Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What should i try out?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone.

I've been toying with the idea of getting my own skis but don't know where to start. I'm an OK intermediate and spend my whole time on-piste.What i would like to know is:

1. What features should i be looking for/ what are the best makes?

2. Should i buy in the UK or wait until i'm in Italy in Feb?

3. Will the ski shops in resort be happy with me trying out a number of different skis?

and the most important Question:

4. How much should i spend?

Thanks in advance for any/all responses
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How long is a piece of string ? Toofy Grin

Do a bit of research first. For on-piste skis, look for 'on piste carvers.' Decide on your level and go from there. If you have a look at, say, snow & rock, there will be a selection of on piste skis that will be suitable. Then you need to be able to try out some of the skis you fancy, on the snow. My husband is a good intermediate and he likes the Fischer and Volkl
Lots of the brands have their own websites and each website usually has a 'ski selector' search facility. You can search Snowheads also. hth.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd look for a detuned slalomy type myself.

Demo a few in resort and buy the ones you like best.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
erica2004, thank you for the advice.

Mosha Marc, Apologies for my ignorance but what does "detuned slalomy type" mean?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
richlott, A detuned Slalom ski is a whole lot softer than a race ski, so it's much less aggressive, far easier to ski and a bit more versatile. Mainly on piste, short to medium radius, good edge hold and quick edge to edge. Not great for soft snow or off-piste.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
richlott, I'd suggest your best bet is when you're next on holiday find a hire shop that will let you try out a different pair everyday (most shops are cool with this) then when you find a pair you like make them an offer! As to how much to pay.... tricky, but especially if you're there from Easter onwards there'll be open to offers so may 200 Euros inc bindings & poles??? (that's a pure guess...) Alternativly buy on line in the UK after having taken a careful note of specs of skis & bindings...

It's a better method than taking a flyer based on a review... I like Salomon skis, but some people on here hate them... I just can't ski on Head skis - a friend of mine loves them! You get the picture...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spyderman, Thanks for the explanation.

red 27, Again, thanks

I'm off to italy for the feb half term and i will use all your input wisely! Hopefully Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I gurantee that you won't go wrong with a pair of Volkls for on-piste skis. But, as already said, demo some skis when you're next in resort (most hire shops and retails shops will probably have a set up for this), that way you'll be able to find a pair of skis that feel good for you as opposed to someone else (I'd probably recommend a pair that were too stiff, plenty on here would probably suggest a pair that were too wide... and so it goes on, skiing style is quite a personally specific thing, and will make different skis perform differently).

My new skis cost about £600, the pair before about £300 - but you can probably pick stuff up before the sales from about £200 upwards.

Have you got your own boots already?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skisimon, i've got my own boots but as they a few seasons old, i could change these if necessary
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
richlott, don't sweat the age of them Rich - if they're comfy stick with them
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
richlott, not going to Pila/Aosta by any chance??

CD.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
red 27, I would like to stay with my boots especially as i have just had footbeds made and as you so rightly said, comfort is the most important thing.

chrisdavis, I'm off to La Thuile for the Feb Half Term. Can't wait!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was in Italy last week and looked in the ski shops to compare prices for skis, to the sort of price you can buy for at Ski Billek.I thought they were quite expensive in that most were
400 to 800 euros and some not including bindings.

My Fischer AMC76 skis with with FX12 railflex bindings, titanium air carbon chassis, brand new, cost me 190 euros and I reckon I could have paid less ! and I think they are a good ski, but of course I have very limited knowledge.

Then again,are there any bad skis these days/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richlott, I asked, as there's a shop in Aosta that does very good deals on skis - can't be beaten really.

Have a good trip Cool

CD.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bernie, Thanks for the info. Just one question. What/ where is Ski Billek? O.K. i know that two wink

chrisdavis, I don't know if a trip from La Thuile to Aosta is practicle but if you give me the details, i'll try to get there. And thanks for the best wishes, i'm looking forward to having a great time. Toofy Grin
snow report
richlott, We did an away day from Aosta to La Thuille at Christmas - the skiing was fab!! it's over an hour each way...and you miss out on ski time, bit of a long-shot.
I think he sells last season skis at really good prices. I'm a Newcastle fan, and he sold me red and white striped skis!!

If you are passing, it's http://www.technosport.vda.it/

Cheers,
CD.
snow report
trundle into your local shop. They'll almost certainly have some of last season's kit around at a very reasonable price. You shouldn't need to spend more than £270 including bindings.
ski holidays
Ski Bilek

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Ski-Bilek_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amewaQ3amesstQQtZkm
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy