Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prices/cheaper places to go... Please help!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hai there all!

Me and my brother are hoping to go on a skiing holiday, February of next year, as we vowed we would have a holiday together before i go off to Uni!

We will probably be inviting a friend or two each, and taking my cousin along aswell.

Our intentions are to go the week before half term February 2009 and the ages of everyone going, at the time of travel, will be 17 - 19 years.

We have each been twice and both are quite confident for the amount of skiing we have done: two weeks worth. I did a few black slopes from the 2nd day of my 2nd week, and i'm pretty sure he's done some black slopes too. The others that may go have also been at least once before. So, obviously, we don't need a resort with stupidly difficult slopes... !

Cheap is best and preferably somewhere that has some nightlife aswell!

I'd like some advice, please, on:

*Places to go that have a bit of nightlife and also where the cheapest skiing/accomodation is
*How much ski passes generally cost for a week
*How do you sort the hire of equipment
*Whether buying cheap flights, accomodation, ski passes and hiring equipment all separately is better (you can get better deals) or going for a package thing works out about the same

I think that's all for now... I look forward to reading your replies!

TIA.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go to Tignes and we'll show you where the best night life is. Wink

Ski pass here is €202.50 for 6 days I think.

Hire equip. can be sorted online before you go for cheap. Or you can hire in resort. Although if you plan to ski for a few more years I'd consider investing in your own stuff. Cheap deals can easily be found on ebay.

Last minute deals will be cheaper than sorting everything out seperately, but you won't have the freedom of choosing exactly which resort you want to end up in.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd recommend Saalbach Hinterglemm in Austria. Fantastic, cheesy Austrian apres ski, some great value accommodation and perfect skiing for your abilities. I think a 6 day ski pass is around 180 Euros. You can get budget flights into Salzburg and the transfer is short too. Snow shouldnt be a problem mid-February, and even if it is they have a hugely extensive snow cannon system and north facing slopes. They also have one of the most modern lift infrastructures in Austria.

Check out their website here

Mayrhofen is similar but a little cheaper I think. Ischgl and St Anton would also fit the bill but are slightly more expensive.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DisastaImminent, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Good idea to plan in advance! Don't forget to factor in school holidays other than the British ones; the French school holidays are over 4 weeks, from the second week in Feb to the second week in March. There's a thread on school holiday dates. There is also the "Fasching" holiday in Austria, which I think changes, as it is linked to Lent/Easter. You've plenty of time to do that research. If you choose a low season week you could probably get some really good last minute deals, and there are plenty of resorts which would suit your group well, you can afford to be flexible.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank-you for your help so far! Really gives me some stuff to look into and base our ideas on! Are we thinking that last minute may be better then? We would be flexible by about 7 days & we're not too worried about the slopes (As long as the resort doesn't consist of only a couple of blue runs! We're not exactly ski-boffs!). Picked up some brochures today just to get an idea of prices out of those - would obviously hope to get something cheaper than what the brochures say! I'd like to buy ski-gear - i'm sure it'll be used again - it's just that at that this moment in time, i don't have the money to buy, only to hire, and i'm going to be a broke Uni student for about 5 or 6 years as i want to do Law and then the BVC! So, therefore, i won't get much chance to use my equipment! Also, i'm only 18 and only 5ft at the moment... So i may grow out of my ski's... One can hope... But i doubt it! The same goes for my brother (about being a Uni student soon... He has been blessed with more height than me!).

Can someone give me an idea of a cheap ski pass and an expensive ski-pass and where these would be?

Also what the cheapest 7-day ski holiday is that people have come across (including flights, accomodation, transfers, ski-pass and equipment hire - boots and skis.)?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DisastaImminent, lift prices vary enormously. There is a thread here which lists the cost of an adults 6 day pass http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=748997#748997
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi, I booked a 7 day trip to Les Deux Alpes flying from Edinburgh for £199. Have to say this was booked less than two weeks in advance and the waiting was pretty stressful. Lift passes will be about 170 euros and ski hire about 65 euro - around £180 Catered chalet includes breakfast dinner and afternoon tea so we will need a bit of extra cash for sandwichs at lunch time. Often the chalet will let you use the left over bread to take sandwichs up the mountain. So we are paying £380 upfront but will need some spending money. I think that's about as cheap as you'll get a package. If you do wait to go last minute then it will probably be harder to get a catered chalet but you will have an advantage for self catering as there will be enough of you to satisfy minimum occupancy. When there's only 2 of you this tends to double to holiday costs.

I'm normally too knackered to enjoy apres ski so can't really advise on where's good to go. We went to la plagne last year with a mixed ability group. This skiing was good and I often see cheap deals advertised for there but from what I saw of it the nightlife was pretty tame.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy