Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kirchdorf, Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
'I'm a complete beginner, where do I go?'

I thought I'd start this thread in an effort to help those in a similar position to that of mrs Spurs and I last year:

Kirchdorf is a very small village, little apres ski..but we could have cared less, too tired after our day's instruction to do more than have a couple of drinks in the hotel bar before bed.

Resort height. 800m..not good, but we were there for two weeks in Jan last year, the worst part of the worst year in ages for Austra/the Alps and we only missed one day skiing due to high winds/rain...we ski'd the first week and a half at resort. and your all inclusive pass allows your instructor to take you (on the free ski bus) to any of the many nearby higher slopes, we went to Steinplatte on our second week, very high, very white.

Instruction, The ski school is nothing short of brilliant and all ages are catered for. We had a 70 yr old in our group, and they have a separate kiddies area on the nursury slope. You start off on the very gentle slope at the bottom, progressing to the rope tow that takes you up about 5 terrifying metres Very Happy Then onto the T-bar that goes to the top of the nursery slope. There is a chair lift that goes higher, but there was not enough snow when I was there for it to be open.
Every morning/afternoon the instructors will say "okay, we're going do this now, watch me" and you stand there and watch, and say to yourself "no way!!" The following session, the instructors will be saying "okay, we're going to try this now, watch me" and you'll be saying to yourself "no way!!" but you'll do it, and the previous session's "no way!!" becomes easy. It sounds scary but it's not, you spend almost as much time being incapable of skiing because of laughter at your own/partner's/groupmate's fall as you do skiing yourself.

Extra plusses, The instructors put on a ski show every Tuesday evening, great fun and you get to see how it CAN be done, and there is a race on the friday with proper starting gates and all. They start the beginners from halfway down the slope, don't worry.
On the friday evening they have the prize presentation disco which is a great time for unwinding before your trip home the following day.

We stayed at the Hotel Marliesenhof which is probably furthest away from the slope, (Alphof is ON the slope and does great lunches..Stiegl beer, hmmmm) but we didn't find it a problem. The ski bus stopped outside the hotel every morning to take us to 'school' and we never bothered waiting for it after lessons...it was only a pleasant 15 minute walk back, and Marlies (the owner) is wonderful, she took us into Kitsbuhl one evening to see the sights, her husband gave us a lift to the ski-hire shop on the first evening so that we didn't have to queue up on the sunday morning, and he also gave us a lift to St Johann on our day off.

This is a personal recommendation, Krchdorf is the only skiing resort I've been to; had I gone somewhere else I might have been just as enthusiastic about there, but I didn't..I went to Kirchdorf...and now mrs Spurs and I are addicted to skiing, so that must say something?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for that - think it is so useful to have recommendations for complete beginners as most snowheads seem to be able to ski backwards with eyes shut and when you are completely new to it you need a personal account from another novice.

We went to Soll for first time last year and I asked on here for advice for a 2nd trip and someone suggested avoiding Sweden as they only had hills - we went nevertheless and for 2nd timers it was perfect and quite high enough for our ability.

Did Kronplatz - Italy at Xmas and now just plotting 4th trip away as we are hooked too -currently wavering between Soll again or Neiderau - which also looks beginner ish so I'm wondering now if we are even beyond that and I can't believe we left it so late to do this!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy