Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking a Laptop abroad

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone take their Laptop when they go away skiing? Puzzled I want to take mine to France so that i can keep up with e-mails, Have access to the internet mainly so that my children can continue with their schoolwork whilst away ski training/racing.
I thought a walk and web modem would be the simple answer but apparantly they don't work abroad?
What does anybody else do?
Thanks Guys.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you stay in a hotel with a wifi facility that would be easy (especially if you have a wireless modem)though I have found some French wifi connections very expensive (eg 10 euros an hour, in a marina!!). Most resorts will have internet access in a cafe or two, or maybe the tourist office. I don't know what a "walk and web modem" is, but my ISP (AOL) has a series of access numbers you can use from France, anywhere you can plug your computer into a phone socket (French phone sockets are very different from ours though!). It costs, but not an arm and a leg. Obviously you'll need an adaptor for your power line.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I take mine. I have access to broadband so it's a good way to keep in touch with home and work. Using Skype or iChat it costs nothing or just pennies to speak for as long as I want.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gillian,
'web n walk' might work - but if it's using the mobile phone network, it will be expensive and slow. If you are used to 'broadband' at home, you'll find it very slow for anything beyond basic email. ask you ISP (T Mobile, I'm guessing) whether it works,and what, if any, setup you need to do.

If you have 'dialup' (plugging a phone cable into a modem), then you'll best off finding out if your ISP has international phone numbers for the modem (i.e. you'd dial a number in France), otherwise, you'll be making an international call from your chalet, which will be expensive. and slow.

In short- if you want to _use_ internet/web, then you need:
- wireless enabled laptop
- WiFi in the chalet OR somewhere in the resort that has wifi (normally, if you have to pay for it, it's 'expensive'.

Best option if you have no wifi in the chalet, is look for a cheap cafe/backpacker hangout - they often have wifi to encourage people in. Starbucks often do likewise.... not sure how many of those you'll find in the mountains though.

Without wishing to be rude - if you're asking the question, you might find getting it working quite hard.... consider how much _internet_ time you need, versus _laptop_ time - you might only need to check emails every few days, but being able to work on a document every day could be more useful....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Most bars seem to have Wifi free now, just go in and settle down with some hot chocolate and internet away! Very Happy

You will need a wireless card or adapter in the laptop though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not sure if this is a silly question but is WiFi available on any planes? I'm travelling with NorthWest to Minneapolis then Kalispell on Wednesday and wondering if I can help pass the time on the 9 hour flight with a bit of geeking.

If not I'll be using my laptop for some DVD watching. Do any planes have power sockets or will I have to rely on my laptop's dodgy battery?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Planes don't have Wifi (BA did a trial but I don't think they rolled it out.)

Business class and sometimes premium economy have power sockets......
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In a word No.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hey Thanks very much for your help people.
Smile
My Laptop is wifi compatible so i reckon my best option is what Hamilton and Spikyhedog are suggesting....Wireless card or adapter and find a cafe with the wifi connection. I like the idea of a hot chocolate too whilst I check the e-mails! Just won't be a great place to sit and do Homework though? Ha well..... at least it will get done!Keep the Teachers happy.

Sorry about this....." Do i purchase the wireless card or adapter in England or in France?" Puzzled

Thanks again! wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gillian, it doesn't really matter where you get the wifi card, but if you get it in the uk the chances are the instructions will be in english
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gillian, If its wi fi compatible it may already have a wifi card in it. Have you got a PC literate friend who can help you and check it ain't got wireless already? snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If your laptop can connect to a wireless network then you will not need an additional card.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Your laptop will need it's own passport, with a photo, stamped by an IT professional to show that it has been vaccinated against major viruses. It is no longer acceptable to have it added to your passport.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yep travelling with it more often, no major headaches to date and even accor formula 1's have wifi...perfect for keeping up with everything snow related while u are on the move Laughing We found it really useful when trying to ski in other places day to day...check the reports/cams etc before heading out
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm taking mine. It's small with a 7" Screen, so doesn't take up too much room. Loaded about 50 movies (from my own DVD collection) into it, so we will be able to plug it into the chalets TV. The chalet also has wi-fi, so should be able to check emails and do a bit of surfing.
snow conditions
Gillian, I never go anywhere without my laptop.
If your laptop doesn't have wireless built in, it's time you replace it.
snow report
Jonpim wrote:
Gillian, I never go anywhere without my laptop.
If your laptop doesn't have wireless built in, it's time you replace it.

... with an iPhone Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Jonpim, Did you use the laptop to file the great waffle hunt report? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Thanks all for your help!

Sorted.... My laptop is wireless, so don't need cards etc. Just waiting for it's passport to arrive in the post... (thanks Richmond rolling eyes ) then just need to find room in the suitcase for it and off we go to the snowy mountains. Very Happy
snow report
Gillian, do not put your laptop in your suitcase (I half suspect you were kidding).
You need it to while away all those long hours waiting in the airport
And anyway, they will blow up your suitcase if the scanner shows a laptop Toofy Grin

boredsurfin, Great Waffle Report pending. snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy