Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My Raichle Flexons - spare parts and liners?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've been away from skiing for a few years after breaking my back and being less than 1mm away from paralysis, according to my surgeon! But, I'm fully recovered and am off to Val D'isere in a few weeks Very Happy I dug out my old boots, did a quick google search and discovered there's quite a story to the Raichle Flexon boots which I have. I've skied in my Raichle's for a number of years and find the control they offer is superb, but they can be hard work toward the end of the day/week if fitness isn't quite up to par!

Anyway, I've had the boots on my feet again, checking fit etc and I now remember that there is a little bit more room over my toes than I would like, just not as snug as the rest of the boot. Around the ankle and calf it's perfect. I was wondering if it's possible to change the shape of the shell so that there's less space right under the lower buckle?

The other question was whether it's possible to get new liners for this boot? Bear in mind that this is an original Raichle Flexon Comp Equipe boot. I've been in touch with www.fulltiltboots.com who will come back to me with an answer.

Oh, just remembered another question! I think (from memory, I'll check when I get home) that the tongue on my boots has 'Racing Flex' on it, I'm assuming that would be one of the stiffest availble. I wanted to know if it's possible to get a replacement tongue for my boot, maybe even something a little less stiff? First time back on skiis - i may not be racing down the runs at the breakneck speeds I used to wink

Any of you folks have a pair of Raichle's Flexons?

Thanks for any help,

FrankyG
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frankyg, welcome to snowHead I'm sure some one can help shed some more light on this. They are great boots and there are still lots of second hand parts floating around.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frankyg, Hi buddy, I've skied on these since 1994:
http://s2.thisnext.com/media/230x230_no_border/Raichle-Flexon-Comp-Ski-Boots_9C872350.jpg

Love 'em!!

Chris.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chrisdavis wrote:
Frankyg, Hi buddy, I've skied on these since 1994:
http://s2.thisnext.com/media/230x230_no_border/Raichle-Flexon-Comp-Ski-Boots_9C872350.jpg

Love 'em!!

Chris.

Hey, thanks for the reply - have you ever needed spare parts for them?
The guys at FT Boots are gonna give me a UK supplier for the the Full Tilt boots, just in case I 'need' to get a new pair Very Happy

Frankyg
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frankyg, SMALLZOOKEEPER who posts on here may be worth a shout - he's on the trail of replacement heel and toe pieces for me, I've worn mine down to the screws Razz

Good luck with the quest!

CD.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lockwoods in Leamington Spa have always helped me with bits for my Raichle flexon comps. Give em a ring, they're pretty helpful.

When I saw the info on the full tilt boots I could feel my wallet twitching (my raichles are old and pink)

d
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just to help others. I just bought a pair of Full Tilt liners for my Flexon Comps (1994?). They fit perfectly and are the same size as the original liners.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Red90, your boots are older than this thread?!?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ster wrote:
@Red90, your boots are older than this thread?!?

Yes. Boots were bought new in 1994 or so. I'm older than dirt.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Frankyg,

The Full Tilt Classics (and only the Classics - the other models have updated lasts which are not as good if you like flexons) come out of the same moulds as your boots. I have a pair and also skied in Raichle Flexons. You could do a lot worse than buy a pair of them.

Otherwise Full Tilt sell aftermarket lines suitable for the Classics which will fit your flexons. Mine have an intuition wrap liner rather than the tongued one that I had in my flexons but they are better.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes. I just wanted to provide real world evidence. I asked Full Tilt and they were of zero help. They actually told me that the liners would not fit.

The difficult issue was figuring out sizing. The original boots have USA sizing and it does not directly cross over to the modern ski boot sizing.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think your more immediate issue will be the fact that the plastic here is getting on for 30 years old! I've seen a number of pairs this age fail, plastics - especially ones that have experienced the forces involved in skiing and been hot/cold on so many occasions.
I genuinely think you'd have been better off investing your money into new boots.
I ski full tilts, I love them so not knocking your gear but at 10years or so I'll be replacing mine....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Red90, @jedster, my cherished Flexon Comp VIPs were nicked on a transfer at the end of a 1999 trip. Devastated - my favourite ever boots.
Do any of the current FT range correspond to the Flexon Comps - in terms of flex etc? Call me nostalgic but if there was something in the range akin to the Comp, then I’d consider experiencing them!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The classic shell is as close as you'll get. Flex changes with each tongue up to something about 140 flex for the "12" tongue. Go see and have a chat to a stockist.....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andy'n'netty wrote:
The classic shell is as close as you'll get. Flex changes with each tongue up to something about 140 flex for the "12" tongue. Go see and have a chat to a stockist.....

Yay - FT First Chair 130 sounds perfect. Shame(?) they’ve lost the neon colour scheme
ski holidays
Set of 27.5 full tilt boots on skibay group on Facebook just now.
snow conditions
Grinning wrote:
@Red90, @jedster, my cherished Flexon Comp VIPs were nicked on a transfer at the end of a 1999 trip. Devastated - my favourite ever boots.
Do any of the current FT range correspond to the Flexon Comps - in terms of flex etc? Call me nostalgic but if there was something in the range akin to the Comp, then I’d consider experiencing them!

These ones:

https://fulltiltboots.com/en-gb/p/classic-pro
You can tune the flex by changing tongues. I believe these are the ONLY ones that use the same molds as the Raichles. I had Flexon Comps too and I think they would have had about an 8 flex tongue. I've tried 6/8/10 tongues in my classics and I'd say the 10s are fairly stiff (I don't tend to ski really stiff boots to be fair)
snow report
Grinning wrote:
andy'n'netty wrote:

Yay - FT First Chair 130 sounds perfect. Shame(?) they’ve lost the neon colour scheme

Before you get First Chairs you should listen to the Blister Podcast (might be Gear 30) interview with Bode Miller. He talks about how he wished he tried flexons when he was competing and experimented with Full Tilts after he retired. He tried First Chairs and didn't like them. Tried Classics and LOVED them. He concluded that when FT made the last a little roomier for the First Chairs they compromised the lateral stiffness. Now none of us are Bode but if you love Flexons then I would stick to the Classics.
latest classic:
ski holidays
Red90 wrote:
Yes. I just wanted to provide real world evidence. I asked Full Tilt and they were of zero help. They actually told me that the liners would not fit.

The difficult issue was figuring out sizing. The original boots have USA sizing and it does not directly cross over to the modern ski boot sizing.

That is pathetic - the shells of FT classics are identical in dimensions to Flexons, they come out of the same molds!
That said, given the age of the plastics, in your situation I'd find some of these to try on
snow report
Yeah the First Chair is the newer Soul shell with a bit of extra deck height to allow the use of footbeds, also a bit roomier in the toebox and have replaceable heel and toe pieces and Gripwalk soles.
The easiest way to tell the classic and soul shells apart is to look at the bottom of the boot, classic only has a small replaceable heel section where the Soul has full heel and toes that can be swopped.
I used the classics previously but find the extra room for a footbed in the Souls sorted niggles I had with the classics. Try both if you can.
snow report
andy'n'netty wrote:
Yeah the First Chair is the newer Soul shell with a bit of extra deck height to allow the use of footbeds, also a bit roomier in the toebox and have replaceable heel and toe pieces and Gripwalk soles.
The easiest way to tell the classic and soul shells apart is to look at the bottom of the boot, classic only has a small replaceable heel section where the Soul has full heel and toes that can be swopped.
I used the classics previously but find the extra room for a footbed in the Souls sorted niggles I had with the classics. Try both if you can.

That makes sense. My advice was only meant that if you know flexons fit you like a glove out of the box then go for classics.

I've said this before but the first boots I ever owned were flexon comps. I was working a ski season. The hire boots that I got through work were awful. I didn't have much money. There were a pair of last years flexons half price in a shop. I point at them, got measured, tried them on and walked out with them. Since then (nearly 30 years ago) I have owned lots of boots and none fitted me as well as the flexons. A few years a go someone on these boards was selling a pair of FT classics in my size for £50. I just wondered... got to be worth a try. If I like them I can just buy a new pair. Got them, tried them on and .... just perfect. Like a firm handshake with no pressure points and the absolutely locked down heel that I have struggled to get without discomfort. I haven't bothered to get a new pair. I don't use them all the time because I'm quite often using skis with tech bindings but when I'm on an alpine set up then I use the FTs and they feel SO right.
ski holidays
Thanks @jedster and andy'n'netty - I’ll see if the Classics work - the only similarity between me and Bode Miller is … nah, there isn’t one.
latest report
Duplicate

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 2-12-21 2:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Flexons are Flexons are Full Tilts are soon to be K2's, nothing's changed, other than better buckles, replaceable soles, but the construction is identical. An overlap boot you pull resistance from the back/spine, a three piece boot, you compress the resistance from the front of the tibia. Two different ways of catching a trout. Overlap boots are more rigid laterally, three piece boots more forgiving. Whatever Bode says, that's just science, can't change it. Elite Athletes have preferences the common population can only be confused by. To my knowledge Mr Miller never skied a Flexon on the WC, only a Nordica Dobermann, his comments are interesting, however what is said and what happens are rarely the same thing.
snow report
CH2O wrote:
Flexons are Flexons are Full Tilts are soon to be K2's, nothing's changed, other than better buckles, replaceable soles, but the construction is identical. An overlap boot you pull resistance from the back/spine, a three piece boot, you compress the resistance from the front of the tibia. Two different ways of catching a trout. Overlap boots are more rigid laterally, three piece boots more forgiving. Whatever Bode says, that's just science, can't change it. Elite Athletes have preferences the common population can only be confused by. To my knowledge Mr Miller never skied a Flexon on the WC, only a Nordica Dobermann, his comments are interesting, however what is said and what happens are rarely the same thing.

That all makes complete sense.

Have you listened to the podcast? Only a section is on boots but it was very interesting I think (at least if you are geeky about skiing). You are right about what Bode competed in. He tells an interesting story that his favourite boots when racing (and the ones he got the best results in) had cracks somewhere near the toe. The were brilliant for a season then broke. He explained that for his technique he needed to be very centred and his problem with overlap boots is the way they are very stiff then give. The point they give at is the point of maxium angulation and when they do the foot collapses inside a bit, increasing the edge angle just at the wrong moment. He felt the cracks allowed this flex to be more straightforward towards the toe avoiding the involuntary increase in edge angle. The reason that flexons intrigued him was a) the more linear flex and b) the fact that they flex straight forward rather than to the inside. Because of sponsorship etc he couldn't experiment until he retired. When he did he tried some First Chairs at a speed camp in Argentina and scared himself (because of the lack of lateral rigidity you mention). He was confused - "how could anyone ever have raced in these?". Then he tried some classics (or even flexons I forget) and loved them. I believe he skis in classics now.

Now Bode's stuff about overflexing overlap race boots is hardly a consideration for me (and I suspect 99.9% of people who post on these boards!). I like FT classics mainly because they fit my feet and lower leg perfectly and secondly because the way they flex seems natural to me. Much as I enjoy getting on my FIS SLs and cranking up the edge angles from time to time, I've never tested the lateral stiffness to the point they have felt lacking but I'm not and never have been a racer.
snow conditions
There's a solution, The Salomon Ghost, possibly to appear soon as the Faction "Candide" boot. Combines the best of both worlds.
ski holidays
A solution to what???
ski holidays
Getting a boot that shares Tibial and Achilles resistance.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy