Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone ever been skiing in Turkey?

Poster: A snowHead
Was just chatting to a lad from Turkey, he was telling me about their mountains etc and how skiing is becoming more and more popular there.

Anyone got any experience of skiing in Turkey? I've had a good look on the web and the facilities seem a bit underdeveloped but the terrain there looks to hold much potential.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haven't been yet.

But Turkey is high, cold and snowy.

If they can develop the resorts, then it has solid potential.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No, but i've seen plenty of 'Turkeys Skiing.'
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I believe Jef Wickes was visting Turkey recently, maybe he will fill in report.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's right Jef Wickes is in and out of Turkey all the time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
i know there are a number of heli ops out there and an acquaintance of mine has done some pretty wild sounding touring. not sure what sort of resort infrastructure there is if any. apparently it has big mountains and gets shed loads of snow so those are pretty good signs IMO
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I too, know a skier from Turkey. He's of the opinion that the resort there aren't intereting enough for anyone except those living near by.

That said, there's one resort or two only an hour or so outside of Istanbul. And a few more in Central Turkey. The further east one goes, the bigger the mountains and more snow. Though no resorts due to low population and limited access. I heard there's heli skiing out east in there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I know this is an old topic but I have logged on for the first time in ages, and since I live in Turkey I have a bit of experience of skiing here. If I was to use two words I would describe skiing here as "untapped potential".

The two main resorts fairly close to Istanbul are called Uludag and Kartalkaya, both of which have a crazy system where you can only get a lift pass for half the terrain depending on which hotel you are staying in. However, that is set to change in Uludag this year which will allow more than 50km of skiing on one pass. Infrastructure in both is fairly old, and crowds can be horrible at weekends, but if you go in the week the crowds are non-existent and everything is cheaper. As it is a new sport only wealthy Turks can afford to go, and there is not yet enough interest to warrant further investment in the infrastructure.

That said, last time I was in Kartalkaya the snow was fantastic (2.8m deep at the beginning of March) and there was plenty of untouched powder to play in. Pistes are generally short but they could easily entend the resort over the back of the mountain, or extend the runs further down the mountain. Both of these resorts can suffer from fog, so if possible it's best to look a few days ahead and make a decision to ski based on the forecast. Also, I have heard that they often don't open many of the lifts if the pistes are quiet, leading to a bit of a vicious circle... people come midweek, lifts are closed, people decide not to come again, resort doesn't invest money, new skiers don't come etc etc

The biggest resort is Palandoken in Eastern Turkey, near the city of Erzurum. It has seen investment this year for the upcoming World University Winter Games, and has a respectable 1000m of vertical (starting from 2200m, so a long season....). There are plenty of other mountain ranges with potential for good skiing so I am hoping that someone soon will develop a really world-class resort here.

Fingers crossed!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've just been for a hair cut at the Turkish barbers here in town and as usual the chit chat among hair dressers and clients was of holidays ...

He assured me that there was skiing in Turkey so I've just searched the archives and found this thread which mentions Erzurum where he was talking about.
But its been 6 years since the last post on this thread and I was wondering if anyone has any more recent experience?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I haven't been there, but it's high up the list: big mountains and lots of snow. Also some very affordable heliskiing.

Check out Fabi Lentsch's 'Snowmads' project - he and Neil Williman scored some great skiing there earlier in the season (he's currently in Iran!).

http://www.redbull.com/at/de/snow/events/1331764641263/snowmads
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers @clarky999,
There is a world of snow out there.

I've heard of skiing near Tehran before .. I was told they have segregated ski slopes !
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snoworks run a yearly trip to Turkey.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just google Erciyes
http://www.skiingturkey.com/resorts/erciyes.html

Enormous extinct vulcano with large and high skiing are, still much potential to develop, and not too much resistance from our green friends.

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@clarky999,
Quote:

Also some very affordable heliskiing.

Just been googling Turkey+Heliskiing... Looks v good value as compared to getting to Alaska or similar. Do you know anyone who has been Heli in Turkey?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@kat.ryb, some friends have and had a lovely time. That said, two who regularly go heli have reverted back to Canada...
snow report
Quote:

That said, two who regularly go heli have reverted back to Canada...

Do you know why? Geopoitical unrest concerns? Quality of snow? Heli safety? Quality of guiding? Overall VFM with just a better product in Canada?

Heli snowboarding is on my 'aspirational' list of things to do. The turkey prices €7.5k look more achievable than a week in Alaska @ £10k+.
snow report
@kat.ryb, I have never really asked but I do know that they came across CMH's "Galena" lodge (which is very much pitched by CMH as for experienced off piste riders) and I think they found the skiing better. I've been to Galena once and we did ski lots of pretty steep stuff through the trees.

I hear the problem with Alaska specifically is that the weather is somewhat against you. Most BC places suggest ~1 "down" day a week, whereas Alaska apparently more 1 out of two days and the storms can last some time - i.e. go there with no time limit as you may have to wait for the conditions to get good.

Mind you, no snow without storms.
ski holidays
Thanks @under a new name, useful insight.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy