Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton

Poster: A snowHead
Hey I'm a second timer heading to St Anton in Feb! Should I be worried? Embarassed
I can ski Blue and was well to handle reds (and part of a black Smile ) at the end of my week last year.
Anyone have any advice on where the best place to ski for my level?

I'm going with a gang of friends who are more experienced, and I intend to get some private lessons the first couple of days.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rendl
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hop on the bus upto lech - great easy cruising blues/reds.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No st anton is fine, I found that the blacks there were sometimes like reds elsewhere. It has some difficult stuff, but will probably be perfect.
Dont forget to cruze down to the mooserwirt bar and find everyone else or the krazy kagaru, if you want a younger crowd..
Its quite scary to see people trying to ski to the bottom when they can hardly walk after a session here. In the DARK too Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Avoid the black Kandahar run back to St Anton - it is steep, gets mogulled and very crowded. Make sure you return via Happy Valley instead where you can still access the Mooserwirt. You can always walk home on the road. St Anton is not for beginners. The runs to St Christoph are fine though and Rendl. Get some private lessons and you will advance fast. Go to Lech for some great flattering skiing.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If there's a snowfall during your stay, don't bet on it being bashed. Turns nice blues into tricky terrain.

It's not the resort for corduroy Razz

Mooserwirt is a must Twisted Evil

Enjoy,
Chris.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skilegs, when the black has bumps it is a tad tricky, and shaded in the afternoon ...... many a first weeker has come a cropper when heading down at the end of the day and it is best to avoid it if in any doubt Very Happy Gampen area did not seem too bad Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the tips lads. Great help.

I cant wait to get over there now - Mooserwirt via Happy Valley . . . here I come Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just come & enjoy Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GAmpen area, lech , runs down o st christoph, rendl will give you some options. had a friend learnt to ski there as long as you are confident don't think you will have too much of a problem there are resorts that are more flaterring . get yourself in to a good ski school
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Few if any easy cruising blues, but everything else is there. You'll enjoy it, I'm sure. Good atmos.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 14-01-08 11:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi I went to St Anton over New Year, so hit it at its busiest - I used the forum to ask some questions beforehand but I am in a similar position to Jack E. I had 3 days with St Anton ski school in a small group and we tackled some of the blues - Rendl is a good starting point actually and the blue down to St Christoph is really nice apart from a wee steep, narrow bit at the top.

The thing I found was that the blues here were harder than any other blues I have done!! Also the blue down to the village gets very icy and chopped up by the end of the day - my instructor told me to avoid it, but that may be a reflection mainly of my skiing ability and confidence level.

In short I found plenty of skiing to keep me occupied and challenged, the ski instruction was excellent and the town itself very nice. If you want a break from skiing take an afternoon at the Arlberg Well (the pool & spa complex) - I did this on my last afternoon while my husband went off to ski like a madman. It was really cool, in all senses of the word, to be swimming outside with mountains, ski slopes and blue skies all around (air temp approx -6)

I will go back to St A but not till I can ski a bit better so that I can get the most out of the resort!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yea, I’m going to get some lessons. I prefer to get private lessons for a few days as I feel I benefit more from them and have more time to put what I’ve learned to good use. We’re staying beside the Nasserein (sp?) lift area. I see there is a ski school beside there – would this ski school be an ok starting point to get the lessons or should I go to one of the areas mentioned above (with easier skiing) and organise lessons from there.
Thanks again for all the replys. It means I won’t have to waste valuable ski time sussing the place out!

Purplegirl - Thanks for the tip, Arlberg Well looks to be the perfect place to fix the aches and pains after a day on the slopes
Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jack E, I'd go for the most convenient school (unless someone you trust tells you that it's rubbish). I expect that the one operating from Nasserein is one of the two main schools, which seem to operate as one. Whoever they are, the instructors should take you to appropriate slopes.

Despite it's slightly hairy-arsed reputation, St Anton has skiing for everyone (except blue cruisers), although you'll get the most out of it with the confidence that comes with a bit of competence. The main runs back to town get busy at the end of the day and are a bit of a chore, but if you're heading back to Nasserein, you'll probably avoid the worst of that (or you can organise things so that you take the main Gampen lift back down into St Anton centre).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jack E, you are in a good spot there with the Gampen gondola access to a not too difficult area (Gampen) that should also get the early sun, then you can drop down to the chair lift that gives access to the Galzig area when the sun has softened things up a bit there, then head over to Rendl which gets the afternoon sun.
ski holidays
How many black runs are their in St Anton? Going there myself and getting abit worried now as Ive only been skiing twice.
snow conditions
Jack E, there's a good apres ski bar by the Nasserein Gondola, called the Fang bar.
latest report
MFC wrote:
How many black runs are their in St Anton? Going there myself and getting abit worried now as Ive only been skiing twice.

Plenty, but to mangle a line from a Warren Miller film... "There is something there for everybody; you want to get scared, there are runs that will scare you, but equally there runs for the not-so-brave.".

Best bet - get into the ski school, either Skischule Arlberg or Skischule St Anton, both are good, and have some lessons. The instructor will take you all over the place, and usually over to Lech or Zurs for one of the days, and you will get a better idea of what is good for you.
ski holidays
MFC, you can avoid the black runs, just plan your route. It is not a difficult resort particularly, it is just not ideal for complete beginners in comparison with other resorts. all resorts have their easy runs and hard runs, the entire Rendl area is ideal for skiers with 2 weeks experience, plus Gampen area is not too bad either Very Happy
latest report
MFC wrote:

Remarkably few, I thought, given it's reputation, and it isn't the case that they undergrade compared to the generality of resorts. You can get all over the area without having to ski anything grizzly, but equally there aren't many runs where you can switch off in th eknowledge that it'll be a nice cruise to the bottom. What there is are runs which whatever their colour, throw in a cheeky little surprise every now and then. Nothing terrible or unrerasonable, but it keeps you honest.

As a second timer, you'll find it demanding but not too scary (unless you choose to), I'd guess.
snow report
IMHO the only problem with inexperienced skiers going to St A (which many do for the legendary nightlife and in groups of more experienced skiers) is that they tend to stick to the same few runs out of fear due to the reputation of the place. These runs get VERY busy indeed and there can be a lot of accidents late in the day when people have had a few beers on the mountain. I would echo the advice of previous writers and head for Lech on the bus, or the Rendl area to start with. If u do ski the main mountain head for the bars at the bottom fairly early to avoid the mad rush and the crahses!
ski holidays
oh yeah, avoid skiing in the dark too Very Happy
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
oh yeah, avoid skiing in the dark too Very Happy
You'll have to leave the Mooswirt or the Kanagaroo early to do that... anyway...its half the fun... breaking your wrist on that last 800m of moguls after a skin full on the mountain!!!! Healthcare is excellent in Austria!!!
snow report
SnowGod, unless you are staying up there or you take a taxi Very Happy
snow conditions
richmond wrote:
MFC wrote:

Remarkably few, I thought, given it's reputation, and it isn't the case that they undergrade compared to the generality of resorts. You can get all over the area without having to ski anything grizzly, but equally there aren't many runs where you can switch off in th eknowledge that it'll be a nice cruise to the bottom. What there is are runs which whatever their colour, throw in a cheeky little surprise every now and then. Nothing terrible or unrerasonable, but it keeps you honest.

As a second timer, you'll find it demanding but not too scary (unless you choose to), I'd guess.

My impression last year was that there were few black runs and they were using iteniairies for the harder runs that are left to be unpisted etc. Stuben has some nice runs as well as the week progresses.
latest report
Hi

Can non-skiers/borders get to/from Mooswirt etc ?
my wife will be coming to Austria but on crutches....
snow conditions
telemarker wrote:
Hi

Can non-skiers/borders get to/from Mooswirt etc ?
my wife will be coming to Austria but on crutches....

There is a road that goes up to the Mooserwirt however the last few yards might be snow covered.

Welcome to Snowheads.
snow report
Jack E, I agree with rayscoops. You'll like Rendl. It's nice and sunny too.

Go up there reasonably early in the morning. The gondola access limits the numbers anyway, but it's a particularly sweet area before it gets too busy. There's a nice restaurant up there when you want a break.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fantastic, some great tips there.

I hope the next couple of weeks fly by now - and I can put them all to good use Laughing
latest report
I went skiing last year in Bulgaria and taking the kids this year to Bulgaria then off to St Anton so i have a poultry 2 weeks under my belt. Had afew months skiing at Kendal through work. The prob is I dont know how good the people are who are going to St Anton and how bad the runs are, sounds like a mixed bag on here though.
snow conditions
MFC wrote:
i have a poultry 2 weeks under my belt.

Frankly, I'd remove it. It can't be doing you or the chicken any good, and God knows what Jamie and Hugh would have to say.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 17-01-08 12:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
M(K)FC, with a few chickens under your belt skiing St Anton will be easy Very Happy seriously you should be fine Very Happy as long as the weather is not fowl Shocked
snow conditions
snow conditions
Done a couple of weeks in St Anton and it's fantastic, almost went this year as well!! One of the best places I've been to that has great slopes and nightlife!

If you go you should try all the areas St Anton has to offer, including down to Stuben.

But there's two thing you have to do, one is the Mooserwirt, that place is nuts, try and get there early, between 3pm and 4, get yourselves in side and up stairs and bag a table. You can put all your gear in benches and start drinking, you don't even have to go to the bar they come round with huge trays and sell you beer that way. then dance on the tables (with ski boots on!!!) to Euro Cheesey pop. At about 9pm they chuck you all out and ski back down to the town.

The other is tobogganing, it's the funniest thing I've done on snow! Head to the Nasserein Gondola, (find out what nights it's on first) take the gondola up with your toboggan. You go down a very long track with loads of hairpins, and takes about half an hour to get to the bottom. If you go early enough you could probably do it twice!
ski holidays
richmond, rayscoops, DB, Laughing Laughing Laughing you are funny geezers!
ski holidays
WE HAVE JUST COME BACK FROM ST ANTON - i can confirm that the blues are somewhat "purple" ie bordering on red !!! the reds are not mcuh harder and the off piste ski routes are easier due to lack of traffic. We are very experienced skiers (17 weeks) - we are not experts as we hit the intermediate plateau and stayed there. we found it challenging but enjoyable. as others have said rendal is less busy and less difficult. we found Zurs was excellent as the grooming was better and off piste powder superb. also it was empty compare to st anton. we stayed in nasserien and the run home was awful - cut up with big moguls. we were OK but many were finding it difficult. as for happy valley then stay away - its simply too crowded and cut up to be anything other than an endurance to get home - not the thing you need on tired legs !!!. st anton does offer more challenges than many of the cruising french resorts but you can find flat groomed pistes if thats what you want but be prepared for mogul powder mounds with hardpack / ice between them on blue runs !!!! we had a cracking holiday and i am not complaining - just painting an accurate pic for you !!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy