Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yellow diamonds on a piste map...?

Poster: A snowHead
I was looking at the Les Arcs piste map earlier on, and noticed that some black pistes have a yellow diamond on them. Is that an indication that it's more difficult than your average black, or something completely different? I've never came across it on any other (French) piste map I've seen Confused

And on a vaguely related note, what is the black section of the Aiguille Rouge like?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It sounds like Les Arcs have followed a practice initiated (a long time ago, now) by resorts like St Anton: to regrade some black runs as 'ski routes' or 'itineraires', which means the run is unpatrolled and ungroomed (though it will normally be avalanche checked and made safe).

It's one way resorts can absolve themselves of liability for conditions and accidents, so long as the skier is clearly informed. It's more a case of 'you ski at your own risk'.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mark_s, On there piste map I was using there is a list of those pistes which are not groomed - I suspect it will be those, check the legend on the map.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mark_s, Just got back from Les Arcs and they are ungroomed runs. Not necassarily the most difficult runs but they won't be bashed, so expect moguls. Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is a similar run at Baqueira, you wonder where you are heading off to but its worth it especially in great powder. If it makes the heart skip a beat then you know its doing you some good.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ther a re several famous ones in Verbier - great fun for the uninitiated Skullie
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The black section on the AG seems very short (the very first bit is prob the steepest). The ungroomed runs heading off it are great fun, have less people on them and if you stop and check out the terrain ahead before committing to it nice and safe. The easy way I found to do the Robert Blanc run is to go slighty past the steeper start and then cut in on a leftward slant.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds like they are something I should definitely avoid then! Thanks everyone Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The majority of the more demanding skiing at Les Arcs is on the Aiguille Rouge - blacks on the near side, off piste off the back, and the famous Villaroger run down the spine (not-too-hard black with most vertical anywhere (2,100m !!!)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Goldsmith wrote:
It sounds like Les Arcs have followed a practice initiated (a long time ago, now) by resorts like St Anton: to regrade some black runs as 'ski routes' or 'itineraires', which means the run is unpatrolled and ungroomed (though it will normally be avalanche checked and made safe).

That is not always the case at St Anton... routes like 33 (Madloch-Zug), 13 at Stuben (Albonagrat), and 15 (Schindlerkar Steilhang) are groomed just about every night. Not much difference between them and any other piste.

The StA trail map does however show Extreme Ski Routes and High-Alpine Touring runs, neither of which are ever groomed - to the best of my knowledge.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball, Don't forget for the not so confident skier you can always go up the Lanchettes chairlift in Arc 2000 and do some of the Agille Rouge, also this route has some blues that allow you to by pass the red in parts. snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thefatcontroller, I agree... do the first part in Red, then switch to Black(ish). Fantastic ski down. Nothing anyone feeling confident on reds should worry about. Saying that there is a full black out on the right edge of the resort (not far from L P) that must be one of the easiest blacks in the Alps.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarpa, Its called 'ecureuils' and I took my 7 year old who has only skied for 3 weeks down it last week. Admittledly I had misjudged the situation and it was sheet ice but he did do it, he nearly solied his pants but he did do it Laughing Laughing Laughing Its a very nice wink black
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thefatcontroller, I saw a mate (approx 2-3 week skier) slide down the first steep part then do the rest in style. Great safe fun. Plus it's a long'un.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thefatcontroller, Scarpa, that's good info - a black to get the confidence up .... on the other hand, i have less than fond memories of being brought down an icy cretes and even icier fond blanc as a 3rd weeker - confidence took a fair bashing - how is ecrueils compared with bosses ?(another easy black iirc)
ski holidays
doogo, Bosses has a sign at the top warning that it is very steep Confused but we did it twice last week and it was groomed and fine.
snow report
There is some fantastic off piste but most of it needs a guide as some of it is very steep, and most is not near any piste
snow conditions
We skied the 2a run in Engelberg earlier this month thinking it was an itineray as it was a dotted red run. On further examination of the piste map we found out it wasn't a run at all Shocked and it was to be the route of a future downhill run
snow report
Some very useful info here Smile. I want to ski the Aiguille Rouge in its entirety at least once before I leave just because it looks like fun. Are there any other 'easy blacks'/equivilant that I should be aware of like ecureuils/bosses (preferably which aren't famed for moguls rolling eyes)? And what are droset/muguet/comborciere like, and can you get to the comborciere chair from the bottom of droset (the piste map isn't totally clear about that)?

(Can you tell I'm getting excited? Smile)
ski holidays
mark_s, from memory comborciere is a really good black but mogully is certainly what it is and for the last half of it you have the ski lift directly above you so you have a crowd watching you come down with .... great style and elegance of course! Bosses is straightforward in decent snow and it sounds as if ecrueils is even more akin to a red than a black ... aiguille rouge - tricky at the top but after that, a fantastic run and sooo long - feels like an achievement when you get to the bottom in villaroger - go for it
ski holidays
After the glacier, is the Aiguille Rouge black pretty straight forward?

Tux
latest report
tuxpoo, Yes....it is downhill all the way wink

You can also bail out half way down and follow a blue trail through the trees to come out at the same point in Villaroger....in time for a well earned Mutzig at Le Ferme before taking the lifts back up into 2000
snow report
Think I'll be avoiding comborciere then! I remember taking the 'la casse...' chair in Serre Che and watching some French dude have a spectacular accident on the piste below, so it's not something I want to experience myself Smile
snow report
mark_s, Did comborciere last week and it was great. Would recommend you have a crack at it. In Les Arcs it was highlight of week,
latest report
mark_s, mrsfatcontroller half way down comborciere last week snowHead
ski holidays
That doesn't look too bad. I had visions of it being very steep, very icy and very bumpy Shocked
Have you any idea what Droset is like?
snow report
mark_s, it's not particularly steep for a black, but it's narrow in sections and therefore can get icy and bumpy.
ski holidays
Hmmm. I guess I've just found myself a challenge Smile
Thanks everyone...hopefully in 60 hours time I'll be finding out for myself Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmmm. Makes me feel rather better about my skiing seeing that they've reclassified L'Ours as a yellow diamond - I made the mistake of hitting that on the morning of day one once. It really hurt. Mark - Unless this is the third trip of the year I'd respectfully suggest you have a warm up day before diamond mining.

Bosses is really nice in good snow, the bottom section is kind of halfpipey and there's only one really steep pitch - I took a friend down it on snowblades by mistake a few years back. He looked a bit surprised to reach the bottom intact as it turned out to be his first stab at a black run, but if he could do it on those things...

Scanning back, I realize now that this post does not say a great deal for my navigational expertise Embarassed Incidentally, he was on the snowblades, not me. I do have some standards.
snow report
Cunners, these are more targets to have completed by the end of the week. I had a quick look (2 hours of staring) at the piste map and was just wondering what the 'interesting'-looking things are like. I'm definitely not trying to diamond-mine - I despise moguls with a passion (something to do with not being able to ski them with any elegance whatsoever). Just looking for some non-bumpy challenges to break up what could be a week spent mostly in the park and cruising around following other people
latest report
mark_s, the black from Grand Col (Refuge) is a terrific run when it has been pisted, a good, steep pitch most of the way down, no nasty chambers and very wide. Keep an eye out to see if the bumps have been flattened (normally they are big) and head for it as soon as you see it has been prepared.
ski holidays
rob@rar, We did Grand Col last week and the moguls were enormous Shocked . mrsfatcontroller required a coffee and large slug of genepe after in Transarc to recover Toofy Grin

Another nice red which never seems to crop up is 'Lac' into 1950 from the blue that runs down from Arpette. Lovely run and got a half pipe type element at the bottom end
snow report
rob@rar, you comment that Droset isn't that particualrily steep. We saw it for the first time getting the very, very slow Pre-Saint Esprit chair up out of Comborciere and it looked terrifying Confused especially the bit over the road tunnel (I though this was a golf driving range at first rolling eyes ). Isn't as bad as it looks then Confused snowHead
snow report
thefatcontroller, I suppose 'steep' is a relative term Wink The road tunnel is to protect the road from avalanches. The golf driving range is just above Arc 1800.
snow conditions
rob@rar, I like the word relative wink Laughing
snow report
thefatcontroller, Y'all from Alabama? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Scarpa, Norfolk or Bala Toofy Grin
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
mark_s, the black from Grand Col (Refuge) is a terrific run when it has been pisted, a good, steep pitch most of the way down, no nasty chambers and very wide. Keep an eye out to see if the bumps have been flattened (normally they are big) and head for it as soon as you see it has been prepared.

For a spot of clearing the head rolling eyes take the red (Grand Col) piste from the top of the Grand Col lift and after the first couple of hundred metres try cutting across sharp left across a bowl (off piste), more or less keeping level. Just a few hundred metres away the terrain starts to steepen and opens out into the valley across to La Grande Motte. Sit down, relax, out of sight and noise from the crowds. Beautiful scenery and views - and dead quiet and peaceful. You can easily ski back to pick up the piste again. Aaaaahhh! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Craghopper, that's one of my favourite parts of the domain. Spent a happy afternoon there last week getting fresh tracks time after time down both the gullies. Wonderful!
snow conditions
If you can be bothered...what order, by difficulty, would you put the black pistes in Les arcs into? - maybe you'd need to assume all in similar snow condition and list separately groomed or mogulled....I'm out there with the family at Easter and would be really interested to get an idea of the relative difficulty snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy