Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Volkl Mantra 07/08 with marker duke

Poster: A snowHead
considering buying, fall line higly recomended but prefer users opinion. Want one ski to do all with heavy bias to off-piste but realistic to realise powder and 3 to 4 weekly trips a year a lottery. Confused
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Buy Buy Buy Toofy Grin
The Mantras are awesome in all kinds of powder and very useable on piste as well! Just do it!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Steilhang just what i needed to hear Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Noooooooo. Don't mention Mantras.

I've been trying not to think about buying a pair for months.

here's hoping for a real nasty base shot next week. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
base shot?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry Mosha Marc
just realised base shot i was thinking obscure drug refference, to much work not enough play. Telemark pyrennes has them on special offer
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
markyb, SSSSSHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mosha Marc, give in. Let your mind roam. You know it's gonna be good for you wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Must resist, must resist! Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
better the memory of what was than what if
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
markyb, How tall are you?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dukes make no sense on Mantras, especially as you didn't mention touring, and they're not a "heavy offpiste use" ski or particularly suited to Dukes anyway...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DaveC, Sorry but the Dukes make every sense on Mantras. That combination matches up one the most versatile skis on the market (with a bias towards off piste) and a binding that has very little weight difference to most decent alpine bindings of a similar strength* while including the option of increasing mountain access with the touring function.

This set up is awesome. Throw in a pair of climbing skins and you're off!

*300grams per pair heavier than Salomon S614
100 grams heavier than Marker 14 Free
100 grams LIGHTER than Look PX14
600 grams Lighter than Look PX18
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
and they're not a "heavy offpiste use" ski
Puzzled
So is this on piste use in your opinion?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i am 5ft 7.5inches doing a weeks course in Chamonix this March which includes 1/2 days learning use of skins. I am a realist i ski with my wife a kids twice a year in thowse weeks i get 1 day off-piste most of time spent charging around betweenthe park(kids) and wife at ski school so limited to a few hours a day. So need a ski that has a bit of everything., but cant help aspiring to an off-piste prefference.
snow conditions
If I understand you correctly...you do 2 days a season off piste and a relatively new to off piste.
I would suggest that you demo this ski before you buy....this is a really big ski, it will be great in deep powder but a lot of work in most other situations. One of the guides I skied with in VdI a few days ago had this ski but he skis off piste at least 4 hours every day all season long....he really liked the Mantra though. I would think that something in the 85-90mm waist would be better for your needs.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 20-01-08 17:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
DaveC, Sorry mate the Duke has been designed for use with the Mantra. :lol

http://youtube.com/v/0IWLDurpHfM

2.30mins, looks a bit like a Mantra to me. Cool
snow report
Obviously this is all a bit moot now the OP has mentioned he's actually going to use them for touring but...

I'm not arguing it'd work, but why pay $430 or whatever their euro RRP is for what's (imo) an allround ski, and it doesnt exactly sound like it's going to be used as a touring ski... If you want a heavily biased offpiste ski, put them on a Gotama or Katana, or Legend Pro or whatever and don't mess around. If you want a ski that can handle offpiste and will also be skiied everyday, you have absolutely no reason to Duke up.

What I'm really saying is, don't just buy what Fall Line tells you to buy. The duke is an awful binding to choose with no intention of touring (which I assumed from the earlier posts) - why have any stack height when you can have a s916 or p18?

SZK - the Duke was designed to be a bomber touring binding, not "to be used with the Mantra" Puzzled I'm not slating them at all, I love mine, and I'm really pleased with how solid they are downhill compared to Freerides etc, but I still feel like putting them on a Mantra is selling them short Smile
snow report
Steilhang wrote:
Quote:
and they're not a "heavy offpiste use" ski
Puzzled
So is this on piste use in your opinion?

Link doesn't work, but I'm sure you can take them off groomed runs alright. Pretty sure you can do that with 65mm waisted carvers too. I'd call a "heavy offpiste use" ski something with a >25m turn radius and >100mm waist. It's not like them being fat makes them much harder to ski - I ski Scott P4's inbounds daily unless it's boilerplate ice (then I stay in bed Wink)
snow report
DaveC, sorry pal, couldn't disagree more. It may be that for nose deep champagne you need >100mm waist in order to float, but in europe we don't get that very often. For European conditions the Mantra is perfect.Fact is that you hit all kinds of different snow off piste and the last thing you need around here is a monster fat that can't hold an edge on ice. For float I ski mine a bit longer (190) than I would a piste ski.

Who said fat skis are hard to ski Puzzled
ski holidays
plenty of people with the duke/mantra set-up in engelberg this weekend

DaveC, you are aware that the Legend Pro is only 2mm wider under foot than the mantra Puzzled
latest report
I dunno, I guess I'm forgetting most people's opinions on width of skis... I was considering a 191 Mantra as my groomer day ski and to instruct on, so maybe my views are getting a little warped compared to the general train of thought. I like having a wider ski underfoot for variable conditions as well as powder. My edges work just fine on them though Smile

Arno - 22m turn radius vs 29, way stiffer, different ski? I've seen lots of Duke/Hellbents, Duke/Gotamas/Katanas and Duke/superfat here, not seen them on Mantras yet here though.
snow report
DaveC, you seem to be assuming that people only tour for deep powder. this may be the case in Fernie but here in Europe when you're faced with a 2000m vertical descent chances are you're going to start off with some powder, then maybe a bit of crust, then some spring snow then a bit of bush wacking at the end. so you want something that performs tolerably in all of these. I'd say a Mantra fits the bill quite well
snow conditions
I think this topic needs to made a bit clearer....

General consensus so far;

Mantra = awesome all round ski if bias is towards off-piste. Good float in soft snow, solid ski for bashing through crud, awesome edge grip in hard/icy conditions.

Marker Duke = rigidity, stiffness and control of an alpine binding + ski touring accessibility. Weight penalty is MINIMAL when compared to the versatility of the binding.

Mantra + Duke = one of THE set-ups of the year?

Right, that should clear things up. Anyone who disagrees needs to go ski a mantra as thay obviously haven't yet Twisted Evil
latest report
So which of you two are K2 sponsored? Wink

Fair enough, the Mantra is a nice ski. Like I said, I'm considering buying a pair. I've skied them in 184 and 191, in day-after-powder-day crud and day-after-that-coldsnap-high wind-weirdness. It just seems like going for the jack of all trades route on both ski and binding isn't the optimal solution - like, if you want to skin up infinite vert then get dynafits or naxos and AT boots or whatever, and if you want to tour a little then put dukes on something a bit burlier. Are Mantra's this years Scott Mission/Rossi B2/other snowhead ski flavour of the year or something?
snow conditions
K2?

The bloke asked about Mantras which I guess is why people are concentrating on them here. Have you actually skied any of these set-ups or just read about them on TGR?
snow report
Spent quite a bit of the last two weeks skiing with an instructor in Verbier who some of you may have heard of wink He was skiing the Mantra/Duke set up and seemed to manage the off-piste quite well..

I can however see where DaveC is coming from in that I too prefer a wider ski for the variable snow conditions that European off piste offers, but then I spend most of my time skiing off piste and am currently 107Kg. For a one ski fits all set up however I would probably go Mantra/Duke, but as I am just about to take delivery of my sixth pair Embarassed it's less of a concern (sixth set is Gotama/Duke FYI)
snow report
For a different perspective, I had my first try of a pair of mantras yesterday. I'm not a hardened off-pister, but try and take on the powder when I can find it.

I'd agree with the off-piste bias comments - they performed fantastically in the powder and floated and turned perfectly. I also thought they coped well with speed and felt pretty stable on the piste, but could have been livelier (in fairness, they might just need a bit more weight to bring them to life...I'm only 65Kgs and wasn't pushing too hard).

The only thing I found difficult on them was stopping...not sure whether it was the increased width, or blunt edges (or pilot error!), but I had a couple of 'incidents' trying to slow down for lift stations Embarassed

Overall thought they were good, but I'd like to see how they compare to Mission/Punisher, Bridge or MSP, which have all been recommended as off-piste biassed all-rounders (except maybe for north american off-piste wink )
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DaveC, The Duke was developed by Volkl for and with Marker with the Garmont Shaman being the desired boot choice (kept Tecnica happy!). The Mantra was seen as the ideal platform to develop such a binding, all first pre-tests were on Mantra as it's a 96mm ski, perfect for the torque requirements of the average boot/binding/ski set up. You can stick a Duke on whatever you want; WC Slalom, Reverse Cambered 140mm waist, but when you step above that 'Holy' 111mm of width, be careful of the torque on those bindings and above all, those knees.

Are the Mantra this years Scott Mission, B2 etc? Nah, this years 'Punter' can be seen skiing the piste on anything Reverse cambered and above 111mm in the waist. pint envy? Laughing
latest report
Thanks for such a pasionate and helpfull debate. Very Happy
snow report
Arno wrote:

Have you actually skied any of these set-ups or just read about them on TGR?

DaveC wrote:

Fair enough, the Mantra is a nice ski. Like I said, I'm considering buying a pair. I've skied them in 184 and 191, in day-after-powder-day crud and day-after-that-coldsnap-high wind-weirdness.

If you like I can list every ski I've tried/owned too rolling eyes

SZK - I'm not massively suprised that the K2 group developed the binding for one of their own skis, but that's interesting, cheers. What happens after 111mm then? I did manage to destroy my ankles on my first day learning to ski reverse/reverse skis but after working out rolling my ankles was a good way to fall over anyway, torque hurting them wasn't an issue - does being >111mm do anything to the way the binding releases or anything too?

(also, are the euro punters really all on hellbents? I've seen the odd kid with a bandana and no poles rocking them on an icy groomer day at the weekend though Laughing)

markyb - sounds like Mantras are a good choice for you Wink
latest report
soliciting information from any and all. the mantra is a great ski for all-mountain with a preference for powder. i was all set to buy it, but is there a better all-mountain ski for someone who does not get to the powder or off piste as much as he'd like, and that would be better for the bumps?
snow conditions
neubauer, welcome

Don't know about stateside, but in the alpes the Mantra is a great ski. They have beefed it up this year...or widened it from 94 to 96mm. It still needs some respect but you should be able it handle it everywhere.

As reagrds the Duke .... if the Duke is as solid as an alpine binding but has a weight advantage, plus it has uphill flexibility, then it sounds like a good idea. You might not want to go uphill for very long on it but to get you away from the drones with a 30 min walk or so for little or no cost in weight or performance, then ok... I can see the point of that.
latest report
Interesting that no-one really see the stack height of the Dukes to be a problem.
snow conditions
spyderjon,

Comes with the terrritory...most AT bindings have the same issue. But then some Alpine bindings have plates that do the same sort of thing.
snow conditions
JT wrote:
spyderjon,
Comes with the terrritory...most AT bindings have the same issue. But then some Alpine bindings have plates that do the same sort of thing.

Agreed, in fact the Dukes look lower than Fritschi's. It's just interesting that the Speedlock plates have gotten some flack re use on wide skis but they're no higher than Dukes.
snow conditions
i have never skied on anything wider than karmas (87 i think) which seem to work just fine in euro powder and i am heavy and tall. If you are a holiday skier like markyb and get a few weeks a year mainly chasing after the wife and kids will a 90 or 100 mm waisted help you or hurt you.

i would think skiing on piste with a 100 + >25 rad ski would suck for anything other than huge long GS turns and the occasional forays into powder with a slightly narrower ski would be more than adequate.

But i havent skied the big boys so may be talking out my ...
latest report
spyderjon, why? do you want to put it on a Vist plate? Wink Seriously. I am joking.

DaveC, I like you.
latest report
parlor, Laughing.

BTW, what stack height have you got on your tele gear? I mounted up a load of Stockli GS race skis with Targa's for the Army Telemark Team a while back with 50-60mm riser plates.
snow conditions
spyderjon, 40mm on both my Cobras and my BD 02s, and it looks like 40mm on my Bombers.

My cobras are on an old fashioned riser plate which is nice and cheap so I might stick some more on a pair of GS skis. I've seen a few Scands tearing up the hard pack on Fischer RC4s, sounds wild.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy