Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Go on, tell me I've made a big mistake & I'm going to be a laughing stock ...

Poster: A snowHead
Last year I didn't have goggles. I borrowed some for my 1st week which was a big mistake and quite put me off them. They had a rubbery frame, were old and had purple lenses complete with a graze. I felt shut in & detached from the world in them - being a nervous novice I really needed to see clearly what was around me. Someone then loaned me a spare pair of fancy ones they'd got from a ski show that looked rather more like oversized swimming goggles and which were designed to take a special pair of prescription lenses mounted inside, or worn without, using 1 of 3 clip-in coloured outer lenses & had detachable sunglasses arms or elastic strap options. The 1st time I tried them I nearly lost them as the clip keeping the elastic in wouldn't stay put - it turns out it was faulty. Again I was put off! Despite the awful conditions, I skied the rest of my time with none. For my subsequent 3 days in Tignes I used just a well-fitting cheap pair of sunglasses.

On coming home and visiting Xscape a cheapie shop was closing down (Ski Warehouse/Skiwear4less) at Cas and I decided I'd try and get a cheap pair so I could at least try skiing with some that were not scratched and wouldn't fall off next season. I found some that fitted my face comfortably and bought them (BigAir Galaxy). They said they were good basic all-weather goggles, with UV protection & mirrored light-bronze coloured double lenses that are said to be 'anti-fog'. The label said the price was £25, RRP £65 and I paid £15.

Now however, in various threads I've read, people seem to recommend more expensive ones, from the 'right' brands, and seem to own several pairs to cater for different light conditions. Are mine, as yet unworn, complete with an embarrassingly big brand name of "big air" round the back strap - a useless bargain that won't serve the purpose? Also, if I go to get a helmet, having got them first, I wonder if there's any chance the two will fit together.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Butterfly, as long as they have the relevent UV filters etc then I'm sure they'll be fine. I wore 99p sunglasses from McDonalds for the 1st three years of my skiing life. No, I wouldn't go back to them having had a pair of Oakleys, but they did the job just fine.

The only way you can tell if they are up to the job is by trying them.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I got my first pair of goggles from Blacks on the high street near my office about 2 days before my first ever skiing trip.
I'd had so many things to buy that i had forgotten goggles and had to rush out and panic buy a pair.

They were the only ones in the shop, were on display and had a minor scratch on the inside in the corner. The shop let me have them for £15. They have been great. I have had no problems with them, they saw me through 4 days of blizzard and white out conditions last year and will be coming with me this year as well.

I wouldn't worry so long as they are a) Comfortable b) have UV filters and C) don't look utterly stupid.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They look OK so if they cut out UVA&B and fit you they're a good buy.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Elizabeth B,
Quote:

I wore 99p sunglasses from McDonalds for the 1st three years of my skiing life.

That must have been a good look. Any piccies? Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Butterfly, I too bought a pair of cheap Big Air Goggles from a Ski Warehouse roadshow. They were great, and did the job fine. But hey fell apart after one and a half holidays. Mind you they only cost a tenner, and the RRP was £39. Yours sound more expensive and probably better quality. I'm sure they'll be fine, and you're bound to find a helmet to fit with them.

Elizabeth B, I wore free sunglasses from a Frosties cereal packet for my 1st two years of skiing. Tehy were bright pink big square things, but they did the job while I was a Slowy McSlow from Slowsville.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Charlatanefc, I'll see if I can find any....however they don't look that much different from my Oakleys. Just missing the O and the nice lenses!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all - feel much more positive about them now Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm sure you'll be fine, as said above, the UV is the important bit, as is the fit. I'd rather ski with my NF sunnies on where possible, but I do have Smith Regulator goggles if needed.

That said, in your OP, you mentioned helmets - I'll be wearing a helmet this year for the first time. The Smiths fit OK, but I've tried a mates Oakleys and they seem to fit a little better - might end up borrowing his rather than shell out another £70+ on stuff I don't need!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Butterfly, Glad to hear that you're getting a helmet too - will you take your googles with you when you go to try them on?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Butterfly, Many better skiers here than me and if 99p works then it works.

Having just bought some Alpina Quatroflex ( for flat light ) though I would suggest that Flat-Light goggles should be high priority shopping item before boots ( and just before a helmet) ... for all the reasons you list at the beginning of the thread .....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agenterre, due to the fact I'm too idle to go and search the threads could you remind us again what colour we need for 'flat light' please?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, Yellow or Persimmon is the normal favorite, but there are some trick alternatives, like some of the Irridium lens.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, Yellow or light orange .. but through 'polarisation' (sp??) some seem to 'illuminate' in flat light. When in Suisse try and blag a pair of 'Alpina Quatroflex' to see what you think ... but dont buy until you've tried on the slopes rather than in the shop . They do at least 3 models ... same colour lens, different shapes and one has light mirroring effect for 'brighter' days as well . Alpina seem to be no 1 brand in Suisse ( German I believe) if almost unheard of in the UK and cheaper than Bolle and other 'Brands' ...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I find good goggles are pretty much a necessity for skiing. As the OP found out the hard way, they can potentially ruin your holiday.
I really like Spy-Optics goggles and currently use their "Soldier" model. Top quality lenses, good anti-fogging vents, comfortable fit and look great. A bit pricey in the UK, but I got mine from the US for about £35 including shipping. Total bargain.
snow report
Talk about lets make it sound good, the spec of my current Birdz ones which have a mirror finish says:

100%UV Protection
Double Lens
Super Anti-Fog coated
Anti-scratch
Break Resistant
Impact Protection
Polycarbonate Lens
Revo Lens: 12 layers of coating, performance lens tints, better filter (transmittance) and UV protection of lenses.

I've just looked through them and they are grey tending to pink right at the very top - no good then for this flat light. Can I take it that flat light is the most usually encountered conditions?

Agenterre, Thanks for the tip about the Alpina quatroflex - I'll look out for them - the trouble with our small resort is that there isn't a ski gear shop (or any sort of shop beyond the resaurants) in the resort itself - I think there is in the shop at the bottom of the valley - about 8 miles back down the mountain and due to the hassle of the mostly one track road (with narrow tottery bridges - wince, sheer road edges in places - wince, the smell of the clutch once we're up there - DH wince and the ski buses upand down - wince), we don't tend to go back down once we've gone up. However, although I couldn't try them on a slope sometimes we find a shopping mall (if we don't manage to drive past it) near the boarder and this might stock them.
snow conditions
I have 3 pairs of new lidl goggles - some adult and some kids which cost £6 each.

don't fit any of our helmets... Embarassed

if anybody wants them for postage, pm me...
snow report
stoatsbrother wrote:
I have 3 pairs of new lidl goggles - some adult and some kids which cost £6 each.

don't fit any of our helmets... Embarassed

if anybody wants them for postage, pm me...

Laughing That'll teach ya.

Ebay 'em.
snow report
IMT, NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh wink
latest report
stoatsbrother, Twisted Evil
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy