Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

edging tools

Poster: A snowHead
just bought a demon edging tool to take on ski trips (some are long...).

skiing metron B5s - should i use 89 or 88 degrees & what type of surface & skiing does measurement each suit?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
88 all snow all skiing all Atomic carvers.

(Assuming, of course, that the 88 refers to the enclosed angle and that the base bevel is 1 degree and the side bevel 87 degrees from the base plastic).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
comprex wrote:
88 all snow all skiing all Atomic carvers. (Assuming, of course, that the 88 refers to the enclosed angle and that the base bevel is 1 degree and the side bevel 87 degrees from the base plastic).

comprex, that's a bit of a confusing reply as the enclosed angle is never referred to when specifying angles as one has to know the existing base edge angle to be able to specify the side angle.

riverwhy, All Atomic's are 1,3 from the factory including their powder skis, ie 1 degree base & 3 degree side edge angle. 3 degrees is also the same as 87. Side edge guides either measure the angle from the vertical (3 degrees) or horizontal (87 degrees). So don't use either the 89 or 88 setting & select the 87. If your tool doesn't have an 87 degree setting then send it back & get one that does. Have you got an alu-oxide stone for removing case hardened dings before using your tool & a gummi stone for removing the hanging burr afterwards?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon, yes, I freely admit it is confusing. Nonetheless, I have seen the enclosed angle referred to both on this website and elsewhere.
snow report
 bloxy
bloxy
[quote="riverwhy"]just bought a demon edging tool to take on ski trips (some are long...).

skiing metron B5s - should i use 89 or 88 degrees & what type of surface & skiing does measurement each suit?[/quote

Atomic factory angles are 3 degrees side, 1 degree base.

Trust Spyderjohn Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Had me worried there for a minute comprex when you said go for 88 - I've got a pair of M5B11s and a pair of Nomad Crimsons and recently bought an 87 from Spyderjon.

spyderjon, when just doing edge-touch ups I thought it was diamond file then alu-oxide stone then gummi. Have I got the first two the wrong way round in the order of things?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PhilG wrote:
spyderjon, when just doing edge-touch ups I thought it was diamond file then alu-oxide stone then gummi. Have I got the first two the wrong way round in the order of things?

Correct order is: alu-ox to remove case hardened burrs/dings etc - then diamond file(s) suitably lubricated - then gummi to remove the hanging burr on the base edge caused by the sharpening. If the edges are so dull to require sharpening with a metal file then this is done before using the diamond file(s).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, gotcha, thanks for the clear-up.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks for the replies guys.

spyderjohn - yes i do have the tools you mention, but I wanted something to keep in my pocket when skiing. Re the Demon edging tool, it's 88/90. I'm told you can't get a pocket tool that's 87.. what difference am i going to feel between 87 & 88 ? I presume 87 is for optimum performance.. what am i not going to be able to do at 88 ?
I bought the file guide when i had my apache crossfires & i think that is 88 too...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
riverwhy wrote:
......spyderjohn - yes i do have the tools you mention, but I wanted something to keep in my pocket when skiing. Re the Demon edging tool, it's 88/90. I'm told you can't get a pocket tool that's 87......

You can from me - either an Edge Trick tool or a Moonflex Minituner. Apart from the angle issue (there isn't a ski on the market shipped with a 90 angle), the problem with the Demon is that it contain a metal file which is too aggressive for regular use. A metal file should only be used occasionally & instead regularly use a diamond stone/file to keep the edge sharp. A metal file is also the wrong tool to have in your pocket/backpack, an alu-oxide stone being waaay better with maybe a diamond as well.

riverwhy wrote:
.....what difference am i going to feel between 87 & 88 ? I presume 87 is for optimum performance.. what am i not going to be able to do at 88?

Most of the time you won't notice the difference although you'll be unnesesarily removing edge material to reduce the edge to 88. However you've got Metron B5's that are a longitundinally & torsionallty stiff short radius high performance carver with a factory 87 edge that gives superb edge hold so it seems strange to me that it isn't retained, afterall you never know when you need good edges until you need 'em.

Return the Demon tool & do the job properly wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
you're right about the aggressive edge Jon.. it's like a b*stard file! I was a bit surprised by that, but anyway, haven't yet used it.

you're also right about edge grip - i suspect my edges are more 88 than 87 right now & they skidded a bit on the ice in kitzbuhel a week or so ago.

so - how do i get the right stuff from you?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
riverwhy, have a peruse of the online store on my website & if you have any queries give me a call (see the 'contact' section for my numbers.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
this is probably a stoopid question but is there an easy place to find out what the angles are on skis straight from the factory?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
vivski, Yes, find the factory's website and send 'em an email - I got a response back from Elan in about 10 minutes today.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
vivski, I've compiled a list on my website of makes/models I've verified as the problem is that they factories don't always produce the skis to match they're own specs rolling eyes

http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/31/41/
latest report
spyderjon, so what is your opinion of the just do all skis 0.5-1 base and 3 side theory?
snow report
nessy wrote:
spyderjon, so what is your opinion of the just do all skis 0.5-1 base and 3 side theory?

I was taught/advised by Mike DeSantis who now is co-owner of Precision Tuning Center in Framingham, MA, USA. This is Mike's CV:

Graduate Stratton Mountain Ski Academy
University of Vermont Ski Team
9 years Alpine Coach at Stratton Mt. School
7 years World Cup Technician/Race Director for Volkl
4 years Product Development Manger for Volkl
Member Volkl International Test Team

Mike recommends a true* 1 base and a 3 degree side & so I've always tuned my skis to 1,3 irrespective of function & as I've been skiing Atomic's until recently this meant I didn't have to alter my angles. So if it's good enough for Mike it's good enough for me.

Some question the durability of a 3 degree side edge but Mike says a 2 & 3 side bevel stay equally sharp for the same amount of time & I've not found any difference either. Interestingly Volkl ship all their skis with a 2 degree side edge which Mike said is because most shops have their machines set to 2 so there's less chance of them altering the feel for the user. So basically Volk's edge angle has been chosen for marketing reasons & not performance.

*It's important to remember that it's actually the base edge angle that has a greater effect on how a ski actually skis - with most people over bevelling the base edge meaning the ski has to be tipped a long way over to get the edge to engage. I often see skis with what their owvers tell me is a 1 degree base edge but is actually 1.5-2 degrees.
snow report
spyderjon, thanks Very Happy must have missed that on my trips round the website!! rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy