Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your opinion on DRIVING to AVORIAZ from GENEVA.

Poster: A snowHead
Off to Avoriaz in 2 weeks so a few questions here about the drive from Geneva

1. 1st of all what's the best route to go. As far as I can make out from looking at a map and t'internet there are 3 possible routes. Those are a) Head out towards Annemasse, onto the D907, hang a left ar Taninges onto the D902 to Morzine and follow signs for Avoriaz B) Similar to last but head out on the motorway (A40?) and bomb along to Cluses, hang a left onto the D902 and proceed as above c) Zoom up the N5 towards Thonon/Evian. At Thonon ish turn right onto the D902 to Morzine.
2. What are above routes like?
3. After booking I've since bought a map and the roads look a bit twiddly (bendy!) espcially up from Morzine indictaing steep hills. What are these roads going to be like. Are they generally speaking cleared of snow or am I going to be cacking it! Are they that steep?

Thanks in advance....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dandtd, we favour your option A) It's quickest as long as the traffic isn't heavy. Option B) might be better depending on time of day/traffic, etc. You don't need (and don't want) to go through Cluses centre. Option C) is likely to be slowest.

Morzine - Avoriaz is quite "twiddly" (?) - at least the early bit out of Morzine. Not sure about snow clearing as I haven't driven up there in 17 years. Remember that he last few kms are all above 1,600m so I very much hope there will be snow. If there's a heavy fall you will need snow chains.

Alternatively, you may want to park at Prodains (I would) and take the cable car up - as your car is no use in Avoriaz anyway. You may want to hire a transporter at the top to get you from your car park or cable car to where ever you're staying.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A,= Good
B= Cluses and steep hill
C= PITA , onlu used during rock-falls pr similar
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you one and all. I knew about the no cars in Avoriaz bit and I was going to ask about the Prodaines cable car and the viability of using it so here's a couple or three more questions!!

When does it close for the day. We are due in Geneva at 13:30, by the time we get through pick up car go the wrong way one or 2 times by the time I'm on the right road it could be getting on for 15:00. Tkaing a sedate (?) 2 hour trip we won't be getting there until 17:00 earlist so will cable be open and for how much longer?

I presume it's what people do so I guess I can park there overnight and up to 4 days. How safe is it?

I presume at the top of the cable there are modes of transport to the hotel (reindeer, sow bikes, passing sherpas) - are they dear?

Do they try and keep the roads snow/ice free these days (even up to Av). This is my 2nd year back into skiing and last season there wasn't enough snow to cause problems but I seem to remember the Austrian were good at clearing the snow and the Italians weren't. Never been to France b4 'cept for last xmas and last Easter.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've done 'B' twice as far as Morzine, including in heavy snow, with no difficulties at all. Didn't need snow chains it is a well driven route. Never had a problem at Cluses, not a very pretty place though. Never even considered a different route, longest was 1 hour twenty with no stops.

Have a great time its one of my favourites.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dandtd, A and B best options. To be honest I generally do B as I'm more used to driving to Chamonix but either way will get you there which is the main thing! Smile Definantely take snow chains as there is no way of avoiding steep hills..it is in the mountains after all!
snow conditions
 brian
brian
dandtd, I've done more or less 'A' 3 times but found that it's faster to bypass Annemasse on the motorway and then get onto the D907 via the D9.

The Prodains cable car is open well into the evening.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dandtd, sorry, didn't read your A) properly. A) should be onto Motorway just after GVA airport, through Bardonnex Douane, follow signs for Chamonix, onto A40 just as you pass Annemasse, leave A40 just after the peage (J15 IIRC marked Vallee Verte, pont de Fillinges, Morzine Les Gets, etc.) follow road up to Taninges, etc.

Sledge hire, etc. http://www.avoriaz.com/ski-holidays/ski-resort/parking.php

Prodains must be safe enough. Overnighting it I'm sure fine. Although I have no idea what you do if there's 60cm of snow. Avoriaz may be more tooled up for digging you out (or there's a covered car park).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Murdoch, 1/10 for not reading my post properly but 12/10 for all the sound advice and help. That goes for the lot of you! Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you are travelling on Saturday, especially for returning to Geneva, I would avoid any route that goes anywhere near Cluses if at all possible.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
elgrego, I'd avoid any route heading away from or to Geneva Airport, PDS, Tarentaise, Cluses, Chamonix Valley, the Aravis, ...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch, I was goiing to post .. " I would avoid the A4 flyover in London between 4 and 7 pm" but thought better of it as the poster was new here ....

PS . Snowhead alert .... Airports have customers ... please 'advance-book' Twisted Evil
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
elgrego, David Murdoch, Agenterre, Sugar, I'm travelling back Saturday so the A4's out then!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 15-01-08 23:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I guess one question is "is you car-rental from the french or Swiss side of the airport?"

Last saturday we bailed from the airport around 10:30 am and went straight for city centre, round the edge (bottom) of the lake and then towards Thonon, but v. quickly the signpost for Chamonix took us out of the city onto the E40, then along to cluses and turn off thru taninges and onto morzine.

I was surprised at the scarcity of traffic around the city centre. Took about 90 minutes total from car park to appartment.

Enjoy...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dandtd, I'm just trying to help. Cluses in my experience is very busy on a Saturday, given as you have to get to Geneva airport presumably, it's best not to go near it.
agenterre, Avoiding the A4 flyover in London isn't relevant to the original post Laughing
latest report
elgrego, Post was my attempt at wit but appreciate the advice.
bertie bassett, excellent!
ski holidays
dandtd, Proadains closes about Midnight so you should be ok.
ski holidays
Roy Hockley, cheers Roy
latest report
if you would like to miss out cluses( which if youa re driving on transfer day is a must!!) then there are a number of options to come off the autoroute blanche before the les gets turning . my favourite, and the route I use all the time from now is to take the grand bornand, la clusaz junction off the motorway, as you get off the motorway follow the signs for martigny . you then whizz along a fast A road parallel to the motorway, this then starts climbing and you come out on "muddy corner" as we like to call it, ie where the are warning signs for boue as you would normally rise out of cluses. you miss cluses completely and its a load faster !
latest report
AAARRGGGGGHHHH !!!! Twisted Evil wink
latest report
torico, Agree totally with you. Cluses can be a disaster depending on the day.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dandtd, did you say whether you were hiring on Swiss or French side? It makes a difference - the former is much easier. Also, make sure you have snowchains. You just never know, and in a heavy storm, no matter how good the authorities are at clearing the roads, there could well be snow on the road and you may be prevented by the police from proceeding without them.
snow report
Have driven to Morzine/Les Gets a few times summer and winter. Needed chains once below Les Gets and in resort to get to our appt. I always found the worst bit was going through Tagnines(SP) as thats where 2 routes meet but hey your going skiing so turn the music up open the nibbles and chill.

I dont think the road in is that bad a bit benddy but I seem to remember thinking it was fine at the time. If it is snowy dont worry, the Gendarmerie will be out in force ensuring people chain up and stop them driving like idiots. They were pretty high profile at the junction in Tagninnes as well
ski holidays
pam w, swisss side and I'll be asking for chains!!
latest report
btw how do you put snow chains on!?presume you lay them in front of each wheel - drive over them and then do them up (with what?). can you only have snow chains on when there's snow on the ground? also do you have to ask for them or (on the swiss side) do you get snow cahins automatically?
snow report
dandtd, Depends on who you rent with. Sometimes they are with the car, other times you have to ask. Check when you get the car. It's not a bad idea to practise putting them on in the car park before you leave geneva IF the weather looks like you'll need them. There's nothing worse that puting on chains in a blizzard for the first time...for you AND everyone behind you!!
snow conditions
dandtd,
Quote:

btw how do you put snow chains on!?

see here http://www.snowchains.co.uk/main/techna.htm#

Click View video..most chains are like this but there are other types (see the snow chains web site of the others)
latest report
You are spot on - route A is by far the best (through St Jeoire to Taninges) I have done the Woking to Avoriaz trip every year for the last 4 years ( including the summer which is a piece of ****) . With no snow on the roads it is easy
BUT BEWARE - and I really mean it ( having been caught 4 times in the 8 return trips ) in a snow dump. 2 in the early morning (6am) on the way home and 2 on the way up (7pm ish). SNOW CHAINS ARE NOT ONLY ESSENTIAL, BUT YOU WILL GET SERIOUSLY FINED BY THE POLICE MUNICIPAL IF YOU DON'T HAVE THEM.I have been pulled to one side on 2 occassions to check my wheel chains, headlamp converters, etc by the Police, once after taking nearly 2 hours to get down to Morzine in a state of trauma. That day there was so much snow they couldn't clear it, I couldn't see the edge of the road and was relying on the painted poles that stick in the side of the road to have any idea where the road edge was.
I don't like the climb from Morzine to Avoriaz one bit, it actually scares me, and have often considered parking at Prodans and getting the cable car up. This is actually not a bad option - free parking and the cable car runs until at least 11pm. Parking at Avoriaz is not cheap - at least 80 euros under cover and 40 euros outside. Plus you have to hail a transport for 8 euros to the apartment. The outside parking is some distance away and you will inevitably have to dig your car out if there for a week or over. I have always preferred paying the extra; for shifting a ton of snow off the car is no fun with kids at 6 in the morning
Anyway, the bare facts are that there are 20 hairpins up from Morzine to Avoriaz ( I count down every one of them, believe me) and it is steep once you get above the tree line. Just keep an eye on the weather forecast and pray for no snow during your ascent/descent. You'll love it when you get there,. hope it all goes well
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nothing like advice which comes straight from experience.... people do sometimes assume that "they" keep the roads clear but if it snows hard (as you should hope it does, when you are arriving for a ski holiday!) the snow piles up a whole lot quicker than "they" can clear it and "they" become deeply unimpressed by unprepared drivers who can bring an entire road to a halt. Carry chains, and put them on at the first sign of loss of traction, not when slewed across two lanes learning new French swear words! As for people who say "I've done that drive X times and there's no need for chains" Twisted Evil
snow conditions
This gets mentioned on every chain thread but its worth it. Seems obvious but dont pack all your bags on top of the chains. Have a pair of old gloves handy, your hands get cold very quickly. If poss have something to kneel on bacause ditto with knees, also have a small torch as well, a mini maglite should be enough.

The 3 pairs of chains I have owned all said that after you fit them drive forward 2-3 meters and then re tighten them. Thought I knew better than the manufacturer the first time but nope.

Its accutally pretty simple to fit them, just read the instructions you get and dont stress, every one else will be in the same situation. First time I fitted them in anger took about 30 min, now I do it in about 10
latest report
cfc5mu0, THanks - clear as mud!!
oscarkat, looks like I'm parking at prodans
pam w, i think i'd take chains in the middle of summer!
Gilberts Fridge, good advice
latest report
Just back from 5days staying in St Jean du Alps and driving to Avoriaz each morning. First day they had over a foot fall overnight but roads were pretty clear.
Parking at Prodains cable was easiest option. They have a long stay car park at bottom and a daily car park. Both car parks were cleared by JCB each morning. Cable car runs till 10pm.
We picked up car from Swiss side and got the winter pack (winter tyres and snow chains). Its amazing the difference winter tyres make. You will notice all the locals use these. The climb from Morzine to prodains car park was kept clear each day we were there.
We headed along lake to Thonon then up to Jean du Alps. This road then continues onto Morzine/Avoriaz.
snow report
dandtd, my opinion,i wouldnt bother,you could get a private transfer just has cheap if there a couple of you ,and less hassle,with the snow they are having at the moment,who knows what could happen .i know of a brill company,it takes one and a half hours, on the way the drivers are all local to the area,and you can ask them any questions about the resorts you intend to vist,its like having your own personal welcome meeting.if you are interested i would be glad to help you with there name . :sH:in fact it would probaly be cheaper to have a private transfer
snow report
bute13, excellent , thankyou
chris boarder, i've alrady got a good deal on a hire car pre paid but I'll bear it in mind for next time. what sort of cost are we looking at for interest?
snow report
dandtd, it will cost you about 240 uros,there and back,it will pick you up ,and drop you at your hotel ,then pick you up and take you to the airport.for example,i caught the 7 oclock flight from bristol,and i was on the slope at 12 oclock french time,the quicker you can get there ,the quicker you can get on the snow.
ski holidays
chris boarder, What company?
snow conditions
It's so important to practice, and so many people don't. This morning, when we were driving down the hill to Geneva, and stopped to take off chains, we took pity on two French couples in a car going up, who were struggling with their brand new chains - they had the instructions out, which is always a bad sign, and were getting nowhere. They must have been a bit surprised when an elderly English woman helped them put them on. On the way back up we had to use our Fiat Multipla this evening to pull a huge great 4WD (a Cayenne whatever - I'm no petrolhead) out of the pretty deep and solid ploughed snow at the side of the road - he had obviously skidded and headed strasight in. Some people in 4WD cars seem to tphink they are exempt from the laws of physics - he was probably driving too fast and he was lucky that the very solid bank of ploughed snow prevented his going right over the edge. We have 4 snow tyres and hadn't put the chains on at that point - we had plenty of traction for ourselves, but I put the chains on before we tried to pull him out. My brother in law, who we had just picked up in Geneva, has considerable experience of towing, and with some jiggling around he succeeded - my sister and I went up and down the road to slow down any oncoming traffic. So we have done our bit for the entente cordiale today!
latest report
pam w, keep an eye out for me next tuesday afternoon then. I'll be the one reading the instructions! wink
snow report
Quote:
I'll be the one reading the instructions!

have you had a look at the various online (including snowheads) instructions? They do help - you need to envisage the process. And the time to read the instructions is BEFORE you're in the snow at the side of the road! It's easier to have a quick practice with no snow under the car. Good luck. I rather hope you need your chains Tuesday; we'll be needing some fresh by then. Have fun. I wonder if that Frenchman told anyone that a bunch of elderly Brits in a pathetic Fiat Multipla had pulled him out of the mess he'd got himself into? Probably not.....
latest report
pam w, there's a link above to a video which I've watched loads of times and just aboiut getting the hang of it!
I'll be looking out for that Fiat!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy