Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

holidayloverxx's day trip to Les Arcs - REPORT

Poster: A snowHead
HLXXX early April I think but they had a few variations

http://holidays.lastminute.com/

They have one for Feb 21st for £250 Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 28-01-08 13:41; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
holidayloverxx, excellent report and what a great ski day trip. Smile

rayscoops, www.skiweekends.com is another co. that does the coach from london Thurs pm to Mon am. We have done it twice and it's not too bad if you don't mind coach travel. They go throught the tunnel overnight to meribel. The hotel in Bride le Bain is a bit basic and a there's a bit of a scrum for the shower room before coming back on the Sunday pm. But hey it's the 3v for a w/e. Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
WayneC, same hotel i think
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cymru am Byth, during working hours the same location as you:))) = Evgenia
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Resurrecting an old thread,

Does anyone know when the Lastminute eurostar offer became available last year, and under what heading it could be found?

Would like to do one of those day trip if the offer comes up again..
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow! That's a seriously scary proposition, going it alone for a day on the snow.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I seem to be able to book the eurostar trip for £99, The fare condition is one night away minimum but It will let me book a friday night/saturday return...
Not sure...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kruisler, Oooh - link please - I am going to do it again for sure, plus one or two other people were interested. When I looked a couple of weeks ago it was normal prices.

when are you thinking of going? I might do it twice Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx,

False alarm it seems.
I used:
http://www.directrail.com/eurostar_bourg_st_maurice.html
This does not take year into account so when I asked for 9/10 January it sent me there:
http://www.raileurope.co.uk/Default.aspx?tabid=36
where I entered the correct dates, i.e. 9/10 january in 2009. .

The fare £49.50 was offered on each leg, on the condition that there was one night away minimum. Although this condition contradicts the dates at first it seemed to accept the booking then it refused once I entered my name..So I tried with return on 11/01/09 to see if date was the issue, and it refused the booking point blank..
Finally tried again on the 9/10 Jan 09..now the minimum fare is £64.50 and it still refuses to book...
So god knows...

When did you buy your ticket last year?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kruisler, from Lastminute.com - it was an offer that was running the week of the ski show (it has run for the past 2 years). I have made a diary note for October to check when the ski show is on.

keep the thread alive if you get anymore info and I'll do the same.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx, Why the hiring skis and not taking them? Just less to carry till you're on the piste?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Old thread resurrected (sorry!)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
londonbg, a blast from the past - an inspiring story which was discussed recently when somebody was looking at doing a similar trip. There's no way I'd carry skis all that way to save the cost of a day's hire.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Am planning on doing the same trip imminently (hence the searching on the subject). Very helpful post.

I only live one stop on the tube from Kings Cross St Pancras so am conflicted regarding the skis!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just read your report. Funny thing is I made the exact same mistake with taking the long way round to the funicular! It's quite the trek in ski boots.

I admire your ability to do the overnight train there and back. I have a complete inability to sleep on trains and planes. Mine was a slightly different day trip in that I travelled to and from Paris and stayed overnight. The 12 hour round trip was exhausting enough!

The funicular makes Les Arcs the perfect location for such a short trip and like you I was pleasantly surprised with the resort and the varied skiing on offer.
snow conditions
Wow - was it really so long ago!

londonbg, I didn't take skis the second time because I live in Chelmsford so the trek for me for the first trip with skis, boots and ski gear in a coffin bag was:

Home to Chelmsford railway station
London Railway Station to tube
Tube to office to work
Office to bus at the end of Friday
Bus to St Pancras

So, it was was a bit of a palaver. The second trip I took a pillow instead!
snow conditions
Love the report, so helpful as I'm hoping to make the exact same trip to Les Arcs via Eurostar on 28th March (catered chalet for 7 nights INCLUDING lift pass for £551 - if anyone is interested in joining, give me a shout, I'm planning to get a group together!) Smile
ski holidays
holidayloverxx,
Cool!

I haven't had a chance to read your full report or the replies, but I so wished I lived down South just to do that! Guess I will have to make do with the Coe.

Ps I love Fernie!

Gilly
latest report
Lol I should have read the replies and then I may have realised original post was from back in 08! Doh!
snow report
Gilly28, does'nt matter mate. a lot still holds good now Very Happy
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, I know, so how,did you,like Fernie?
snow report
Gilly28, loved it. Off to Sun Peaks in a few hours
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, Great report! Smile
latest report
Bumped again as I've just booked my tickets to do the same in February. £115 return and 50 euro for a lift pass. No other skiing planned this year so I am now like a little child!
latest report
@Pezza26, if you haven't already booked your lift pass, I suggest signing up to samedijeskie.com. Print out the voucher on the Wednesday before you travel, and you will get your Saturday pass for €29 - inc. funicular up and down. Cash it at the ticket office at the foot of the funi.
ski holidays
@Pezza26, How did you get the return so cheap? I have searched loads of different dates on the the Eurostar and can't get close to that price
ski holidays
Also - there is now a lift from the over-platform bridge to the funicular station. OK, you still have to lug up one set of stairs (from platform to bridge) but it's a help!
snow report
@Arctic Roll, Thanks for that but I've already booked and paid. They arrived in the post yesterday! Thanks for the info on the bridge.

@chrisrawles, Have a look on lastminute.com. They have one day specials available on a few dates. If you go to the Eurostar website for the same dates, the prices are more like £150 each way.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@holidayloverxx, It may be an old thread but it sounds like you have put most of us to shame with this level of commitment. Great post. If I could negotiate a few more free weekends I would love to attempt this. Managed to get a 'lads' week in Val D so pushing for another weekend may be asking a bit much.
snow report
Holy thread bump!
snow report
@holidayloverxx, I thought it was needed as I will be following in your footsteps!
snow conditions
Wow! How brave to go on your own. Please post if you plan to do this again next year - I may be up for it. I'm only 20 mins from Ashford, so would join the train there.

Oh, and no need for a corkscrew if you buy M&S's wine by the (plastic) glass - they were selling them last time I took a train from St Pancras. Their Pina Colada in a can is pretty good too! Little Angel
latest report
I had a thread related to this a few weeks back - mine is booked (taking 8 year old daughter too!) and I cannot wait! For the cost of three x two hour lessons at Hemel with probably only 5-10 minutes at most of that time actually spent moving across snow, I can spend all day on the piste including lift pass, ski hire and of course travel.

We won't talk about how I might feel on the Sunday, however..
snow report
@FionaG, I won't be doing it again..since then I have bought an apartment in Austria!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy