Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Breckenridge info please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of heading over there next season. Is there enough skiing there to keep two steady intermediates happy for a 10 day trip? Any recommendations for accomodation? Also, is the altitude much of an issue - I read on the Ski Club reader feedback that a few people suffered with this.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ajpaul, if you get bored with breck, you can take the free bus to Keystone and Copper (both worth a vist at least once).
Vail, A-basin and Beaver Creek are all reasonably close but will probably cost you a few bucks to get to. Further away you have Winter Park, and even further Aspen.

...but Breck should be good for 10 days.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do a search for info on the altitude. Basically you will eather die or have minor if any symtoms. I had a dry mouth. So drank more water than i do at sea level.

As for the the skiing i would say 10 days is a push. But vail and keystone are on the same lift pass and not far away.

the vertical is limited, (if you went to the top at breck (about the same as the top at zermatt altitude wise) you would have to ski to denver to get the same altitude difference as zermatt for instance) and many runs are just a thin sliver of trees away from the next.

That said the skiing is plesent enough - especailly at either extreme edge. There is even a warning sign on the right end runs to say they are "natural rolling terrain" rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

to get an idea of extent zoom in on google earth and note the altitude. the trails are clear to see amongst the trees then zoom in on the last resort you went to at the same google earth altitude and work out the extent of that resort you can see.

Town is really nice. Brewery was a favourite.

My trip report here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=543757
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat, IIRC A Basin is also a free bus away Smile

Combine it with night skiing at Keystone. Drink plenty of water, limit alcohol for the first couple of days. Head for the Brewery Toofy Grin And local restaurants on Ridge street rather than the tourist traps down Main Street Smile Salt Creek is fun when the line dancing is on, just to watch wink

Just a shame they have taken the fun out of hiking up Peaks 8 and 7 , that checks your fitness level. Very Happy

Runs are rather short and are quite flat near resort base so its better to stay up the mountain.

Try heading to Vail or Beaver Creek for a day if you can Smile and shoopping at Silverthorn.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Is there enough skiing there to keep two steady intermediates happy for a 10 day trip?

I'd say not. So that lead to your next question of "Any recommendations for accomodation?". You may save some money by staying AWAY from slopeside, because you're going to end up going over to Keystone and A-basin, even Vail. So, if you're going to take a bus here and there, no sense paying more for slopeside.

No, I don't have a place to recommend. But just something to keep in mind when you look at location of loding.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 17-01-08 1:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We spent 10 days in Breckenridge a couple of years ago. We took a day at Vail and another at Keystone (on the Breckenridge pass), and were kept amused in Breckenridge for the rest of the time. I think you'll be happy for 10 days, and as has been said there are other resorts to visit.

The altitude was a pain, although not a serious problem; it's the sleeping (or not) at altitude that does it. Oxygen enriched air is avaialble over the counter. It was enough of a pain to put us off going again, I think, which is a pity as it's otherwise an enjoyable place. Some excellent bars and restaurants.

We stayed right on the slurrps at The Liftside. Needed a coat of paint and the rooms were not huge (although ours had a proper kitchen, which was quite handy. Very convenient and good value (in a package from United Vacations)..
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Drink plenty of water, limit alcohol for the first couple of days

Hmmn, I can do the first bit, unlikely to manage the second Smile Thanks for the info folks - the jury remains out on this one!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

The altitude was a pain, although not a serious problem; it's the sleeping (or not) at altitude that does it. Oxygen enriched air is avaialble over the counter. It was enough of a pain to put us off going again,

If you KNOW you're going to be affected by sleeping at altitude, you can spend the first night at Denver take it easy the first day of skiing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We're going at Easter this year so can't tell you what its like but I have done quite a bit of research on accommodation as we decided not to do a package deal but organise it ourselves as we could do it quite a bit cheaper. We looked both at self catering (which most of the accommodation seems to be) and also at B&B, which is what we've gone for as it gives us a full breakfast (& the American breakfasts sound huge!) and afternoon tea as well as a central looking location with free parking. We're stopping at http://www.abbettplacer.com/ which I found from using other websites including http://colorado-bnb.com/city/breckenridge Obviously we've not been yet but I can say that the people who run it have been very helpful each time I've contacted them so far including to change the dates we're staying; the people running http://www.firesideinn.com were also particularly helpful but couldn't accommodate us for our required dates. I also looked at booking self catering accommodation and again there were much better prices to be had by booking direct than via any tour operator I could find even after factoring in discounts such as from the ski club. I'm not sure which websites I used for self catering accommodation but I think one might have been http://www.gobreck.com/ - I can't remember now as it was in the Autumn.

In less than 10 weeks we'll be there snowHead snowHead snowHead and I can report back then what it was like.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
blizt - thanks for that - looking forward to hearing your feedback. Have a great trip in the meantime. snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abc wrote:
Quote:

The altitude was a pain, although not a serious problem; it's the sleeping (or not) at altitude that does it. Oxygen enriched air is avaialble over the counter. It was enough of a pain to put us off going again,

If you KNOW you're going to be affected by sleeping at altitude, you can spend the first night at Denver take it easy the first day of skiing.

That would help, I'm sure. Altitude seems to affect different people very differently; past experience suggests that we (my family) are not especially badly affected by it, so it might be that some peoples' hols could be significantly spoiled. Equally, others would probably not notice the difference. I was not aware of anyone in Breckenridge having serious problems, but we all felt the effects to an unpleasant extent, and the local chemists and quacks do nice business. My son went to the doc's with conjunctivitis (possibly encouraged by the dry atmos?) and was given a blood oxygen check. The doc toyed with the idea of giving him oxygen but in the end gave us a scrip for oxygen if we felt that he needed it (we didn't - if we had, we could have called the no. on the scrip and a cylinder would have been delivered to our door, very well organised).

I'd like to go to Breckenridge again but I'd want to spend several days somewhere a bit lower first.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy