver medals in their class, which they were pretty pleased with, especially as 3 of the 4 were novices. They had a world class coach while they were there, and their poker also improved enormously.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
richmond, Excellent Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What was the sort of cost of drinks (hot and cold, not alcoholic) in the mountain restaurants? I'm asking because we are taking a school party there soon and their parents want an idea how much cash to send with them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nice little place and a gem in fresh snow.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy