Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland this friday 18th ?

Poster: A snowHead
Any snowheads fancy meeting up at one of the scottish resorts this friday open to suggestions as to which one dependant on weather coverage etc and maybe saturday too ??
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Helen LS, the forecasts have been chopping and changing for the weekend but currently Sunday looks like being the pick of the weekend.

Friday looks like a reasonable start but a storm pushing in pretty quickly and a pretty desperate afternoon of wind and rain.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brian, I keep watching the weather forcast I just dont know what to do Sad I have to go to church in haddington on sunday and am now off work so could drive up tomorrow ! I just dont know what to do !
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Current forecasts look good for - snow and wind today and tomorrow and then fine on Saturday and Sunday with Sunday being the less windy day snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks II, still not left scouser land so thinking of heading up to haddington today checking the weather reports again and then either driving up tomorrow night and having a night in the yh or doing a day trip on saturday decisions decsions decisions...................................

and then its where to go if I just do a day trip I havent been to cairngorm since they put the funicular in (and I dont really agree with it Sad ) and I have never ever skied at either glenshee or glencoe so should I give one of those a try ???
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Glencoe is worth a try Helen, it has the most interesting terrain of all the resorts IMHO, esp if Spring Run and Flypaper are open! Main Basin can be fun as well, lots of ways down it....

If you've not skiied Glenshee as well that's also worth a visit Smile

The good news is that with both the East and West having snow, you can go where the wind is forecast to be the lightest if you decide to make the trip.

Forecast still looking marginal...from http://www.winterhighland.info/general/

It's all back in the melting pot for Friday with another switch in the detail at just 36hours out. It's unlikely the global models will be able to nail this as tiny differences in global scales will make a huge difference to our mountain weather on Friday.

However the latest GFS data (18z on Wed) has much less severe winds during the morning and middle of the day, mean speeds around 30mph from the South. However the wind according to this run is set to increase suddenly and violently during the later afternoon potentially reaching mean speeds of 80+ mph. The Warm Sectors brush with the Central Highlands also looks short lived, and may give a period of heavy wet snow for a time on hurricane force winds in the evening.

That said it's quite a change in the detail from the previous run, the best advice for Friday is check the latest Met Office mountain forecast which is usually issued between 4 and 5am, and check the latest mountain weather data from the various weather stations listed in the weather page.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 17-01-08 11:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 brian
brian
Helen LS, convert to Judaism, go to the synagogue on Saturday and ski on Sunday, you know it makes sense ! wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
brian, I actually only do funerals weddings and christenings and as this is christening of niece lol I really cant get out of it my new plan is hatching which is

get up tomorrow drive to glencoe see how it goes bail out to fort bill for the storm and then ski nevis on saturday ......

(tbh I wasnt going to go at all using my girly flu as a excuse but now there is a chance of getting my ski legs back before my 3 weeks in Jackson Hole I am quite excited !) just about to cut the tags off my new arcteryx jacket !!

I have been checking out Winterhighland thanks for the info Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm sure you'll have fun Helen Smile

Keep an eye on winterhighland when your there as well, as it maybe that the East is stormbound and the West open or vice-versa........
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Could you not still have girly flu, but on the slopes?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen LS, Friday isn't looking good for the Highlands MWIS. Gusts to 90 mph and whiteout conditions, also rain:(

snowHead
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Helen LS, I'd think your best chance of better weather on Saturday will be at Glenshee but it'll probably be pretty busy. If you need to hire kit, try and get it sorted out the night before. A friend of mine spent 2 and a half hours in a queue last Saturday because his son forgot his snowboard boots ! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Best of luck with the trip Helen LS - as you might have noticed a few of us went up last weekend and had a great time, despite the conditions on Sunday.

Hopefully the weather will play ball but if not you can always sit by the fire and get cosy at one of the ski centres, if Cairngorm you can watch cool ski films too Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmmmm oh to have been able to go last weekend !!! Sad I have my skis in my car and all my thermals packed it looks like it might be a day trip to glenshee on saturday now the weather looks dire for tomorrow Sad

oh I dont know what to do I want to go skiing so badly I would actually drive to the lecht and last time I went there it brought new meaning to heather hopping Maybe I should go to church now and pray to god for advice ???
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hmmmm oh to have been able to go last weekend !!! Sad I have my skis in my car and all my thermals packed it looks like it might be a day trip to glenshee on saturday now the weather looks dire for tomorrow Sad

oh I dont know what to do I want to go skiing so badly I would actually drive to the lecht and last time I went there it brought new meaning to heather hopping Maybe I should go to church now and pray to god for advice ???
snow conditions
'We left at 7am and got stuck in a traffic jam before even getting to Glenshee. We finally made it to resort by mid-morning but after that people were being turned away. We queued for 3 hours for boots and skis, then again for the lift pass and the lift tows, so we only got to the slopes by mid-afternoon. We managed about 6 runs before it got dark, then faced another queue to get out of the car park, taking twice as long to get back to Edinburgh as usual.'

ENJOY wink wink

Edit 1 sorry forgot to say ; taken from SCGB website
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Helen LS, relax, the ski season up here lasts till may- come when it's nice snowHead
snow report
stewart woodward, the article gives a completely different picture of Nevis last Saturday than the one I experienced - as they say, you can't please all of the people all of the time!
snow report
II wrote:
Helen LS, relax, the ski season up here lasts till may- come when it's nice snowHead

LOL, you're so chilled out about it but then you are the lucky devil with the mountains on your doorstep wink
snow conditions
I know it lasts till may but I really want to go NOW !!! wink
snow conditions
Helen LS, have you gone?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ok had a ace time getting my ski legs bag at glenshee this morning was there for about 10.30 and spent the morning on the sunnyside poma and the tom dearg one a couple of times had a macaroni cheese pie and a hot chocolate for lunch £2.70, wrung my gloves out several times and then started skiing again the liftie acutally kept saying are you still here !!!! I skied till just after 2 as it was just raining but it was all beading off my arcteryx jacket the hood of which doesnt fit over my helmet:( but my hands were just too wet!

I then drove over to Aviemore via the lecht there were still people skiing there but it looked very heathery ? but the visibility was obviously better and am going to relent and go up to Cairngorm tomorrow we shall see how it goes and weather my gloves have dried out !!!
snow report
good on you Helen Smile
snow conditions
Nice one Helen - sounds not dissimilar to last Sunday at Cairngorm but I still had a great time.

Looks like tomorrow is going to turn cold again and snow may well fall snowHead

BTW, I had the same problem with my gloves - absolutely sodden, I had some spares just in case but didn't bother going back to the car to get them. You know I have never found gloves that can stay dry in all the weather Scotland can throw at you!
snow report
Thanks everyone Well I am currently struggling to stay awake as its way too early to go to bed I based my decision to come to aviemore on the toss of a coin I find that normally works best for the important things in life;)

I will update you all tomorrow with not only how my microwave in the pot scottish porridge tastes but also how I find cairngorm after 12 years :0
snow conditions
Helen LS, have fun Shocked
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
microwave scottish porridge was foul I shouldnt have been so lazy and made proper stuff !!!!!!!!! off to try and get up to the hill now Smile
latest report
So how was it?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cairngorm was fine I was parked up just before 9am so didnt have to queue too long for the funicular, then I came out at the top and the wind was blowing me backwards it was unreal and I was a bit OMG this is awful but I got going it was a little hard but not green ice which I have seen before lots of death cookies made my way down to the cas tow and blasted up and down that most of the day till it broke in the afternoon apparently the rope came off up at the top or something.......... You could ski all the way down to the bottom which I have never been able to do before and I did a couple of runs up the day lodge/ m2 as no one else was using that it was a decentish width and again hard packed!

My two days were much better than 2 trips to a snow dome and the day pass not that much more expensive than a 2 hour slot and I had a great time BUT I am now petrified about going to Jackson Hole in 2 weeks I was skiing some double blacks in louise and sunshine last year and will ski any run on the mountain but I looked at the White lady and thought Nah !!!!! I dont think I will get away with that on a steep and deep course Shocked

I have also added the snow days application for anyone who is a face book user this allows you to track your days on the snow and your planned ones Very Happy
snow report
Helen LS, cool, glad you had a good time Very Happy

I wouldn't worry about the White Lady, I decided it wasn't worth the risk after skiing the M1 when we were up because the visibility was p*ss poor, the run hadn't been pisted and snow was thick but very heavy at the time. When we did the supposedly unpisted M1 it turned out it had had a pisting machine driven up (or down) it with no groomer so the snow was churned and very rutted - good fun coming down though lol!
snow conditions
Oh I definitely had a good time infact when I was skiing on Friday in Glenshee the lifty actually said to me "are you having a good time you're still here!" I was all smiling and loving the skiing despite the rain !

there is now only 12 sleeps I think so excited .........

But for anyone still reading this about Scotland I will definitely be heading back up in March when I am back and april if any snowheads want to meet up !
ski holidays
I think I'll be returning for a few weekends Helen LS, given decent conditions, and don't forget there's also the equipment demo at Nevis on the 22nd and 23rd of March - thread about it here
snow report
roga, I know that its easter weekend isntit ??? I may be able to make it up as I am working good friday but could come up after ............... lets watch the weather !

My plan next time is to hopefully take in Glencoe and Nevis ................ weather depending !
ski holidays
Helen LS,

You should ahve tried the White Lady on Saturday - it was probably the best run on the mountain. The Ciste Gulley wasn't bad either, I did that last thing and then skinned out and down the daylodge. Only problem was the vis was a bit poor and about half way down it was a bit windsculpted which was then frozen in. As I couldn't see them I took a fall as I was teleing. I didn't like the Daylodge as I found it hard going into the stiff breeze, but did ski a few runs on it as it was quiet and the snow conditions were nice.
snow conditions
^^ Helen LS, yes Easter weekend, full details are on the thread I linked to above.
ski holidays
Dave Horsley, You wouldnt have been the person I saw skinning up to the ciste from the day lodge poma on Saturday at about 14.30 would you ???

I know I should have tried it but I was a bit like I have had a blast and I am skiing by myself lets not have a accident yet !!

roga, I have seen the thread and if the weather looks good I will definitely try and get up I dont get very many weekends off so it would be nice to finally meet some other Snowheads Smile
snow conditions
Helen LS,

No, I was coming the other way a bit later in the afternoon, but I may have been on the Daylodge run at the time as I saw a guy skin across the Aonach bowl then up the wwpoma line. Ben from freeskiing commented at the time that he was daft not dropping down into the gulley so he'd be out of the wind. I was wearing green salopettes, a scruffy yellow and black down jacket and a stupid norwegian style hat. I was skiing on telekit and occasionally doing the odd tele turn Wink
snow report
Hear's a bit of vid footage, so you can see what I was wearing, how bad my telesking is and how nice the Lady was.

http://youtube.com/v/aPrlVvomrAQ
snow conditions
oooh that looks lovely !! slightly annoyed with myself now but hey ho !

I was wearing a pale blue helmet that has a canada sticker on the back of it and a buff anyone who spoke to me wouldnt actually know what I look like as I was completely covered up!

The telemarking turns look fab very impressive and graceful !
latest report
The White Lady looks good Dave, and you're a better tele skier than I'd be! Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy