Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Newbie snowHead here!

We have decided to go skiing for our 2 week honeymoon in December 08 - unfortunately we can't be flexible on dates so we will have to go over the Christmas and New Year period.

Being new to this skiing lark (I only learnt a year ago) I am trying to research resorts but keep getting horribly confused, and was hoping that the skiing bods here would have some pointers for a resort which ticks the followng boxes:

- good for intermediates (I can do reds and some blacks and am going a couple of times again before December, OH used to go a lot when he was younger and thinks he'll pick it up again easily)

- preferably Europe as 1) would rather spend the cash on accommodation rather than flights and 2) no jet lag (although I think this means we need to look for high altitude resorts to minmise risk of no snow)- will consider Canada/US if Europe doesn't tick enough boxes though

- modern, luxurious hotel/apartment (preferably with fireplaces in rooms and a spa) (would love a chalet but doubt can get one for two people only)

- ski-in, ski-out

- other activities in case we don't want to ski everyday for the 2 week period

- budget is not too much of an issue (but I am not a Russian oligarch!)

I am also worried that everywhere is already going to be booked up, but we can't be flexible with dates.

Any suggestions much appreciated. I've looked at Courchevel 1850, Lech, Zermatt but am being frightened by some of the hotel prices: £4k per person, per week for Hotel Le Melezin in Courchevel??!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lalu, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

If it were me, then I'd be looking again at Zermatt. I really don't think that you can beat the atmosphere there, and you certainly can't beat the scenery.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Elizabeth, it does look lovely - I am just a bit Shocked at some of the Christmas/New Year prices at the nicer hotels!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to snowHeads Smile

If I were you I would seriously consider flying to Calgary and hitting the area around Lake Louise - there's plenty to do both on and off the slopes.
The flights might be more expensive but for a two week holiday I reckon there won't be a huge difference overall considering everything. Jet lag isn't so bad when travelling west. And the hotels have fantastic spas/service etc.

James.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lalu, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Johnboy here had his honeymoon a few years ago in Lake Louise and I think he had a great time, staying in the Fairmont Hotel, if I remember correct. If he doesn't find this thread either PM him or make the title of this thread more specific, such as: where to go skiing for honeymoon. There is certainly lots to do in the Banff area other than skiing. snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lalu, I think I may have replied to you on another forum, glad you found your way over here!!

My name over there just doesn't have skis in it!!

D
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
icicle wrote:
If I were you I would seriously consider flying to Calgary and hitting the area around Lake Louise - there's plenty to do both on and off the slopes.

Lake Louise? Lots to do off the slopes? Not in the evening there isn't....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Guvnor, They'll be on their honeymoon...they'll think of something... Wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Guvnor wrote:

Lake Louise? Lots to do off the slopes? Not in the evening there isn't....

Well, it is their honeymoon............
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lech! Cosy, upmarket village. Access to the Arlberg.

If you have serious money, then Zurs, perhaps the Zurserhof, or even the Hospiz at St Christoph.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
awksquawk, icicle, Oh yeah, missed that little gem of information Embarassed

In which case, I can heartily recommend the Trofana Royale in Ischgl - I spent a week of my honeymoon there, and it ticked all the boxes - luxurious, fantastic food, brilliant facilities, ski in (out is a 200yard walk), many others will vouch for the town and the skiing area....

By the way, do we need to buy new hats for the impending nuptuals?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agree with Guvnor, Ischgl is fab, I would recommend as well as Lech.

D
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hiya and welcome Lalu, how about the Italian Dolomites, spectacular scenery, nice hotels, food, etc won't break the bank and the possibility of a few nights in Venice, the most romantic city in the World?

Some friends actually arranged to get married in the picture-perfect village church in Colfosco and spent their honeymoon in one of the nicer hotels there.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Friends have just come back from Fernie for Xmas and New Year and haven't stopped talking about it. Best holiday ever has been ringing in my ears since they returned

There was 10 of them in total so they rented a large chalet, but there were smaller places available.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Zeramtt is a spectacular spot with some excellent looking hotels (I've only stayed in modest pensions there). I'd certainly consider N.America, and Banff/LL would tick most of your boxes. The Banff Springs, in Banff (obviously), is for me a much better hotel than the Fairmont LL, although the view across the lake to the glacier from the Fairmont LL is pretty impressive. Mind you, the view along the Bow Valley from the BS is pretty good. LL is much, much quieter than Banff (and than almost anywhere else I've ever been), which may appeal, or not.

United Vacations offer flights to N.American resorts via United Airlines gateways, and you can spend a few days in the gateway in either direction. You could have a few days in Chicago (bit parky) and/or New York as well as your skiing. I expect other TOs do the same sort of thing.
snow report
Hi all, thanks for all your suggestions!

Deliaskis, yes, you may have noticed this was worded rather similarly to the other forum! wink

I am very excited about it all, just worried that the Christmas/NY timing will send prices sky-rocketing... Luigi, I like the idea of spending some time in Venice, as I think 2 weeks of solid skiing may be a bit much.

I am off on my 3rd and 4th ski-trips in March (3 days with work in St Moritz and a week with friends in Courchevel 1650) so I am hoping to regain my newly discovered ski legs and impress my OH Laughing - I have been nosing through the forum for more information on those resorts too.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy