Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Poles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I read that we should all be using shorter ski poles nowadays (for the life of me I can't remember where I read this).

I was always told to work out the length of pole required you turn the pole upside down and hold it by the section that would be under the basket if the right way around.

So how do you work out the pole length suitable for yourself nowadays?

Am I skiing with poles that are too long?

Or is this just a pile pants and I should stick to the same length poles as always?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hold it upside-down with your hand under the basket. When the pole's touching the floor, your forearm should be parallel to the ground.

This should be good enough for general use. I understand that you should use a shorter pole for bumps, but I don't do those. At least not when I have a choice!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NickB, That's what I've always been told but this article (or post really can't remeber where I read it now) stated that it is no longer the case - modern skiing requires shorter poles.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
One tip I was given was to ensure that you adopt a skiing stance before doing the hand underneath the basket test. Since this is the position you will be using the poles in it will give you a better idea on the correct length. I shortened by pole ( Shocked ) by 5cm as a result of this and have to admit it does feel more comfortable
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BGA, i'm down 10 cms (to 115cm) compared to the common way to measure a pole ...

Body works with levers, the short pole helps me stay on the front of my skis more easily.

On flat stuff I usually skate+pole like modern langlauf technique, so am not bothered by the short poles...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have to say that the length of poles do effect my skiing quite considerably. My old poles were 5 cm up from parallel before one snapped and my new poles are 5 cm less than parallel- wanted to get one in between but couldn't find a decent design! I still haven't quite got used to the new poles yet and am considering changing them for one 5 cm taller since I think I'm putting too much unecessary strain on my shoulders by reaching down too much when I plant.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ok, so it's hand UNDER the basket (not been told that before!), and a skiing stance sounds sensible - assume you mean to do this with ski boots on?

Is there a difference in recommended length for the novice skier?

I had my first lessons at Xscape where I was devastated NOT to get poles at first - I wondered how I'd ever manage to stay upright without "sticks". Then, in the level 4 lesson they gave me poles and I wondered how on earth to cope with holding them as well as skiing ...........!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It would seem logical that this measurement is taken with ski boots on and clicked into ski bindings or is that too obvious ?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And measure wearing thin ski socks Twisted Evil
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Butterfly, My kids drove me nuts at ski school because they didn't get ski poles until half way through their 2nd ski course. I kept getting cries of 'mummy can you please push/pull me.....' 'cos they kept getting stranded:lol:
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy