Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time poster and skier!!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

I am hoping someone can help me - I am going ski-ing with my Husband, 13 month old daughter, sister and brother in law and their 3 year old.

We have never been ski-ing before and only booked this for a birthday present for my husband as it is something he has always wanted to do.

The thing is i am really really nervous about going! Confused I know it sounds silly but i am petrified of breaking my arm or leg, or one of the kids hurting themselves! (I know that no-one can give guarentees that this isn't going to happen!!)

We are going to Borovets, Bulgaria and i guess i am after some general information about what to expect from the whole ski-ing experience!(a bit general i know but i really have no idea of what to expect! in fact the only thing i know is that it will be cold and slippy!!!) Laughing

We have all pre-booked ski lessons (girls in the morning and men in the afternoon so childcare is sorted) so i have resigned myself to the fact I will have to bite my lip and stand on two planks and go hurtling down a big snowy hill!!! aaarrrggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance of any help and/or advice!

Kath x
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kath_T, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

We first went skiing about 6 years ago, and get completely addicted - so much so that when we driving back from the airport on the way home we swore we wouldn't book another skiing holiday for at least a week - we booked our second one on the Tuesday! This despite the fact we'd be variously wet, far too hot, in pain or scared through the week. My personal, and probably inaccurate view, is that you're unlikely to injure yourself in the first week - you never really get up enough speed if you're in a competantly run ski class. In fact, I think I'm currently most likely to be injured falling down the slippy stairs to the toilet in a mountain restaurant or being hit by someone skiing out of control.

My guess is you'll either take to it, or you won't.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kath_T, welcome to snowHeads - lessons are the key.

A good instructor will give you confidence and they will only take you on hills which they think are suitable for you / your group

Overall - think fun fun fun ! and you'll have a great time.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kath_T, Welcome to snowheads snowHead

Don't worry, you will start on a very gentle slope, just try to relax and enjoy yourself Very Happy

snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kath_T -- Welcome.

Skiing is like Pringles. Once you pop, you can't stop.

As above, be sure to take lessons. Every day.

Don't be timid.

Enjoy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't worry, my first weeks skiing was one of total panic, paranoia and wondering what on earth I was doing. But eventually being out in those gorgeous mountains and having a great time won over and 10 years later I am still in total panic and paranoid that I will hurt myself but I absolutely love it Very Happy Very Happy and I haven't hurt myself once (I broke my foot this summer falling off the caravan step - and I was sober Laughing )
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hiya Kath_T, welcome to snowheads snowHead

You'll have a blast, relax, enjoy it, go at your own speed, the instructor will start you on an almost flat slope and introduce everything gradually.

A lot of people imagine skiing to be like what they've seen on TV ie. ski-racing down some near-vertical piste at 80mph. That's like comparing going for a drive in the country with Formula 1, you can be as sedate and controlled as you like and enjoy the views and mountain air as you go.

As to injuries, I've been 9 times with friends as well and no injuries bar some aching muscles, remember snow is fairly forgiving and you're well padded (in all that skiwear, I mean) EDIT: before I get slapped Toofy Grin .

I'm pretty sure this won't be the last time you'll go, once you get the bug.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 12-01-08 18:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kath_T, welcome to Snowheads. I would echo the points above; learning to ski in a group, with a competent instructor, is a lot of fun and your plans sound very well sorted out. When are you going? You are probably pretty fit, having to look after a baby, but it wouldn't do any harm to try to do a bit of work on your leg muscles - squats, lunges etc. There are lots of suggestions on the internet, or elsewhere on Snowheads. You will have a great time. Please report back after your holiday.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kath_T, I was in a very similar position to you, except I was very much older and it was something my wife always wanted to do. 11 years on and I am an addict! We went to Bulgaria at first too and it was a good choice. The good things are that the instructors really look after you and learning with a group is huge fun. The downside to Bulgaria (some time ago admittedly) were TERRIBLE toilets and big queues for the lifts, but we have to go main weeks. Some people hate the food too, but we will eat anything.

I think you wil have a huge amount of fun and I am sure we snowHeads wil be delighted to give you every necessary bit of advice and encouragement.

snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Might be an idea to have a couple of lessons on an indoor slope here before you leave. Will make a big difference and give you confidence and save you arriving as a complete beginner. Have a wonderful time and I'd be surprised if you don't all get hooked - a wonderful but expensive addiction!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
All of the above. You're about to start sliding for fun and your body will take some time to adjust to the sensation. In that sense it's just like ice skatingonly much more stable. Don't fight it, go with it and get used to it. Don't panic at the first bit of speed, use all the space you have, just trust your skis and your instructor and you'll be amazed at how much quicker you will progress if you're not afraid of moving.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kath_T, You will either love it or hate it, there is usually no in between. The problems start when you love it and your husband does not or the other way around. Best of luck.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kath_T, Welcome to snowHead i had my first skiing holiday almost 2 yrs ago and have now notched up 3 and a bit weeks! I too was nervous (no terrified Shocked ) the first day, in fact I didn't sleep all night and spent all morning in the bathroom!! but it was brilliant! i am still nervous but I love it!! rescue remedy helps!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kath_T, give it a chance too... I was within a hairs breadth of backing it all on the 3rd day. Boots hurt, was cold, couldn't master snowplough etc etc, but stuck with and next day (sunny) suddenly got a bit easier....

That was 20 years ago and I've got 1000's of ski miles under the planks - and spent 1000's of £ Confused and had some (if not most) of the best times of my life...
the thrill of skiing itself, the majesty of the mountains, and the cracking apres-ski laughs - all priceless Very Happy snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Welcome,

I was slightly nervous before my first ever lesson. But i loved it.

As long as you have a good instrcutor, you should never be scared as a complete begginer.

I advise you take lessons at a dry slope beforehand. It will help you all enjoy your holiday much more, you will learn all the basics like putting on boots. You will also progress much quicker when on holiday and give you a lot of confidence.

Just to reitterate, you shouldn't injure yourself as a begginer. But there are no assurances that accidents wont occur.
snow conditions
To set some expectations, I can tell you what my first time was like (keep it clean)
- was nervous and reckoned I'd be rubbish as I have never been good at sliding, skating, skateboarding or any of that
- arrived in resort to see people scorching down the slope into town and wondering if I would ever be able to do that
BUT....
- it took me 3 days to fall over.....when I did it really didn't hurt
- i was happily skiing easy reds by the end of the week and enjoying that run into town
- I was completely hooked and I very much hope that I always will be

I envy beginners......you will never again enjoy that sense of trepidation mixed with discovery and then the sudden, fantastic realisation that skiing is easier and more rewarding than you ever expected.

relax and enjoy it.
snow report
As gollancz says, falling over isn't so bad - Mrs Hoppo did it repeatedly during her first week. I, on the otherhand, went through many contortions to avoid falling over and did manage to sprain myself a little bit by doing this.
ski holidays
Hi all

Thanks very much for all your help and your advice, will try my very hardest to remember what you have all said whilst trying to master the art of falling over gracefully wink Very Happy !!

Will report back as soon as i get back home (unless you were all fibbing and i have numerous broken bones!!)

Thanks again

i'm off to use my stepper now in preperation...........
snow conditions
I remember it well, it was so much fun learning, don't be afraid it really is fun, just fall over with the rest of them and laugh about it, you will look back and wonder what it was all about, then you will be hooked.
Toofy Grin

I've never looked back, nor will you. snowHead
ski holidays
Just one little bit of advice which someone gave me and was very useful: if your boots are really hurting, take them back to the hire shop and swop them. They should not be so painful that they stop you skiing. Don't worry about going back two or three times. Also if you find you get some acute pain either on your foot or your shin, pull your socks up !! It's surprising how a small crease in your socks can hurt.
Other that I'm sure you will have loads of fun.
snow report
Kath,

I went last year for the first time, supposed to be an 'adventurous holiday' for my wife and I and a couple of friends...something that none of us had tried before.
Our friends chickened out last minute, so we went alone. We were both nervous, to say the least, but we had the best time imaginable!
You, your husband, your child, and your friends will be introduced gently to the most wonderful experience.
You are all going to fall a lot, but it's not like ski sunday! your 'falls' will be more a case of sitting down...not painful at all and not even embarrassing, because all of your class is doing the same. Before you know it you'll be screaming, to yourself and the world in general, "I'm skiing!!" as you glide gracefuly down the nursery slope.
Two days after you get back to England, you'll be planning next year's trip.
Believe me.
Welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
My advice for a group of first timers, with kids would be to be super organised about having all your kit, knowing where to go and where to meet etc... Gloves, goggles, etc.. make all the difference and when you're not used to walking in ski boots and lugging all that stuff around, the last thing you want to have to do is be in a rush to get to lessons, realise you've forgotten bits, not know where you're going etc... A small rucksack with all the bits inside will be useful so you're not dropping stuff as you go along, on the way to your first lesson.

You'll have a great time and don't be disheartened if it all seems like hard work at first - you soon get organised and once you've started to learn to ski you'll love it as much as the rest of us!
ski holidays
kath_T wrote:
Hi all

Thanks very much for all your help and your advice, will try my very hardest to remember what you have all said whilst trying to master the art of falling over gracefully wink Very Happy !!

Yes, falling is important.

Particularly at beginner level, if you are on the point of falling let it happen. The snow is soft and forgiving, but attempting to avoid a fall is likley to put more stress on knees and legs than just taking it, particularly at low speed.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy