Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shock horror ... Yoda can ski powder!

Poster: A snowHead
Heh all,

I am currently on my last day in Klosters and spent the first 4 dyas on an off-piste Eagle's ski tour run by guide John Hogg. On of the fellow members of this group, identified by his Snowheads bobble hat, was Yoda .....

The trip was fattie and some great touring and off piste sking throughout the area. The weather was perfect with non stop snow for the first 2 days before a further 4 of sun. I recommend all; the tour, guide and region also Yoda can make some controlled deep powder turns which was more than I could manage with my flailing back lean style!

It looks also as if snow will arrive again over the weekend so any visitors for next week should be in for a treat.

Woooooooooooo !!!!

ps touring rocks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why are you surprised.... he has the Force..!!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
plectrum wrote:
The trip was fattie...
oh dear... or is it oh good?

reminds me of the old joke...
naive country granny says proudly: "my grandsons only 14 but he's shooting up"
streetwise scouse granny "The silly little sh**e, a smackhead at his age!..."
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
red 27, Yes fattie is good ... very good, best early Jan conditions I've ever experienced.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just keep him away from any fences Laughing *sorry green pointy eared source of wisdom*
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sounds like a good trip!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno, It was fun, not enough Touring and because I was on holiday with my friends I had to leave the group after Day 4 so I guess 5&6 would have been pretty stellar too. It was though just what I needed and reminded me how much an amateur I am off -piste. My skiing has definately improved and bad techniques and habits were pointed out so it was a step backwards for 2 steps forward.

The guide John Hogg and his assistant Bruno ? from the Klosters Ski School were both great very attentive to the whole group making sure everyone imporved and had fun.

Lunch food was always tasty and appreciated especially the local soups of Goulash or Pearl Barley and Bacon ... Yum.

Now I am back in London I am fast re-arranging my debt so that I can go on a further trip with John Hogg touring the Silvretta Alps in April.

Incidently Arno, this means I will not be able to come with you around Oisans due to cash and time, sorry but the lure of Swiss/Austian border and the summit of Piz Buin is too much!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
plectrum, no worries. Never been myself but everyone says the Silvretta is a great place for hut-to-hut touring.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno, I've looked at loads of reports and pics from other peoples tours and it looks epic.

FYI I skiied both Fritschi Freeride and Naxo NX21 the former on B3 hire skis and the latter on my Shuksans and I preffered luckily mine! Also I saw the Fritschi hit into freeheel mode accidentely on 3 occations and 1 was on the guides skis. The reason was not due to aggressive skiing but because the powder was wet and heavy which pushed the bindings into free heel.

It still amazes me that Fritschi release products that can so easily do this and that they are so popular. The ratio of Fritschi to Naxo or Dynafit in the resort was 300 to 1 ... rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
interesting... fritschi were the first to do a step-in touring binding which also has DIN release so you may argue that they are living off the back of that. and Naxo's first effort really did suck so although they may now be getting it right they're still in the position of trying to catch up with someone who is by miles the market leader
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno, The hire shop claimed that on teh earlier models of Naxo i.e. even 06/07 versions after soem useage ther become a certain up & down sloppyness around the toe piece. Whether this will develop on the new 07/08 models and whether it can be fixed when it does remains to be seen. Sayign this I read reports that Fritschi also develop some sloppiness after long term use and I guess with any product containign moving hinged parts this is expected.

More worringly for Naxo is that the hire shop which is probably the best in Klosters and maybe Davos too for Touring equipment will no longer mount Naxo on new skis becuase the clients do not have faith in it.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
plectrum, the story which really put me off the NX01 was that they are hopeless for sidehill skinning. there was someone in another group when i was in the ecrins last year who had hired skis with NX01s and after a couple of days the heel piece had developed inches (yes inches) of play in touring mode. the conditions were pretty punishing for this sort of thing - steep skinning so lots of traverses on hard snow = large amounts of torque. but this isn't a problem for dynafits and hasn't been a problem for fritschis in my experience

NX21s do look much more solid than this though

anyway, if you think touring bindings have their flaws nowadays, you should check out some earlier ones
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
plectrum, very kind of you to be so complimentary, but I'm definitely a powder skier of the "improving" variety Laughing

Still, we did get some nice turns in

although of course they have to be earned

Anyway, this is a sure-fire recipe for a major head plant on the next run so I shall take the Swiss advice as posted here

Nice to meet with you, hope you enjoyed your last two days snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yoda, What did you get up to on the Thursday and Friday? I think I am pretty sold on the idea of Silvretta in April with John just looks too epic to deny!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
plectrum, on Thursday my group were with John, but I can't remember where we went I'm afraid Toofy Grin However Willy, Chris and I did the final run of the day which involved a couple of powder pitches, a few gullies with crust one side and powder the other and then lots of trees in 30 minutes top to bottom Cool . No dawdling was allowed Shocked

On Friday the whole group skinned up in the morning for a lovely couple of runs before another superb lunch, followed by a short (20 min) skin up in the afternoon for the last run of the week. Unfortunately the southern foehn had really started to blow and what should have been a nice powder run down was wind slab all the way, which slowed things down a bit so we arrived in Kublis after dark. Needless to say John wasn't too happy with that, but we just shrugged it off as an "adventure" (athough if someone had hurt themselves on the way down it would have been a different story rolling eyes )
ski holidays
Nice one, Yoda. Real 'spirit of skiing' stuff there.
latest report
Yoda, plectrum, sorry not to meet up in the end. Time flew by... Saas Ski School guides/instructors very good but not good enough to improve my crap off-piste abilities. I need to take more lessons, lots more.

There was a huge dump of snow on Saturday, so my second week skiing on piste with friends and doing a bit of off-piste with the Ski Club rep one day, was sheer bliss. Great trip report plectrum, saved me having to bother!
snow report
Hurtle, I'd forgotten that you were staying for another week so was wondering what had happened to you Embarassed Glad you got back OK - yes it was snowing heavily on the Saturday as I drove back to Zurich, nice for those left behind snowHead
As for meeting up - well it's the usual "why didn't you send a postcard" excuse Laughing But I did ask the SC person who popped into our hotel to pass on my regards, I hope that she did so rolling eyes
Off to Austria on Saturday so hope the snow is still there.....
latest report
Yoda,
Quote:

But I did ask the SC person who popped into our hotel to pass on my regards, I hope that she did so

Thank you, yes she did indeed, at least when she managed to find the time after showing us exactly where she'd been that day (GPS carried, route plotted on to laptop in time for dinner) and recounted all her deeds of derring-do over the years. rolling eyes

Have a great time in Austria. I've got to wait until March now, for a week in Verbier.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy