Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serfaus ?

Poster: A snowHead
I am enquiring on behalf of a friend - has anyone been, or have any info on this little known Austrian resort ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have never been so can't give any advice from experience...

BUT

As I'm able to speak German i frequent the German forum alpinforum.com and amongst its users Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis is by far the most loved resort. As far as I've been able to pick up its perfect for intermediate cruising with an amazing lift infrastructure (basically all gondolas and express chairlifts), snow sure slopes that go up to 2700m with nearly 100% snowgun coverage and out of peak times its fairly empty.

Out of the three resorts Serfaus is the biggest, and is traffic free with an underground train system. It's also the most expensive and is ideal for those who like some relaxed apres ski, but not too wild wink Fiss is a little smaller and cheaper but still very nice. Ladis is the cheapest but is very quiet.

Anyway, here are dozens of stunning pictures taken early last December. No German required to understand them wink

The area is very high on my personal to-visit list, mainly due to the large ski area (160Km), lack of English people, modern lifts, pretty villages with plenty of Austrian charm and empty pistes!!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Markus, Nice pics Madeye-Smiley
Like Markus I have not been but have also heard that it's a really nice place and has a strong emphasis on family/children. I'm looking into going there in March for a week.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can only agree with Steilhand and Markus!

Serfaus is probably the least known big Austria ski resorts, especially in the UK, but I wouldn't consider this a bad thing.
One of the reasons why it is little known is that originally each of the two villages (Serfaus and Fiss) had it's own relatively small ski resort which was not connected to the other one. The link between the two resorts was only built a few years ago. This has the advantage, that the lifts in both resorts are stunningly new and comfortable (the smallest chairlifts in Serfaus are quads!!!!! and most of them are for 6 or 8 persons).

As Markus mentioned above, if you are an intermediate skier and enjoy perfectly groomed runs, then you will love Serfaus!
There are also more difficult black runs available (e.g. Pezid and Obere Scheid), but most runs are red and blue. Additionally Serfaus and Fiss are among the sunniest places in Tirol, making it even nicer to ski.

I've been there December last year and I've really enjoyed it (The only thing I missed in Serfaus were long mogul runs).

Be aware that though the resort is very snow secure in winter (because of the altitude and the lots of snow making) in late spring (end of March, beginning of April) some of the south facing valley runs (especially those from Fiss to Serfaus) can be closed.

If you have any more questions, I'm happy to help you.

Rgds,

kangaroo
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was there the week before Christmas.

In Summary
=========
An ideal resort for the skier(s) who has to take the young family along but wants more than just blues and reds.
Large family resort (185 km)
Terrain to suit everybody from flat pistes for learning toddlers to steep black and offpiste runs.
Not cheap
Very little traffic in the resort as it has an underground tube system.

More Detail
=========
Serfaus is a family ski resort but unlike many other family resorts it has some expert terrain and a significant amount of offpiste. It's not small either with 185 km of piste (29 km of which are black pistes). That's almost as much terrain as Saalbach but with twice as many expert km's. The locals track out the powder at weekend but through the week very few ventured off piste.

http://www.bergfex.at/serfaus-fiss-ladis/

If you would like any more detailed info feel free to send me a pm

Here's a Serfaus pic from last December
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oooh - this looks rather good! snowHead snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB, that clinched it. Now to find a hotel that does three and six year olds Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FYI

Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis is due to be linked up to See in the Silvretta (Ischgl valley) . Kappl is due to be linked upto Rendl in St Anton . This could happen by 2010-12 which would make the region the biggest ski area in the world.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Steilhang wrote:
DB, that clinched it. Now to find a hotel that does three and six year olds Toofy Grin

We were in the Löwe and it was excellent for kids (in fact I think they only accept families). Mainly German and Swiss but a few English couples were there too. They have nannies and all sorts of activities for children fom six months old right up to 40 years Wink. The nursey slope is in the village so the really little ones don't have to travel far at all.

http://www.loewebaer.com/en/

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Homepage: http://en.serfaus-fiss-ladis.at/
Piste Map: http://intermaps.feratel.com/skimaps/serfaus2/

Dont forget the "Frommes Extreme" run, a 10km red with over 1000 vertical metres. All skiing is between 1200m and 2750m, which is as high as it gets in Austria without going to the glaciers.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am in SFL from Saturday this week, back in the middle of next week. I will report on the current condition with pictures.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is there any tree runs?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cbr7, I'll get back to you after next week wink snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cbr7,

Lower down there are various on-piste and off-piste lined runs.

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/9939
snow conditions
Quote:

stanton

FYI

Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis is due to be linked up to See in the Silvretta (Ischgl valley) . Kappl is due to be linked upto Rendl in St Anton . This could happen by 2010-12 which would make the region the biggest ski area in the world.

Great news!

On paper St Anton has 285km
Kappl has 40km
Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis already fully linked to a total of 185km
Ischgl is already fully linked to the Swiss side Samnaun with 235km piste.

If they are all linked together the domain could be 800km+ with the possibility of skiing both Austria and Switzerland. That would certainly overtakes the French 3V.

Just one question. Is there any plan to link St Anton with its own Zurs and Lech?
ski holidays
Interested in Serfaus, looks really nice linked resort, and could convince Mrs to learn to ski in nice surroundings, while having enough to interest me on Reds & Blacks, without the crowds of the 3V's. Also never been to Austria.

Would be interested in more feedback on this resort since it is not featured in Where to Ski and Snowboard.

Are there any other big resorts within easy driving distance, if so how far?

Also if anyone has experience, are there any good English speaking schools/instructors?

Does anyone know of good quality accommodation or chalets or Hotels?
snow conditions
Kappl's skiing and See's skiing are on opposite sides of the valley and several miles apart. They don't look very ripe for linking together to me. Ischgl's is furthur away still. Puzzled
snow report
See, Kappl, Ischgl and Galtur are on the same valley but Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis is actually in the valley next.

Distance wise

from to miles
Mathon Galtur 3
Mathon Mathon 0
Mathon Ischgl 3
Mathon Kappl 9
Mathon See 13
Mathon Serfaus 36

Mathon is in between Ischgl and Galtur. It is a lot cheaper to stay than Ischgl to ski all the areas.

See would be the place I would take a beginner to ski.
ski holidays
I really wanted to do serfaus this year in a nice 4 star hotel but as no major operators use it for packages yet it had to be done as diy and that put it massively out of my league. The cheapest I could diy serfaus was 4k so I got a package to obergurgl from neilson in 4 star for 2k. I may try again next year but suspect I'll give Canada a run instead. FWIW in all my research I failed to find a bad word about the place.
latest report
saikee, They are the distances by road not the dstances between one lot of pistes and the next. Ischgl and Samnaun are miles apert by road but the piste network is seemless.
My point is that whereas it might be pretty easy to chuck a quick lift up at the back of See to get over to Serfaus or up at Rendl to connect with Kappl but connecting Kappl and See in a meaningful way by ski lift rather than road would be a much larger undertaking.
snow report
ollski, Inghams & Crystal go to Serfaus - we're going B&B with Inghams....ooh, at the weekend! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
T Bar,

I agree. That is why I ask stanton if within Arlberg whether Lech and Zurs has plan to link with St Anton. It is easy to talk about it but each operating company has its own agenda and the links are not always successful as they sound. If St Anton can't manage to link up itself internally what is the chance for it to link with another resort?

Having said the above the isolated beauty of Lech as an up market resort would probably destroyed if thousands skier/boarder can arrive by chairlifts everyday.
snow report
cathy wrote:
ollski, Inghams & Crystal go to Serfaus - we're going B&B with Inghams....ooh, at the weekend! Toofy Grin

They say they do but if you search the sites it is impossible to get prices and has been for a couple of months....perhaps they all sold out early?
ski holidays
ollski, ah - that will probably be then because they have sold their allocation - they probably just had a limited number of rooms to test the water as I think it was the first year they've gone here. We booked quite a while ago. Inghams don't have a rep in Serfaus so they can't have many staying there
ski holidays
saikee,
I think I misunderstood your older post, Agree with what you are saying and am like you a bit sceptical to how they will all link up. Like you I would keep Lech Zurs apart from the rest of St A.
Keeps it a bit more isolated not sobothered about the up market bit, but a very pleasant place to ski.
snow report
DavidYacht, You can ski Iscghl by driving to samnaun About 20km or you could ski St Anton about 25km away both very easy driving. Don't know about ski schools. Regarding accommodation have a look at web site map and I would pick one near a tube stop on the main road.
snow conditions
cathy, go to show that they put on midweek it's great, and you can do the night skiing as well and there is no one on the piste.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
WELLLL!!! snowHead snowHead snowHead

Just back from one of the best weeks' skiing I've had for ages - fantastic resort, great skiing area and superb snow conditions. Slightly dampened by the OH having a fall on Tuesday, knocking himself out and doing his back in - end of his week's skiing (only 'slightly' though wink ). To save starting another helmet thread - thank god for helmets!! Oh - and any doctors around here, you're wasting your time. Go and set up a private clinic in a ski resort - 'we don't deal with insurance companies, you haff to pay us direct now - give us your credit card before we register you'. £1,000 lighter and a trip to the hospital in Zams by ambulance, where they took 'proper' x-rays as the clinic ones were no good.......

I'll do a trip report soon as I really did think it was a great place (although the OH reminds me I say that about everywhere I go....)

clive5, made it to the evening Wed show! By myself Sad It was great, although I didn't bother with the night skiing.
latest report
we also just finsihed a superb week, based in Fiss. I'll have photos soon, but the whole area was great! Huge snowfalls helped of course, but quaint villages, nice restaurants and extensive piste and off-piste are the fundamentals of a top ski area.

Cathy - never 'heard you'. In fact heard one american all week - only native english speaker we saw.
snow report
gortonator, ha - didn't know there was another snowHead out there! We didn't hear any other English speakers in Serfaus - I did hear a group of guys in Fiss but that was it. Ah - if you saw a black guy skiing (well, for the first half of the week...) that was half of us! We didn't see any other black skiers - and I don't think they were too used to it either! Toofy Grin It was a really great week wasn't it, some lovely fresh snow and a great ski area.
snow report
cathy, aye - top week indeed. Did glimpse a 'skier of color' (as they say in the good old USA!) at the top of the Schoenjochbahn, I think. Hope he's recovering ....
ski holidays
Did any of you guys (or anyone) drive to Serfaus from Calais etc.? I am looking a a route down and there seem to be quite a few different options depending on the online route-planner used.. Also, any suggestions from anyone with super sneaky local knowledge on avoiding any persistent traffic blackspots en route would be most welcome.. wink
snow conditions
Tatty, tricky drive from Washignton State, I'm afriad Smile
snow report
Tatty,

I always drive and have gone as far as Italian Dolomites. However I always start the journey at Amsterdam about 10am after a good night sleep in the ferry and would travel mainly via Germany.

When I did Serfaus I spent my first week in Mayrhofen and the second week in Ischgl. Thus I did serfaus on a day trip from Ischgl. From Calais I would think the best route would be to Basel, Zurich, Liechtenstein and enter Austria via Feldkirch to Landeck and head for St Moritz direction on A180. The route from Basel to Serfaus is relative free from traffic jams if you arrange yourself passing Zurich off the office hours.

Going via Reims, Metz, Strasburg, Karlsrule, Stuttgart , Ulm, Memmingen, Bregenz to Feldkirch is also a fast route.
latest report
saikee, interesting - thanks for that - I'll have a look at those route suggestions Smile
snow conditions
finally getting around to blogging about Serfaus-Fiss trip last week - first enty and lots of photos here:

http://gortonator.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!AF2DD3CC35CC7ADF!2453.entry

more to come when work allows Smile
latest report
gortonator, a little off topic, but would you like to share your secret on how you manage to spend nearly the whole season skiing around the world (or does it just look that way!) Shock
ski holidays
gortonator, ah - great to read. And so exactly mirrored our own experience! The first day, Sunday, we headed over to Masner as I knew it might be the best visibility of the week and from photos I knew it was pretty exposed over there. Stopped for lunch at the restaurant there.

And we loved the run from the top of the Schoenjochbahn down to the bottom of the Almbahn - in fact that was where the OH had his fall, coming off the off-piste just below the bottom of the Zwoelferbahn, not seeing the drop down to the track from the lift and wham! Also liked the 10K Frommesabfahrt down to Fiss and the 10K Seablesabfahrt from Plansegg down to Serfaus - wheee! Although negotiating the Frommesabfahrt in a whiteout was not a lot of fun - a group of us gingerly edged our way down just about seeing the one person in front, and we didn't get visibility until just about where the Extrem cut the corner off.

Also got caught out on the dusting of snow on Monday - going down the Kerbbodenabfahrt from the top of the Sattelbahn first thing in the morning, thought there's a nice firm bit of piste....next thing I knew I was falling heavily forward - youch, still got the bruise on my hip! But we really did have some lovely skiing in the fresh snow during the week - we like to get up and out early with first-ish lift. Skiing bashed pistes with a foot or so of fresh light soft snow on top was just the best! snowHead snowHead

Look forward to your next instalments Very Happy

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 19-03-09 9:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Tatty, simple - moved from Sydney to Washington State mainly so we could ski as much as possible. Luckily I could get a pretty decent job here, and wife is a nurse, so she's flexible and just works 2-3 days a week. We're surrounded 360 degrees by ski hills - nothing too close (live in a desert!), but lots within 3-4 hours, and virtually everywhere in US/Canada west apart from Colorado is drivable for a long weekend.

Main part of secret - don't live in UK (or Australia) Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy