Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corvara to Flaine?!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have booked a family holiday in Corvara w/c 22/3. 10 minutes after booking and paying a large deposit my student daughter tells me she has arranged to do with a gang to Flaine for a week - either the week before or the week afterwards. So somehow she needs to get from Corvara (we can get her to Verona on the transfer coach) to Flaine (or vice versa). The flight from Verona to Geneva is very expensive (rather more than her whole week in Flaine will cost). Can anyone suggest a train or coach route that a student might be able to make without costing her (me rolling eyes ) a fortune? Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
noggy, good luck!

Trenitalia.com suggests it's possible to get a train from Verona at Midday but it doesn't arrive at Geneva until almost 7pm. Checking train times from stations closer to Corvara (Brunico and Modena) gives even later arrival times in Geneva.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
often cheaper/quicker to fly back to the uk then back out to geneva rather than travelling across europe.

otherwise perhaps a one-way car hire (if she drives) and drop off the car at Cluses (nearest town to flaine)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
noggy,

I doubt you could have picked a much worse connection.
I think you'd need to get to Milan/Simplon/Brig/Geneva and then you have to get to Flaine which you might be able to do by bus...

I would hate to think what the whole route by bus would be like.... but again Milan/Aosta and the through to Chamonix/St Gervais ( train ) and then onto Cluses.

I suspect either will be a horrible journey and will take ALL day.

The best looking option is the train as above, as at least that is 90% of the travel taken care of in one hit..but you still have to get over to Flaine quite late
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've porgressively checked all the train times from the stations I know around the dolomites, the only vaguely decent one is the Verona one I mentioned earlier:

Dep Verona Porta Nuova 12:18 Arr Milano Centrale 13:55
Dep Milano Centrale 14:25 Arr Geneve 18:53

From experience Italian trains are normally pretty good. The cost of this should be €57.50, I'm not sure if you can get an advance discount it's too early to buy online for that date, be aware that Verona has three stations Porta Vescova and Villafranca di Verona are the other two, the train for Milano only goes from Porta Nuova though and I'm not sure how you'd get there I imagine there's a bus from the airport but don't know how long that would take of course you've then got to organise transport from Geneva, there might be a bus but that depends on their timetable. Picking up tickets for train travel is easy in Italy although you might need the card used for the booking if bought online I'm not sure about that. The self service machines are easy to use in the stations even with only very basic knowledge of Italian ( I know about 5 sentences).

EDIT: You can get a train from Verona to Cluses but it involves stopping overnight in Chamberry. Arrival in Cluses is 08:48 so she'd probably lose 1/2 days skiing in getting up to Flaine and sorting things out.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Swirly, and everyone - thanks very much indeed! Very helpful. I guess it'll be the train or nothing - she does drive but I can't imagine she'd be happy driving that distance. The fare you mention seems extra-ordinarily reasonable.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
noggy, no worries glad to be of some help for once!

Bus from Verona airport to railway station costs €4.50 and they run every 20 minutes from 06.35 a.m. to 11.35 p.m. one of the stations might be near the airport (Villafranca di Verona) but she'd still have to connect to Porto Nuova. I've only flown from Verona once but the buses should be easy to find, you might need to buy a ticket inside the terminal, you do at Venice, I've been to the station but only to change trains; however, Italian trains are great, there's always a board (paper/card) at the station which tells you which platform, this never changes (hence it being paper/card) which is probably one reason for the reliability.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Swirly, Brilliant - thanks again!
Noggy (Mossley Hill Road,Smithdown Rd, Nicander Road 1975 -1978!)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've known a few people that have lived on Nicander; I lived on Crammond Ave for a while, live off Picton now.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy